User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
livetosail OP
Wayward Traveler

Oddometer: 130
An Alabama Afternoon

It was unseasonably warm down here on the Gulf Coast this week. The weatherman specifically mentioned that Saturday would be a beautiful for a ride.

This is what welcomed me this morning.

So I took to the forums and spent some time planning today's adventure.

With a route planned and my riding buddy (fellow inmate, Bridwell52) all suited up, we set out for a fast ride through the slower pace of southern Alabama.

The weather was ideal for riding; partly sunny 70-75 degrees with a light wind. I started to smell the warm smells of pine trees and dead leaves as we moved away from the coast and into the winding backroads of the country.

Our first stop was a closer look at the rivers which wind their way through the backcountry.

It was wonderfully quiet along the river. Lots of small homes tucked neatly into the woods. Folks waived from their front porches as we passed. Very peaceful and relaxing.

I was warned that rural Alabama is a very unique place. As we prepared to leave the river front I noticed this brain sitting on the ground nearby... I'd call that unique.

Not sure what unlucky creature left its head on the side of the river today...

Back on the road Bridwell52 and I cruised through the long twisties and enjoyed the scenery.

We stopped in at the Stagecoach Cafe in Stockton to grab some eats. Neither of us made it to the Last Ride of the Year this year, so I was glad to be able to check out the cafe for lunch.

I wasn't disappointed. Good southern home cooking. I made the grave mistake of sampling everything and topping it off with a helping of peach cobbler. Climbing back on the bike after lunch was a chore as all I wanted to do was lie down and take a nap.

We struck out for some spirited riding on the backroads in search of nothing in particular.

We visited Ft. Mims, a frontier settlement well known in the area as the site of a massacre of hundreds of early settlers and soldiers.

It was a simple and tasteful site.

We weren't the only ones who thought riding today would be a good idea. I think we must have passed at least 10 different groups of riders.

Clouds continued to grow as the afternoon grew long so we decided to call it a day and head home.

The ride had been just fast enough, and at the same time the pace seemed slow and relaxed.

...And this is what welcomed me when I arrived home.

Here's to a beautiful ride through a beautiful state.

livetosail screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 09:22 PM
livetosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
who in the hell randomly finds a brain next to the river??
that is some funny shit.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
livetosail OP
Wayward Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
who in the hell randomly finds a brain next to the river??
that is some funny shit.
What, that's not normal in Alabama?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
toolguy1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Pretty normal in Ala. Lol
toolguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
livetosail OP
Wayward Traveler

They're harvesting brains!!!!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Where is Ft. Mims? I like to ride the backroads down to Orange Beach from Huntsville and I was looking for some new rds to chech out.The last time I came down hwy 31 and it was a nice ride.We have a big group that plays golf there in the fall and spring and I let them carry my clubs and I ride down.
telejojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
livetosail OP
Wayward Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
Where is Ft. Mims?
Gooooood question...

I was a stranger in these parts and didn't use my GPS. PM fellow inmate bridwell52. He knows the region quite well.

Cheers!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
Paul Simpson
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Creek Indians

Great info. My house (log home built in 1724), is in Meansville, GA, about 200 miles from Ft Mims. The Creeks owned the land when the cabin was built. It was a stagecoach stop at one time. Interesting history for me, thanks.