ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 02:48 AM   #121
klp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Andover, Ma
Oddometer: 240
Styling is always going to generate controversy - some like it, some don't. It seems most here don't like it and I am with that camp. The tail lights seem to me the most offensive piece - a proper Vette should have round ones.

The performance of this car for the $ though is as good as it gets. Decent mileage too. It is a modern take on an American supercar, some here have mentioned the Mustang but to me it's not really a fair comparo - they're two different cars.
__________________
Lots of old Hondas, 2 Yamahas, 2 Kawi's.
klp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 AM   #122
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvecrusher View Post
Its similar to the T56 used since the LT1 F-cars, the Cobras, Vette and Vipers..

Also, it's not very likely you'll be tryin' to BANG it into 7th...


Also, for those of us with LOTS of experience with the T56....the 'gates' have solenoids shifting 'locks' over the gates...
You cannot physically discern a -locked out- gate, although the center detent in a T56 is 3-4....
but the T56 and the new 7 speed have the same number of gates WIDE... Just one has a 7 where -R- is on the m6, and -R- where the m6 has nothing..

so, the
center is probably STILL 3-4...


The 1-4 shift instead of 1-2 when lightly accelerating DOES take some getting use to..also the 2nd-5th instead of 3rd is equally disconcerting the first few dozen times...


BUT
to the same effect, you'll NEVER hit 2nd-R, (in a m6) because of the gate lockout...in this car 5th-R(same principle)
(in a m6, you HAVE to select 1st, THEN drop into R..... R is locked out at all other times)



But you know how the system works, yes?
The CPU determines WHICH gates are available, dependant on throttle position, speed, emissions at tailpipe, engine RPMs, previous(current)gear selected, and traction
(plus more probably on this car...but you get the point)
Interesting...definitely did not know how it all worked. Thx for the deets.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #123
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
People have tweeked out over every little change to the "vettes as long as I remember.

The C4 wasn't "vette enough, the C5 was to angular, yada yada. (I was three when the C3 went out of production, so I missed that exchange)

I actually like the C7, round tail lights or not. Its still a V8, front engined, traverse leaf, 2 seater...and it even has a pop-top and carbon fiber.

Its Corvette enough for me.
The ruination of the aesthetics of the C3 began in the 1974 model year. If you were three when they went out of production you weren't even thought of when they were a thing of beauty.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 AM   #124
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 7,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
The ruination of the aesthetics of the C3 began in the 1974 model year. If you were three when they went out of production you weren't even thought of when they were a thing of beauty.

Yeah, not like I worked at a classic Vette dealer or anything . I know the differences between all of the cars, I simply wasn't there for the arguing about the astetics, they were done and over years in advance.

Of the C3 the '70-73 and the '81-82 are the ones I like styling wise. The 80s models need a bit of grooming mechanically before they are up to snuff.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #125
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer
 
MookieBlaylock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: IntheeaglewingpalaceoftheQueenChinee
Oddometer: 2,581
styling kind of busy on the new one but i like the targa in grey

MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #126
gatling
Beastly Adventurer
 
gatling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
styling kind of busy on the new one but i like the targa in grey

I stand by my original comment...this is the ugliest Vette ever. Maybe in person it will look better, but my God, this is an ugly car.
__________________
www.CSCMotorcycles.com
'15 RX-3 CSC Cyclone (I'm getting the 1st one!)
'06 KLR 650 (Red...the fast one...)
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #127
gatling
Beastly Adventurer
 
gatling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 2,265
I'm guessing the rear visibility is pretty bad, too. Maybe they have a backup camera in it.
__________________
www.CSCMotorcycles.com
'15 RX-3 CSC Cyclone (I'm getting the 1st one!)
'06 KLR 650 (Red...the fast one...)
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #128
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Yeah, not like I worked at a classic Vette dealer or anything . I know the differences between all of the cars, I simply wasn't there for the arguing about the astetics, they were done and over years in advance.

Of the C3 the '70-73 and the '81-82 are the ones I like styling wise. The 80s models need a bit of grooming mechanically before they are up to snuff.
My dad bought a '73 small block C3 brand new. It wasn't fast enough, so it was traded on a new '74 454. It too was a dog, so it disappeared for a few months to a specialist. When it returned it was making around 600 hp he lived with that for less than a year before buying a '75 911 and getting into racing.

I loved the look of that '73. I loved the sound and Acceleration of that hopped up '74, but I always thought Chevy blew it with regard to aesthetics.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #129
Crocker
Just passing through
 
Crocker's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 4,138
looks like 4 wheeled sex to me

For the money they are asking I'd rather own a Cayman S, but i like this one more than the last three generations.
Crocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #130
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 7,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
My dad bought a '73 small block C3 brand new. It wasn't fast enough, so it was traded on a new '74 454. It too was a dog, so it disappeared for a few months to a specialist. When it returned it was making around 600 hp he lived with that for less than a year before buying a '75 911 and getting into racing.

I loved the look of that '73. I loved the sound and Acceleration of that hopped up '74, but I always thought Chevy blew it with regard to aesthetics.

My old man had a '70 454 that he sold ON my 16th birthday. I could have killed him. Red, side-pipes, white interior and white tops.

Thing was gorgeous.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #131
Heyload
Remastered Classic
 
Heyload's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
My old man had a '70 454 that he sold ON my 16th birthday. I could have killed him. Red, side-pipes, white interior and white tops.

Thing was gorgeous.
You probably should have thanked him for saving your life.
__________________
"Would you care for some left-over bacon?"...said no man, ever.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #132
Ken
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ken's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: A dark hole...
Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
You probably should have thanked him for saving your life.
That's what I was thinking
__________________
"God made hobos to make other men yearn." -Steinbeck

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #133
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 7,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
You probably should have thanked him for saving your life.

First car was a 79 mustang with a 405 cleveland......the vette was WAY safer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #134
Heyload
Remastered Classic
 
Heyload's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
First car was a 79 mustang with a 405 cleveland......the vette was WAY safer.

Holy crap! Lol, damn I bet that was a great time.
__________________
"Would you care for some left-over bacon?"...said no man, ever.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #135
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato
 
Anorak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: OAK
Oddometer: 33,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
First car was a 79 mustang with a 405 cleveland......the vette was WAY safer.
What kind of crank did you use to stroke it?
__________________
'Gonna get me a six pack...push people off the highway!'

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014