ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Great Camping in Moab

I'll be riding the TAT solo,and should be in Moab by the 1st or 2nd week of Sept. I'd like to spend an extra 4 days riding in Moab,and am really interested in finding one or two great spots to camp. I generally like to find quiet out of the way places-weather it's primitive camping or an established site with water. I'm not against a camp ground with a shower/pool like I've read Moab has,I just don't want to miss out on camping in a beautiful setting,especially since I've never been out West.
My Road & Recreation Atlas has LOT'S of camp site symbols in the Moab area, I just have no idea what's good and what's not.I'd also like to avoid anything on or right near a main drag where you can hear noise.I figure maybe one day I can camp at a place with a pool since I'm told it can be quite hot in Sept.
Any input would be appreciated.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 360
It will be super hot down in town in September. I would try to get up high in the La Sals. There are some nice spots up near Geyser Pass that would still give you decent access to the area. The Aspens up there are huge and should be just about to turn in mid September. There is also a cool camp area right near the Fisher Mesa trail head which has a toilet and is tucked away back off the road some.

Water will be your main issue unless you carry plenty and can haul it to your camp from some other source. Last July there was no snow melt runoff left at all while in previous years there had been plenty of flowing water around.

A few summers ago we had an aggressive little black bear hanging around our camp a little ways below Geyser Pass, right by the XC ski trail head which has a toilet. Don't know if that bear has been dealt with yet but he was way too comfortable around people. Kind of scary to be in a tent all alone.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
It will be super hot down in town in September. I would try to get up high in the La Sals. There are some nice spots up near Geyser Pass that would still give you decent access to the area. The Aspens up there are huge and should be just about to turn in mid September. There is also a cool camp area right near the Fisher Mesa trail head which has a toilet and is tucked away back off the road some.

Water will be your main issue unless you carry plenty and can haul it to your camp from some other source. Last July there was no snow melt runoff left at all while in previous years there had been plenty of flowing water around.

A few summers ago we had an aggressive little black bear hanging around our camp a little ways below Geyser Pass, right by the XC ski trail head which has a toilet. Don't know if that bear has been dealt with yet but he was way too comfortable around people. Kind of scary to be in a tent all alone.
You wouldn't happen to have any gps coordinates for that camping area near Fisher Mesa trail? I can leave a week later on my trip so I would be in Moab around 2nd week in Sept. Do you think that will make much of a difference riding in that area?
I really love to camp,but if you think it will be too hot to camp maybe I should just plan to get a room that has air condition. I've never been to UT, and was REALLY looking forward to doing a few extra days of riding in Moab. A few of the trails I was interested in were White Rim, Kane Creek,Sovereign, &Onion Creek. I wanted to set up a base camp so I can ride nice and light for those days. Will it be just too hot to ride those trails that time of the year? I'll be carrying lot's of water,but I know how easy and dangerous it is to get dehydrated while riding in the heat. I'm now wondering if I should just pass thru and continue on to NV & OR where it will get cooler?
Sure would bum me out if I couldn't spend some time in Moab
Old 01-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

any one else?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
DCZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Don't over think it - lots of places to camp - if it is hot go higher - cold and rainy go lower.

Rick
DCZ is offline   Reply With Quote