Newbie ? Riding gear= Motoport

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 2step, Jan 13, 2013.

1. 2step

2step n00b

Oddometer:
    I've always been a jeans and T shirt kinda rider. I'm not an aggressive rider anymore but am feeling that as I age (56) I won't heal up as I did as a pup. So being more concerned with longevity than style. I'm looking at protective riding gear. I have a LBZ mesh riding jacket that's really a stunters style jacket. Helmet and boots always.
    Missouri is a helmet state,
    I'm looking at getting a Motoport Air Mesh jacket and some kind of over pants. Maybe the racing gloves. I've read tons of post here and elsewhere about them. I'm looking for skid resistance and impact protection if something goes wrong. I need good vented gear for the Hot, Humid summers in Misery.
    My questions are:
    1 - are they really worth the price over a Revit or Olympia Riding set?
    2 - Has anyone ordered by mail and got the wrong fit? if so what happened?
    3 - How stiff is the Air Mesh Kelvar? Has it scratched your gas tank or leather seat?
    4 - Are the gloves stiff on your hands while on the bars? My hands tend to cramp up using leather gloves. It could be a fit issue. They don't do that without gloves or thin gloves that provide no protection.
    5 - Having trouble getting the measurement for the Knee armor placement on the over pants.
    6 - Any ordering advice regarding sizing ect?

I've spoken to Motoport a couple of times and I am about ready to pull the trigger. Just not made of money and want to make a good decision and get gear that's comfortable and protective.
    Thanks for your thoughts and sorry about the long post. Rick
  2. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Crashmaster wore Motoport gear on a 2 year jaunt through <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region> and <st1:place>South America</st1:place>. He loved it and had a bad crash at the beginning if his trip.
    Below is a link to a crash report by him. :evil
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507934<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  3. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    See below.

4. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:

I would say StuartV nailed it here.............also,if your having measurement issues,use the 1-800 number and talk to Wayne or one of his staff...they will get you through this!.

Also,make sure you order the "right" material for the surroundings your going to be riding in.....Humid vs. Arid....will make a big difference in YOUR experience with the gear.
  5. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can only speak about the pants. I ordered a pair of the Police Air Mesh Pants.

I sent no measurements only a pair of broken in jeans that fit me just right. The pants he sent me fit me perfectly.
    I love them. I have no extra pockets only the two in front that zip up. I only use them (the pockets) when I am off the bike.
    The high waist is comfortable to me but would not be if riding in a bent over sport bike position. I ride a KLR and a BMW KRS. I'm mostly in an up right position. The elastic waist gives great support but might not be for everyone.
    I have been using First Gear over pants with Bohn armored underwear for over a dozen years and they are hot and by now spent. I decided to just get one piece that was both armored and much, much cooler. I now wear the LD Comfort underwear under them and the combo feels great.
    They certainly are not inexpensive but if they last another twelve years they will be worth it.
  6. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought used, so I can only address your first question directly, and will give you my other impressions as well.

Are they worth the extra money? YES. 100%. Hands down. No contest.
    Will they tear up a seat and tank? Likely..over time. But what easier to replace? Seat/paint or your own skin? If you really care put some clear skins on that tank.

Im not sure about using them on sportbikes....ill take the R6 out next time its warm enough and get back to you on that. I normally ride a CRF250l- off the bike, the jacket is a little restrictive. More so than my slightly too large leather, and it gets difficult to secure the helmet if I have on both liners AND my electric liner (3 total). Keep in mind mine is a little snug- got a good deal used and as far as protection is concerned it fits so I deal with it.

Mine are a bit short in sleeve and pant length, but pads are where they should be and I feel protected. Air flow is ridiculous, quad armor is seemingly incredible.

Good luck.
  7. AK Bob

AK Bob AKAM

Oddometer:
    Newbie:

I got a few years on you, and the way I figured it, if I have a simple get off at speed and walk away.. I'd save the cost of the suit X 2, over the medical insurance deductiables.

Two years ago I sprang for a full 2 piece Motoport suit with upgraded armor. Guess they call it the Ultra II air mesh jacket and pants, along with the rain suit and insulated jacket liner. In short, love it. Last summer I ran from Fairbanks to Key West. The only time I wasn't in it was going to the showers at the National from Airhead Central. The air blowing through made the trip bearable. Bought a pair of LD Comfort Shorts at the rally. The LD Comforts and a T shirt was what was under the suit from Sedalia, up into the mountains of BC past Hyder AK.. When its cold The rain liners go in to break the wind.

In a t shirt and jeans the heat and wind would have really beat me up, in leathers an chaps, it would have been prety bad too. The idea is if the temp is above your body temp cover up. Never thought I'd be an atgatt kind of guy, I am now.
  8. j_csquare

j_csquare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not everybody is happy with the Motoport gear.
    See http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213509 and http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685652.

I would rather recommend the REV'IT leather jacket and pants with mesh panels. Probably a bit warmer, but cheaper and arguably even better protection.

REV'IT Ignition 2 jacket: https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.s...Products/Revit-Ignition-2-Leather-Jacket-0001

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

REV'IT Gear 2 pants: https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/secadfad62290/?ViewObjectID=22340673&Currency=USD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I agree with that. What argument can you make that it's better protection? Is it as strong as mesh kevlar? Does it have as much body armor? My Syed custom race leathers (which are top notch, as leathers go) are not as strong as MP mesh kevlar, nor do they have as much body armor (though they have as much as any other leathers I have looked at).
  10. j_csquare

j_csquare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Steady on the Coolaid served by Motoport's website. Your custom race leathers offer more abrasion resistance.

From a different thread:
  11. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Not a fan of my Motoport I've had for 5 years. Armor moves around my arms, many resultant elbow bruises and such off road, even though the jacket fits. After replacing pant armor with forcefield shorts and leatt mechanical knee shin guards the triarmor doesn't compare from my unscientific tests (off road get offs). I will be replacing it before summer. I think a lot of motoport website is marketing hyperbole and should be considered cautiously. YMMV
  12. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I am aware of that. That is why I wear (and would recommend to anybody) to stick to leather for track use. Unlike track riding, for street riding, it will be a RARE accident where you actually slide very far at all. Especially on pavement. I mean, in the unlikely event that you do slide very far, there's a good chance you will go off the pavement and onto some other surface. Regardless...

In a street crash (as opposed to a racetrack crash), you are likely to be going slower, not slide as far, and hit something that is hard. So, for street riding, the relative importance of abrasion resistance is lower and the importance of body armor and strong seams is higher. I've blown out seams on leathers just from hitting the ground (and seen it happen to others a LOT - especially on cheaper leathers). I am having trouble imagining blowing out a seam on Motoport gear. And, as I said before, my MP suit has more body armor in it than any leathers I've owned or even seen.

So, maybe I should have been a little more specific? If you are talking about street riding, then I'm not sure you can make any significant argument that leathers give better protection.
    muguvian likes this.