User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Pedro's Jupiter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Question R80 G/S fork leak

So, I decided to rebuild my R80 G/S forks and completely disassembled them; this included removing the large plug at the bottom of each fork that the large hex nut that secures the damper rod and small drain screw insert into. Now I wish I left that plug alone!

The problem encountered is that the O ring that seals the plug by fitting up inside the fork tube needed replacement but does not appear on BMW parts microfiche diagrams and I am told by a respected BMW parts supplier is not available. The correct size O ring isn't available locally & using Napa "sleeve retainer" as a sealant resulted in significant fork oil leaks.

I would appreciate advice on either the BMW part number for this O ring or a source for such O ring or other ideas on how to seal this plug.

Many thanks!
Pedro's Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Oring replacement

Try this first . Buy a sealing washer . On the outside bolt place this washer. Torque to spec . Maxbmw has a online parts search as does BikeBandit.com Normally BmW will provide the dimension of the Oring . You can then source the appropriate size.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,421
They're either fiddy or fiddy-five cents each depending on which ones you're talking about and yes, they are still sold. Probably much cheaper at napa though.

10 07 11 9 963 010 GASKET RING - A5X7,5
2 $0.50

11 12 31 2 322 411 FILLISTER-HEAD SCREW - M5X80.01 2 $0.50
12 07 11 9 963 151 GASKET RING - A12X17-CU
2 $0.55

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Pedro's Jupiter OP
Adventurer

thanks for the fast responses!
The O rings shown in the above response are indeed for hex bolts # 13 and #14, however these two bolts screw into a large diameter plug (about 1.5") that fits into the bottom of the fork shaft. This large plug is the one I removed and needs sealing and is not shown in the parts diagram, nor is the rubber O ring of about 1.5" diameter that seals the plug. The rubber O ring sits against a slight shelf / groove about 1 1/4 inch up inside the shaft. Once I take it apart again I will post a photo of the plug.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Pedro's Jupiter OP
Adventurer

Eek

Well, I have now have photos and am embarrassed to say that my search for instructions on how to post them isn't successful. Where would I find photo posting instructions?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,648
I had trouble finding the large o-ring too, never did find the P/N. Ended up going to a hydraulic rubber a gasket place to get the closest o-ring available. Of course it was a little bigger in thickness than stock. I had to use a hydraulic press on the plug to compress the o-ring enough to get the circlip in place. it is awkward but can be done. Make sure the circlip is fully seated in the grove.

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 02:20 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,797
For directions on how to post a picture; Go to the section titled "Fluff"

In Fluff find "Ask Baldy, blame AceRph"

Look for thread titled, "How to post an Image"

Here's a link but you will next time be able to find it, right?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

You do need to have a photo Account somewhere else, other than AdvRider, to host pics you post. If you still have trouble ask again or you can write me.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
Pedro's Jupiter OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the link to photo instructions; in the meantime I located the proper sized O ring on the Mcmaster.com web site. For anyone who also seeks this o-ring here are the specs:
width - 1.5 mm
i.d. - 39 mm
o.d. - 41.5 mm
Mcmaster part number 9262k661 for a package of 100. If someone needs some of these, contact me as I will soon have 98 of 'em unused.

Alternatively Napa "right stuff" gasket maker was suggested, but would likely be messy and imprecise.