User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,683
Who roasts their own coffee?

Just for grins and giggles I started roasting my own coffee for espresso a few months back. Its been very enjoyable and tasty. I thought it would be some complicated, expensive process, but actually easy. I use an old bread machine and heat gun, made a cover and that's about it. I am certainly no coffee snob or expert (have a very mild manner $200 espresso machine) but was wondering what others are doing, how, and where are they getting beans. I have been ordering sample packs from Sweet Marias and while they have some great stuff, the ones I seem to love are always no longer available.

Also thinking about getting a Rancillio Silvia sooner or later, but get a little scared when I read up on them. They are a little bit finicky from what I hear, would hate to spend $600 and regret it, and I don't know where you can try one on for size. I have a fairly good grinder, Brevelle that was around $200 that seems really consistent. Thoughts from anyone upgrading like I want to?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,567
I have been roasting my own coffee since the early 1990's, and have used a hot air popcorn popper, Hearthwares, Cafe Rosto, heatgun/dogbowl, stovetop popper, stovetop stockpot and a Behmor. I roast about 4-5 pounds per month and use it to feed my Rocky grinder, Pasquini Livia, Capresso MT-500, Chemex, Kone and french presses.

I get most of my green beans via GCBC, Bodhi and Costco, and at any one time try to have around 50 pounds or so out in the garage.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,416
Hipsters.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cyclops View Post
Just for grins and giggles I started roasting my own coffee for espresso a few months back. Its been very enjoyable and tasty. I thought it would be some complicated, expensive process, but actually easy. I use an old bread machine and heat gun, made a cover and that's about it. I am certainly no coffee snob or expert (have a very mild manner $200 espresso machine) but was wondering what others are doing, how, and where are they getting beans. I have been ordering sample packs from Sweet Marias and while they have some great stuff, the ones I seem to love are always no longer available.
It's fun stuff to play with. Easy to do, and gets you into your roasts. I'm a sweet marias mail orderer as well. What you notice about "the ones you love always being no longer available," IMO speaks to an interesting aspect once you start paying attention to the bean & processing...It really underscores the fact that crops and harvests and how successful the prep yields vary. The one you love this year might not be the same next year, even if you get it from the same bush. You could really argue it's got aspects of a performance art.

So what beans have you gotten your hands on?
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
GuyRocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I've been roasting for about 10 years. I've used lots of methods, currently a Behmor drum roaster. It's slowly giving up the ghost though. Usually get my beans from Sweet Maria's, but occasionally shop locally too.

For several years, I was into Central American coffees roasted pretty lightly, but lately have been pursuing more flavor from the roast and going well into second crack.

I'm absolutely no expert, I just like to muck about and occasionally find something I really like and stick with it for a bit.
GuyRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
It's fun stuff to play with. Easy to do, and gets you into your roasts. I'm a sweet marias mail orderer as well. What you notice about "the ones you love always being no longer available," IMO speaks to an interesting aspect once you start paying attention to the bean & processing...It really underscores the fact that crops and harvests and how successful the prep yields vary. The one you love this year might not be the same next year, even if you get it from the same bush. You could really argue it's got aspects of a performance art.

So what beans have you gotten your hands on?
Here is kind of my top 5 in order-Ethiopia Organic Suke Quto, Espresso Monkey Blend, Nicaragua Acopia Suyatal, Brazil Fazenda Sao Benedito, and Workshop #27 Los Tumulos. Yeah, it sounds way to hipster for my taste, but I don't do things to impress others. I enjoy it, wife loves it (as do I), and its just another hobby that doesn't cost a fortune.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 3,961
Been roasting for a little while on an RK Drum. I haven't messed with espresso much but I know several people that are happy with the Baratza Vario grinder. Sweet Maria's is an excellent source for greens as well as GCBC.

We enjoyed riding the roads around Hazard last year. If you ever make it to western VA look me up, I'll show you around and we can roast some coffee.
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
Been roasting for a little while on an RK Drum. I haven't messed with espresso much but I know several people that are happy with the Baratza Vario grinder. Sweet Maria's is an excellent source for greens as well as GCBC.

We enjoyed riding the roads around Hazard last year. If you ever make it to western VA look me up, I'll show you around and we can roast some coffee.
I wish I knew you were around here! I don't really do any street stuff anymore, actually not much motorized stuff at all lately. My boys have gotten into mountain biking and I am trying to keep up. I do kinda miss my Tiger and adventure touring. Maybe again in a year or two! Thanks for the offer, and if you are back down this way be sure and drop me a line, love company!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: