Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #76
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I like it. The Viper comparo is a bit silly though. All modern headlights "look like viper's", if you ask me. I really think they should bring back the pop up lights though. You could come up with something really cool with little halogens popping up.

It'll be a hit. Much better than the last 9 years. I'd still buy a Mustang though. For the same price point, you can have the Shelby GT500 (662 HP, 631 lb-ft). It looks like a Mustang, sounds like a Mustang, and it's trying to be some pipe dream of an international super car.
I know you live in Nebraska, so you don't have much in the way of corners, but if this car is anything like the previous Corvettes, it'll leave the live axle Mustang in the dust on a windy road. On most windy roads around here, 600hp is pretty much overkill.

Next year, the rumor is that the Mustang will appear with an IRS, like the 'vette has. That will make comparisons between the two a lot more realistic. Note that I'm a Ford guy, so I'd love a blue oval competitor to the Corvette.

Comments have been made around price, but it appears that the pricing is right in line with previous. This isn't a car you buy at graduation from college - this is the car you buy when your kids finish college. The Corvette has always been an aspirational car. This one seems to be trying to roll refinement into the mix, which has been a steady, though not always successful effort for GM.

To my eye, this looks more Ferrari 599 than Camaro and it's a giant step up in terms of visual interest from the C6. This car looks like it's got some functional hood scoops and the like that aren't just decoration. That's a big switch. Even the ZR1 has fake fender exhaust vents.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #77
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
If someone left it in my driveway with the keys in it, I would not complain.

No, sir.

I wouldn't.

Not even a little bit.
I wouldn't complain...I'd just sell it.
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #78
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
FWI understand, they HAD a IRS car for a few years but the drag racers hated it and they went back to the live axle.

Someone 2x check me 'cause I remember hearing that same kvetch on a ?Motor Trend? ?Car and Driver? comparo video.

M
No such. There's never been a factory IRS on the Mustang, to my knowledge, though I've long wished for one.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #79
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
I've been a big fan of the Corvette for decades, especially the C1 - C3. Not too fond of the C4, liked the C5 and C6. IMHO, Corvettes peaked in 1967, the last of the C2 Sting Rays. I am very disappointed in the styling of the C7. It looks like a modern Camaro from the rear (or a Hot Wheels Camaro made life size). It's profile has a vaguely Japanese look, especially the C pillar treatment which looks like a Nissan. I can not stand those side vents either. Looks like a tuner car. Fugly.

I've driven early 70 C3s, which were brutal, quick and relatively unsophisticated cars compared to a modern Vette. which I have also driven. I'd rather have an early one as they felt fast and powerful all the time, where the modern Vettes, although they have much better performance numbers, don't have the visceral feel until you are going way, way, way above the speed limit. This is true of all modern high performance cars and has been for 20 years. They are so competent, so good at what they do, that their character, their emotional appeal, is lacking until you are driving them at speeds that will get you arrested.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #80
Nophix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
It looks like a Scuderia got rear-ended by a Camaro. Its boxed wine!

I guess you can take the girl out of the trailer park, but you can never get the trailer park out of the girl.
Nophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #81
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
No such. There's never been a factory IRS on the Mustang, to my knowledge, though I've long wished for one.

2004 Cobra super charged and IRS......a base vette was still faster.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #82
Nophix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Check again. Mustang Cobra began using them in 1999.
Nophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #83
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,566
the best looking anything (watch, bike, house, firearm, auto) has a clean, simple design . . . .

the urge to stick JCWHiteny-like appliques on the outside of this car, for me, ruins what might eb a good looking design.

It looks like it's already spent a long weekend in the Tuner Boyz shop.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #84
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,644
Quote:
I know you live in Nebraska, so you don't have much in the way of corners, but if this car is anything like the previous Corvettes, it'll leave the live axle Mustang in the dust on a windy road. On most windy roads around here, 600hp is pretty much overkill.
Yeah, well.....uh....screw you Kalifornia boy!

I know the vette is better at corners. Take it to the track, and it'll be a fun car...but...I don't think of a Corvette as a driving car anyway. I think of it as a sunny day show off car. I don't see many vettes actually being driven hard. Probably because people like my father in law buy them (he's had a few). They drive slow most of the time, and just hit the gas once in a while to hear it roar. I would drive a mustang every day there wasn't snow/ice on the roads.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #85
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nophix View Post
Check again. Mustang Cobra began using them in 1999.
Thanks. This was an SVT only option, if I understand correctly, which isn't exactly platform wide.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #86
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Yeah, well.....uh....screw you Kalifornia boy!

I know the vette is better at corners. Take it to the track, and it'll be a fun car...but...I don't think of a Corvette as a driving car anyway. I think of it as a sunny day show off car. I don't see many vettes actually being driven hard. Probably because people like my father in law buy them (he's had a few). They drive slow most of the time, and just hit the gas once in a while to hear it roar. I would drive a mustang every day there wasn't snow/ice on the roads.
Then you should visit here, where people actually drive their cars for their intended mission.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #87
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,644
Quote:
Then you should visit here, where people actually drive their cars for their intended mission.
There are tracks here, if I were so inclined. Plenty of folks on the track in both two and four wheels. I am just not so inclined. (read: wife won't let me) If I were though, I would nab a used Nissan 370z. My step-mom has one, and that little thing is a blast! Cheap too!! Would be a helluva track car.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #88
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,720
Quote:
That is interesting, California must be different than the Rocky Mountain West. I have commented before, in all of my riding-- twisty mountain roads-- how rare it is to see a sports or sporty car being driven with vigor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #89
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Please make it school bus yellow and clutter up every single car thread in Shiny Things with pics of it too. Bonus points for winter setup.
You're asking for it

I actually like this new Vette except for the back end. And that seems to have been a recurrent theme with GM for most (but not all) of their cool cars, starting with the '74 Sting Ray. Even the new Camaro(e) looked ok until I got to a photo of the back. Can't figure out why GM keeps screwing that up.

Regardless I'll bet the new Vette will be a blast to drive. Maybe I'll buy one in school bus yellow and clutter up every single car thread in Shiny Things with pics of it too

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #90
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post
That is the ugliest Vette I've ever seen.
Some wag compared it to the Pontiac Aztek.
Can Transformer kids afford 'vettes?
They should get John Travolta to pose next to it in his disco suit.
Was Nissan having a fire sale on 370Z headlights?
Worst looking 'vette ever...by a wide country mile.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: