Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
jprhode OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
CDR - Alternative to Divide Basin?

Hi All,

I rode the CDR a couple of years ago (most of it anyway - rained out in part of NM) and am planning to do it again this summer.

One part that I really don't care to repeat is the section roughly between Pinedale and Rawlins, WY. I guess it was worth doing once, but man it was boring.

Anybody come up with a decent alternative to that section? It seems like there should be a way to go from Pinedale to the CO border (near Dixon) via Rock Springs that is a) mostly dirt, b) slightly more scenic, and c) a little shorter.

Guidance much appreciated.

Thanks
Jason
jprhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #2
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,656
Mexico To Canada

If you want to ride from Mexico to Canada--------offroad----and want something totally different than what almost everybody does-------you might be interested in a route me and a friend laid out from Lochiel Arizona to the Canadian border in Idaho.

It is much more challenging than the CDR and was one of the best rides of my life. I don't think anybody has tried are route after we did----so you could be the first.

The CDR is awesome--------this is way better. We rode 5,300 miles on this ride-----------big bikes need not apply.

I'm just about heading out the door to Baja---so will be out of touch---but here is the link if you want to read about it.

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/AnotherWayUp.htm

The ride started at the Mexico border at a highly secure border fence.

And ended on a dead end dirt road (full of grizzlies) at a waterfall a stones throw from the Canada border

Some of the riding in-between

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
jprhode OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the reply. Man I know some of those Utah roads - grew up there. Not all of them though, looks like a hell of a trip.

Following that route exactly probably isn't in the cards as I'm on a GS Adventure and my partner in crime is, well, physics ain't on his side. Still, we did fine on the CDR all the way from Canada through 1/3 of NM until the sky opened up and the whole state turned to goo.

We're definitely not married to the CDR though, might stitch together something new. I don't suppose you have GPS tracks stashed somewhere for this latest route? Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all...

Many thanks for all the wisdom you've posted here. Definitely helped us last time out.

best regards
Jason

jprhode screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 05:35 PM
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,216
that's the great big ADV hole we all deal with between Colo & NW WY.

the only alt. is to head farther NW in Colo and then ride up along the western edge of WY. there is a great ADV route that way along the greys river rd.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
jprhode OP
Adventurer

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for, will check it out.

Cheers
Jason
Old 01-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
If you want to ride from Mexico to Canada--------offroad----and want something totally different than what almost everybody does-------you might be interested in a route me and a friend laid out from Lochiel Arizona to the Canadian border in Idaho.

It is much more challenging than the CDR and was one of the best rides of my life. I don't think anybody has tried are route after we did----so you could be the first.

The CDR is awesome--------this is way better. We rode 5,300 miles on this ride-----------big bikes need not apply.

I'm just about heading out the door to Baja---so will be out of touch---but here is the link if you want to read about it.
What Big Dog did above was basically the Great Western Trail and he did a fantastic job. Google GWT, lots of web sites but no GPS. He did it several years ago and way back then there was not a good way to get good GPS tracks. I have been working on the GWT for two years and now have Active Log tracks from Nogales to Soldier Summit on Hwy 6 in Utah. In many places the forest service and BLM have marked it but they did not account for Gas, Food & Lodging (I don't camp). I hope to finish it next summer. In several places I have Adv bypass sections so it can be done on a big bike also. You can find my tracks on GPSXchange.com

Also like Big Dog says, GWT much more fun, the CDR is a bicycle ride. To that end I have also scouted a new route for the CDR across NM that actually follows the divide and is much more fun. It is also on GPSXchange.com

Also if you want a route that is even better than CDR or GWT check out Mex2Can.com You have choice of all Dual Sport routes or Adv routes. 950s welcome!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
jprhode OP
Adventurer

Now we're talking. Will check it out. My riding buddy/stepdad and both our bikes live in SLC, so there are some logistical advantages to this as well.

thanks!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,033
There's also this ...

... here route.

byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,741
I have ridden nearly all of the southern portion of Big Dog's and Countdown's routes and highly endorse them. Some of it was by coincidence where I planned my own trips and some consciously following their posted tracks.

But I have only been as far north as about Torrey UT and so know nothing about Wyoming.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote