Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #16
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,776
other thing to consider it reducing your chances of a puncture. you can get either heavy duty or ultra heavy duty tubes. the latter weigh a fair bit but it takes a lot to hole them.

plus they are so bulky it's like having about 7psi and at least with the front you can still ride home if you take it easy and the bead remains unbroken..
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,140
I carry the spares and tools, and there's a carton for whoever changes the tube for me.

I couldn't even change my pushy tube without putting a whole in it as a kid.

Pauls Spot Tracker http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mgxmQRRUCqrKiY
BygDaddee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I've always carried levers, patches and a front tube for the last 15+ yrs in the bush, but running UHD bridgstone tubes, have never needed them.

Rode the DR home about 70 klms on a flat front once as I didn't think I'd need the bumbag....

Two things that worry me about a flat on the DR are:

1) Breaking the bead on the rear wheel - do most of you blokes carry some sort of bead breaking tool ?

2) Inflating the repair - I only carry a mountain bike hand pump which I doubt will set the bead after a repair. On the enduro bikes, with MX knobbies, it seats itself after a few klms - not sure if the DOT type tyres will do that ?
The compact electric pumps, like pictured earlier, would be ideal but how bulky are they and what sort of a drain do they put on the battery. The car type ones can pull a few amps.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #19
felixblack1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
1. easiest way if you're with another bike is to use their sidestand to break the bead. works a treat
2. after using a hand pump i tend to find the bead will seat itself once you get up some speed
Start the bike up and let it idle while you use an electric pump. The DR650's stator is running at full output at idle

The below link helped me a lot
http://www.ktm950.info/how/Tire%20Sh...re_change.html

felixblack1 screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 12:46 PM
felixblack1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixblack1 View Post
1. easiest way if you're with another bike is to use their sidestand to break the bead. works a treat
2. after using a hand pump i tend to find the bead will seat itself once you get up some speed
Start the bike up and let it idle while you use an electric pump. The DR650's stator is running at full output at idle

The below link helped me a lot
http://www.ktm950.info/how/Tire%20Sh...re_change.html
Some good info in that link - but doing it at home is easy with proper dirt bike rims that don't have a safety bead like the DR does on the rear. I have found it's not possible to break the bead on the rear DR rim with boots on. I'll give the sidestand trick a go next time I change a tyre.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #21
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,328
Most standard tool boxes on bikes won't take much more than the standard tool kit. So you'll need to find somewhere to store the tyre levers at least, usually some hose clamps around them and some bit of the frame that you can get too does the job.

The 'safety' bead on rims is a problem. Some remove it entirely, there was a posting on it here some years ago. IIRC they used a router. An alternative is to remove a section of it, you only need to get it started so a section opposite the valve stem may be the less work and safer?
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
outsider580 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I pulled the wheel off the Klr last night and had a go at changing the tube ( first attempt)
I got the tyre off Ok and replaced the tube but it looks like I have pinched the new tube with the levers while getting the tyre back on.

Any tips for avoiding that ?

The tyre had a Horseshoe nail in it.......
outsider580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,815
Fit rimlocks so you can decide if you should fix the flat now or when it stops snowing. ( also reduces the risk of the tyre peeling off when you get a blowout at speed)

A couple of years ago a mate rode all the way down mt hotham with a flat front rather than fix it on a cold wet night. I'n not recomending it, but nobody was complaining at the time! Don't expect the tube to survive if you ride with a flat, but everyone carries a spare tube on our rides. It's rocky around here so we get used to fixing flats. I've timed one of the better guys at 3 1/2 mins on someone elses bike

Incidentally, when you're working out how to fit tyre levers to the bike , have a think about fitting a spare clutch lever. Steep rocky country is a bitch without a clutch.

Tips to reduce pinched: semi inflate the tube before starting, take small bites with each lever and do a little wiggle after inserting it to be sure no tube pinched
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #24
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
Before a ride:

As Philth says do your own tyre changes at home for practice. Fit Ultra Heavy Duty tubes. Put a heap of baby powder in the tyre to help stop pinch flats and chaffing.

What I carry:

Spare front tube in a tube bag on the front guard (as mentioned does the rear to get you out of trouble) On a big ride or multi day ride I'll take 2 fronts and a rear.

Left to right:

C02 bottles and adapter, big patches and patch glue - not for the tube but to use as a gator in case of a split tyre (or cut a piece from the removed tube and use). The red things are 'bead buddies' to hold the bead down one side while you work the levers the other. Tyre levers - I prefer the ones with 'pointy' ends like these Ballards ones. I cut the crappy wheel spanners you get with the bike and welded to the levers. A pump in case I run out of C02's. Lastly, this thingo is brilliant, you can prop your bike up under the footpeg while you fix the tyre. It's not stable enough to use while you're removing the rear wheel but it saves your mate standing there balancing your bike, when he could be fixing the tyre for you . Probably could just use a branch but what if you're on the Nullabour and there's no trees?

The thingo in action - Thanks to Backonthebike for sourcing these for us.

For the front, prop it up against a tree, fence or old sign while your mate stands there with a dumb look on his face

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club

kipo screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 03:51 PM
kipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #25
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Kipo,

I made a 'thingo' too. Mines a little different as it uses a peice if all thread that you cand wind up by hand, but the same priciple applies.

If you drill a small hole in the front area of the bash plate, you can poke the end of your lifter into it to lift the front wheel too !
Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Steve View Post
Hi Kipo,

I made a 'thingo' too. Mines a little different as it uses a peice if all thread that you cand wind up by hand, but the same priciple applies.

If you drill a small hole in the front area of the bash plate, you can poke the end of your lifter into it to lift the front wheel too !
Yeah, I thought about making something but Backonthebike did a group buy from O/S on these. For $30 I couldn't be bothered making one.

Cheers

Old 01-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #27
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,207
Good advice from everyone. I'd be embarrassed to call the RACQ to come fix a tyre for me. Problem with carrying all the gear is that you end up donating it all to your mates who are too slack to carry it (or know you always do!)
pete40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #28
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete40 View Post
Good advice from everyone. I'd be embarrassed to call the RACQ to come fix a tyre for me. Problem with carrying all the gear is that you end up donating it all to your mates who are too slack to carry it (or know you always do!)
I've got a bit of a reputation as the 'pack mule' over the years from my mates who all laugh and say "she'll be right, Kipo will have it". So, I've told them tools, tubes etc., are VERY expensive to hire out in the bush. A carton of beer service fee applies

Old 01-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #29
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipo View Post
I've got a bit of a reputation as the 'pack mule' over the years from my mates who all laugh and say "she'll be right, Kipo will have it". So, I've told them tools, tubes etc., are VERY expensive to hire out in the bush. A carton of beer service fee applies
Ha ha! Same price for mine!
Old 01-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #30
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
I have always carried two tubes and all the gear andd can change tyres with out too much drama.
. On my last ride I got a flat, I stared at the tire and went, frig it, I can't be buggered doing this in the bush. I'd rather fix it at camp so I can have a coffee first. So I rode some 25 odd K's through the bush and then 10 down the bitumen on the flat. Brand spanking new Geomax too. When I got to camp I spotted an expresso van and while I was getting my coffee spotted a bloke changing tyres for $20 a pop. So I sat in a comfy chair sipping my flat white watching my tube get changed for $20 plus tube. Total gold, The geomax held up well too.

So this got me thinking, if someone got a coffee van and put a tyre changing machine in it and went 'On call' they'd make a killing.

crash n bern is offline   Reply With Quote