User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
SubAtomicGenius OP
Sarcastic Fantastic

Oddometer: 140
Chain too tight after service

Had my clutch go out of adjustment right after my dealer service so I decided to give her a good once-over myself. Found the chain slack set at 25mm (too tight) instead of the recommended 35-45mm - this is after about 100km of riding. I adjusted the chain slack immediately. I am somewhat concerned about problems if any... What would be the proper checks? Pinion shaft rotation? Hub bearings? Thoughts?
Touratech Lower/Upper Crashbars, Skidplate, Adj. /Folding Clutch and Brake Levers (black) - Barkbusters VPS Handguards - SW Motech Rear Frame Sliders and Chain Guard - Pivot Pegs - Bestrest Shock Bolt Support with Upper Bolt - Accelerator Module - Nautilus Air Horn - 12VDC Display
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 526
don't worry!
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,736
It could be worse. The Mechanics follow a script on what to do at each service. I have had them do "checks" on things, I did not want them to touch.

It hasn't done me any good, they are good robots.

Ever since I discovered that clutch slack specs was wrong in the first CD. I do that, hands off, don't touch instructions.

The last adjustment I tried to make, a gorilla could not have loosened the nuts. It was holding together the 2 pieces of the cable bracket. The original design was weak and "somebody" broke it. It is cast into the $300+ side cover.

I guess the mechanic felt it better, I buy it than him.

itsatdm screwed with this post 09-10-2014 at 12:25 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
c4nuck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
I wish all I had to worry about was a out of spec chain sag after picking my bike up. Last time I picked my bike up, almost every screw was loose or missing, makes me wonder what was forgotten elsewhere on the valve check! They offered to go over the bike and re-check everything, to which I replied they should have done that the first time, no?
IBA #59085
BC-->TX-->Carribean
c4nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
SubAtomicGenius OP
Sarcastic Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
It could be worse. The Mechanics follow a script on what to do at each service. I have had them do "checks" on things, I did not want them to touch.

It hasn't done me any good, they are good robots.

Ever since I discovered that clutch slack specs was wrong in the first CD. I do that, hands off, don't touch instructions.

The last adjustment I tried to make, a gorilla could not have loosened the nuts. It was holding together the 2 pieces of the cable bracket. The original design was weak and "somebody" broke it. It is cast into the $300+ side cover.

I guess the mechanic felt it better, I buy it than him.
Thanks for the input. I'm regearing to a 15t pinion up front later next week, so I'll check it out more closely then.

What was the deal with wrong slack measurements before?
Touratech Lower/Upper Crashbars, Skidplate, Adj. /Folding Clutch and Brake Levers (black) - Barkbusters VPS Handguards - SW Motech Rear Frame Sliders and Chain Guard - Pivot Pegs - Bestrest Shock Bolt Support with Upper Bolt - Accelerator Module - Nautilus Air Horn - 12VDC Display
Old 09-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,736
The original CD called for 1mm of slack in the cable measured at the lever. That's not near enough to account for heat build up and expansion of the clutch plates that occurs when riding the bike.

I think the current spec is 3mm and I believe that is the minimum. I had set mine at 5mm.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
GREWUPIN_D11
GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer: 81
When picking up my 2010 F800GS after the 600 mile service (in 2010, of course), noted the chain was as tight as a fiddle string with the bike leaning on the side stand. I was very unhappy.

However, it's become evident in the 11000 miles and 4 years since the event that no significant damage was done to the rear wheel bearings, sprocket carrier bearing, countershaft bearing, nor chain.

In your case, with at least some measurable slack existing, I would say very little probability of any damage. Press on.
GREWUPIN_D11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
Kiwi Tinkerer
Ross

Oddometer: 379
Coulda

What you could have done is pull the rear of the bike down until the swingarm is in line with the swingarm pivot and the front sprocket. If you still had some slack then you were less likely to have done any damage.
Kiwi Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
SubAtomicGenius OP
Sarcastic Fantastic

Honestly, I can't see the rear suspension cycling much with only mild road use during that time. Next time, however, the service will be done by yours truly... Or checked in the parkinglot right after....