User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Sharing Roads OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
KTM Fuel comsuption problems/solutions needed

I recently picked up a 9fiddy for a friend, which will be with me for a while, and I get to pilot it for that time.
I took it for a ride on sunday, and before I left I filled both tanks.
With some highway conditions doing 120 -139km/h, to town riding start/stop and secondary roads 60km/h to 110km/h.

On the full tank I only managed 200km, and excluding the little bit of overflow when I filled (Yes I knew but still overfilled it) there was a strong smell of fuel the entire trip.
It currently has original, but gutted pipes on. The header pipes did turn a bit blueish, which to me means the mixture is wrong in the carbs, and needs to be adjusted.

According to the previous owner the carbs were synced 400km ago, but I do not think the jets were checked.

Any idea on what to look at or ajust without major servicing of said carbs.
Sharing Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
If it smelled like gas, I'd start looking for fuel leaks in the lines and at the petcocks. It shouldn't smell like gas.
1992 Subaru SVX daily
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,974
the gutted pipes would i guess make it run richer , less back pressure. stick your finger in the tail pipie and check it. turn it back to stock jetting and pipes, check headers are tight .they have shit loads enuff power for what they are i rekon. but yes more is better, but its not worth the rooting around if you don't know the right stuff.so if someone has stuffed with the pipes that could just be the beggining of a whole line of baghat bodgies! also check your vent pipes and hoses down low for good measure. but that milage is not super low . i was getting 220 before light came on 990 with similar right hand action. you can get 300 and more if you don't mind being passed by scooters or kids on scooters.

Gimme 2 screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 11:06 PM
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Sharing Roads OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2 View Post
you can get 300 and more if you don't mind being passed by scooters or kids on scooters.
Scooters will never pass me. It is the nature off the beast.

I am convinced people stuff up bikes due to stupidity. Gutting a pipe to "make it better", why the hell does KTM have engineers who designed it for proper pressure and all if they could only slip a open pipe on?

Stripping it on Monday (Yes this week I have to use it often) and will look at all the pipes and fitting as well.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
Sharing Roads OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
If it smelled like gas, I'd start looking for fuel leaks in the lines and at the petcocks. It shouldn't smell like gas.

I think if it had a leak on the fuel line or petcocks, it would be seen even when bike is standing.
I did leave it on for a while to see if anything pumps out, but no signs anywhere of leakes.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharing Roads View Post

I am convinced people stuff up bikes due to stupidity. Gutting a pipe to "make it better", why the hell does KTM have engineers who designed it for proper pressure and all if they could only slip a open pipe on?

Stripping it on Monday (Yes this week I have to use it often) and will look at all the pipes and fitting as well.
Yeah, well originally it was designed to run with a 2-1 open akrapovic:) (LC8 950 Rally)
Old 10-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #7
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharing Roads View Post

Stuff it up eh??? My 950 has a home made rally style single system, homemade Mikuni vac pump setup, homemade ITG filter (with Sportingwood grommets ) Factory Pro jetting exactly as the kit suggests, 16/45 gearing. Now I like to ride it properly (I have a pile of bald 908s) but not on the limiter most of the time and put 13.8 Litres in it on sunday for 259km. Work that out. It will take 23L dead empty soooo... 431km. Will fill both tanks on sunday, turn the RH one off, reset the trip and gps then run it again just to see and report back if you like.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #8
Sharing Roads OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr View Post
Stuff it up eh??? My 950 has a home made rally style single system, homemade Mikuni vac pump setup, homemade ITG filter (with Sportingwood grommets ) Factory Pro jetting exactly as the kit suggests, 16/45 gearing. Now I like to ride it properly (I have a pile of bald 908s) but not on the limiter most of the time and put 13.8 Litres in it on sunday for 259km. Work that out. It will take 23L dead empty soooo... 431km. Will fill both tanks on sunday, turn the RH one off, reset the trip and gps then run it again just to see and report back if you like.
Please do. Also any links on what you did ITG, Factory jets and all those.

Please note - I have nothing against anybody doing mods to the system ie gutting the pipes, but do it right. Do lots of homework (so many sites offer great advice and how to) and then do it right. I am fairly convinced the carbs are not set correctly.

431 - I will take that anytime.
Sprockets I have not checked, but they were set up by the previous owner for touring, not sport.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2 View Post
the gutted pipes would i guess make it run richer , less back pressure. stick your finger in the tail pipie and check it. turn it back to stock jetting and pipes, check headers are tight .they have shit loads enuff power for what they are i rekon. but yes more is better, but its not worth the rooting around if you don't know the right stuff.so if someone has stuffed with the pipes that could just be the beggining of a whole line of baghat bodgies! also check your vent pipes and hoses down low for good measure. but that milage is not super low . i was getting 220 before light came on 990 with similar right hand action. you can get 300 and more if you don't mind being passed by scooters or kids on scooters.
You got it backwards. Less backpressure = leaner, because there is more airflow and the same amount of fuel flow.

Mine is jetted on the rich side, and I get around 170 miles to the tank before the light comes on.
1992 Subaru SVX daily
Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Yup "gutting the pipes" will make a carb model run leaner, not richer. Now if they compensated for it(which they should have), then yes it might be jetted more rich than stock....if that is what you really meant. But that doesn't mean it runs rich.
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 891
99% of these on the road are improperly jetted, whether or not its all factory or running open pipes. I see low end richness as always the problem! Every freaking time!

Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
Sharing Roads OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
99% of these on the road are improperly jetted, whether or not its all factory or running open pipes. I see low end richness as always the problem! Every freaking time!

So help me solve it
Old 10-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,791
Gonna need major servicing of said carbs.

When I got mine it had 45 pilots, 1.5 - 2mm float heights AND a UNI pre-filter. I'm amazed the thing even ran.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Gonna need major servicing of said carbs.

When I got mine it had 45 pilots, 1.5 - 2mm float heights AND a UNI pre-filter. I'm amazed the thing even ran.
quoted for holy shit. Mine was super lean when I got it. 1 turn out on the IAMS...wouldn't hardly run without the choke on. Rich everywhere else though, which I'm still in the process of trying to fix.

Once you figure out how to get the carbs out, they really aren't that bad. Don't bother unhooking the cables unless you're really going to dive in; you can do most things with them still connected if you're feeling lazy.
1992 Subaru SVX daily
Old 10-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #15
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,791
I'd vote undo the cables and get them on the bench. Float heights are everything. You will be chasing your tail if those aren't very carefully set.
I like four mm...others running full airboxes say three. It needs to be checked and set though. Everything else you do hinges on this step.