User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #91
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,498
Wake me when the new El Camino is here!!

Not that ugly fuckin' Holden UTE thing either!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #92
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
It's profile has a vaguely Japanese look, especially the C pillar treatment which looks like a Nissan. I can not stand those side vents either. Looks like a tuner car. Fugly.
Yup. I'll stick with my schoolbus yellow C5.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #93
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Scott View Post
Wake me when the new El Camino is here!!
your gonna be sleeping a long time...
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #94
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones750 View Post
I like it for the most part except for the tail-lights.....a bit too close to the newer Camaros.

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #95
NCGS
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 1,185
Looks like the designers took an origami class.

I'll hold how I really feel until I see one. For now.. ehh... not so much.

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many.
NCGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #96
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
I've driven early 70 C3s, which were brutal, quick and relatively unsophisticated cars compared to a modern Vette. which I have also driven. I'd rather have an early one as they felt fast and powerful all the time, where the modern Vettes, although they have much better performance numbers, don't have the visceral feel until you are going way, way, way above the speed limit. This is true of all modern high performance cars and has been for 20 years. They are so competent, so good at what they do, that their character, their emotional appeal, is lacking until you are driving them at speeds that will get you arrested.

This is so true for later hipo car owners...I've owned 396 & 454 SS Chevelles, heavy straight line tire squeeling pigs; Z28s and Mustang GTs which were much more fun to drive/corner like a flat tracker; then a supercharged HKS MR2, a Turbo MR2 that are like fast go karts for the street; then got a Z51 C5 Vette, first Vette I really liked, but man it is so competent and glued to the road it's insane what you have to do to get a little tire squeel or even make it think of getting a little bit sideways on the street, not to mention hands free steady at 145 mph. When I want to have some stealth fun and screw with someone the MR2s are best, but my older Pony cars were the most fun to drive - easy to light em up and get sideways around corners at 30 - 40 mph. When I whip the C5 wheel as fast as I can at 30 - 40 it just nonchalantly turns without even squeeling the tires. My MR2s are right there with the C5s at urban speed limits but cops don't even notice them little rice burners...probably don't know what they are...Vettes they do, whatever the color, mine is a 03 Millenium Yellow Coupe beauty, 7K miles,6 speed, with uncorked exhaust that all Vettes need (+ big power), otherwise sound like Hoover vacuum sweepers...still own the best of these cars btw

TooFast screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 06:12 PM
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #97
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
That is interesting, California must be different than the Rocky Mountain West. I have commented before, in all of my riding-- twisty mountain roads-- how rare it is to see a sports or sporty car being driven with vigor.
I used to sling my MINI around while giggling like a loon.

What a fun car that was!

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #98
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
The Hot Wheels returns, this time full sized...and with visible real life louvers! Its pimpy, like an 80's cocaine ride. Fail.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #99
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,170
Spoilers, wings and scoops, o my (eyes).
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #100
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpinator View Post
I see the 7-speed manual retains the dreaded "skip shift" feature.

Why spend beaucoup bux on a manual transmission sports car, just to have the government decide which gear you can select?

I'm sure the ECU hackers are already busy on a fix.

All it took on my 2003 C5 was a floor jack to unplug the electrical solenoid lead and solder in a 49 cent resistor to turn off the OBDII CEL code that unplugging it caused....only reason GM has it is to avoid the gas guzzler tax...pretty smart huh? Now we have it both ways...

TooFast screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 07:26 PM
Old 01-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #101
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

IMO....

Buy a Vette and you can buy a cheap alternator, starter, etc, etc at Autozone, etc, etc try that with another car of this performance...Ferrarri maintenance intervals, valve adjustments, etc cost thousands of $, Chevy OEM parts are cheap

Rather than copy current styling trends like headlights of other brands , current camaro taillights, etc ...do so something to differeniate and continue pop up Vette headlights to be different and unique...way too many copy cats in all vehicle catagories these days

The new Vette hood louvers and C pillar louvers look like dirt/debris collectors...dunno, maybe they are functional or not, they look cheesy, why not a Chevelle cowl ram air induction hood to go with the Stingray/LS1 theme, and be differentiated with GM heritage...no need to copy Vipers, Ferraris, or any one else

Quips aside, the new Vette will probably be one hell of a car for the money and compare quite favoribly with other high end cars which are getting quite pricey.

TooFast screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 07:48 PM
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #102
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I like it. The Viper comparo is a bit silly though. All modern headlights "look like viper's", if you ask me. I really think they should bring back the pop up lights though. You could come up with something really cool with little halogens popping up.

It'll be a hit. Much better than the last 9 years. I'd still buy a Mustang though. For the same price point, you can have the Shelby GT500 (662 HP, 631 lb-ft). It looks like a Mustang, sounds like a Mustang, and it's trying to be some pipe dream of an international super car.

Agreed. The top row of HID or LEDs on the Viper headlights look downright stupid. The Vette version looks much better.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #103
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
All it took on my 2003 C5 was a floor jack to unplug the electrical solenoid lead and solder in a 49 cent resistor to turn off the OBDII CEL code that unplugging it caused....only reason GM has it is to avoid the gas guzzler tax...pretty smart huh? Now we have it both ways...
How stiff was that solenoid lead if you needed a floor jack to remove it?
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #104
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
What?
I'm very curious how anything with more than 3 slots is rendered usable. Isn't it going to screw with your ability to naturally find the middle slots, bcs now you can't let the stick self-center & just ram it up/down? Seems like it's a recipe for slower shifts.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #105
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 784
According to Autoweek, it will be displayed at Amelia Island. I'm going again this year.
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: