Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,261
I purchase my 12GS with out wheels, she came on a crate on a 18wheler, What I did to bring her down and into my house (the street was to narrow for the 18wheler to maneuver anyway) is a hire a "tilt bed" tow truck that made the job totally painless (sorry I don't have photos) hey even back the truck into my driveway and with the help of the tilt bed deposit the bike into my garage, did I mention it was snowing like crazy..

So for $90 I got the bike to be transport from outside the city but also drop exactly where I need it..
Old 01-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #17
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
+1 on cutting the box open in the bed of my truck and taking it out piece by piece.. wasnt too hard.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,636
I just slid the crate, as slowly as possible, out of the pickup . . . .

Note Bene, I unfastened teh lil cables that hold the tailgate at a 90 degreee angle when open, because they didn't look strong enough to support the weitgh of the crated lift . . .

the end of the crate wound up dropping the 3 feet, and this did absolutely no damage to the lift what so ever . . . . .

Months later, I helped a buddy get one home, and we did the same thing, with the same results.

It's a pretty stout series of steel pieces, and not very fragile.

Don't over think it.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.

bomber60015 screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 01:13 PM
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #19
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Tilt bed trailer. Tilt it up, slides right off.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
VTvfr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Was just about to ask the same thing as I'm planning to grab one this week.

According to their website, the shipping weight is 339lbs.

'07 990 Adv
'07 250 XC-W
(plated)
'03 600RR
(track duty only now)
'94 VFR750 (sold)
VTvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #21
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer: 316
Used the front bucket on my backhoe -- I'm sure that helps you out.

Couple 2x6s for ramps - too much friction, grease the planks - if you have to move any distance, move to rollers.
a bar for prying and inching the crate along
Come-along if you have an anchor point

Watch the toes and fingers - maybe not wise to have kids around - remember even some adults can be kids.

Bokrijder
Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #22
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,287
On the other end of the scale, if you have to think about this, maybe having a bike lift isn't a good idea for you? Not being snarky just wistfully opining. 339lbs is not real problematic. Have the store put the crate in the truck the way you want for easier unloading. Slide the heavy end of the crate out first and down the 2 long 2x6x10/12'. That ought to be enough leverage to get the light end down to the floor without killing oneself. Kick a fulcrum under the 2x6's to catch some weight if you need to?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #23
FixerDave
KLR650 - XR200R

Oddometer: 373
I've bought lots of stuff that was too heavy to move. No problem... all you need is time, smarts, and maybe some steel-toed boots

Seriously... I moved 4'x10'x1/4" steel plate (4 sheets of the stuff) by trailer. Had 6 guys help me load it (helpful bunch, $25 per sheet) but unloaded myself. A big tree, a little chain, some bolts... hook up, drive away, CLANG!, backup, repeat. On the ground, a wrecking bar gave enough leverage to push them into place (I now have a steel driveway). I unloaded a crated mill (450lb) from a van... just slid it down some 2x4s. One inch at a time, ropes to keep things from moving too far, a little bit of prying this way and that to move said inch.

A little brains and going slow, making sure you have a plan for what comes next (once you start, --stuff-- will come next), is all I've ever really used. Of course, I do have an engine hoist, and a chain hoist, and chains, and ropes, and tie-downs (which get used for everything but the bike these days)... Never actually needed those boots, but I wear 'em just in case. Sooner or latter, as they say.

If you're in a rush or don't have any ideas... or your last few ideas didn't work out so well... maybe best to get professional help. When in doubt, watch some YouTube... should give you plenty of ideas about what not to do and how things can go horribly wrong... Sorry, this is probably sliding into unhelpful territory

David...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #24
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,523
I had a friend pick mine up for me on a out of town trip so he had to help me get it out of his truck.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #25
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
So I assume the OP does not have a pickup truck or trailer. In a choice of a Home Depot flatbed truck or a U-haul, the U-haul wins hands down. The bed height is probably half as tall as the Depot flatbed. Plus,the U-haul has a ramp,and that is a winner if the ramp is wider than the bike lift. A few pieces of PVC pipes under the cargo,and it should move easily.
Take a few 2x4 blocks to place under the motorcycle lift when they load it,and easier still.
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #26
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,213
Have any furniture dollies? You know, the ones with four casters? I had help unloading my lift out of my truck bed but I still needed to move it up the driveway and into the garage by myself. Since the lift is unassembled in the crate, simply removing the crate and rolling it on its own was not an option. Anyhow, the furniture dollies helped.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #27
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
Have any furniture dollies? You know, the ones with four casters? I had help unloading my lift out of my truck bed but I still needed to move it up the driveway and into the garage by myself. Since the lift is unassembled in the crate, simply removing the crate and rolling it on its own was not an option. Anyhow, the furniture dollies helped.
HF has some. They are cheap, but good!

http://www.harborfreight.com/movers-dolly-93888.html

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #28
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Perhaps a bit off topic, at least a little.

http://www.amazon.com/Moving-Heavy-T.../dp/0937822825
Tim McKittrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #29
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 220
I have the Handy BOB lift. Quite a bit heavier than the HF lift and had to use an engine hoist to unload it.
I've transported that lift many times as we use it at trade-shows to display bikes. It take at least 4 strong guys to get it off the pallet!

One tip I could give is to strap around the entire lift and legs before you move it. That way it won't try to open up on you while you're moving it.
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #30
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
Slide it out onto a raised floor jack.
This is the way I did it alone. Just think about what you're doing, plan your steps, and take your time.