ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
SquidRavioli OP
Beer Snob

Oddometer: 170
Hocking Hills State Park Ohio (need help planning)

Good morning all. I am planning some 2013 riding trips and Hocking Hills State Park (Ohio) is number one on the list. I play to do a three-day weekend trip there. Will most likely rent a cabin instead of camping. I have never been there, we would like to do some hiking through the park to see the sites. Any tips on where to stay, and what to do while there?

Also is there a good scenic riding loop in the area to fill a half day or so? Any fire service roads that would be good for a street tired F650?

Any tips and advice will be appreciated.

Cheers
SquidRavioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Kbowling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Lots of fire roads in the area I usally get a day pass and a map in nelsonville and ride out from there. I ride the main corridor on my klr and it's fine if it's dry
Kbowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
slowrideOhio
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hocking Hills

I went there this fall (in the van). Roads are mostly curvy, hilly, and I was wishing I had my bike.
My favorite hike is Cantwell Cliffs. Most of the other hikes are good, too.
slowrideOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
ssreed84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidRavioli View Post
Good morning all. I am planning some 2013 riding trips and Hocking Hills State Park (Ohio) is number one on the list. I play to do a three-day weekend trip there. Will most likely rent a cabin instead of camping. I have never been there, we would like to do some hiking through the park to see the sites. Any tips on where to stay, and what to do while there?

Also is there a good scenic riding loop in the area to fill a half day or so? Any fire service roads that would be good for a street tired F650?

Any tips and advice will be appreciated.

Cheers
Check out greenbrierridgecabin.com it's one of the inmates on here fathers cabin.
ssreed84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
BikeMan
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 250
old man's cave s.p - ash cave s.p. trail

the old man's cave s.p. has hiking trail that runs i guess 5 miles one way,. from old man's cave s.p. to ash cave s.p.. check it out. you'll be glad ya did. btw, hocking hills is in the heart of mc country. there is some dirt roads down by lake hope s.p. and tar hollow s.p.. all of which are located in the hocking hills area.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
The annual Hocking Hills winter hike is this weekend! Check it out online. You can checkout the area.
( We're going, you are welcome to join us!)
Plenty of hiking, great roads( Thompson Ridge, Buena Vista, state routes, Starr Route, yada, yada, yada!
There's motels at Logan, probably cheaper than cabins. Camping, yes. If you really like camping, I've got a place 5.5 miles from Laurelville, free camping with shower.
PM me anytime, we can set up some rides, check out this area and others, get you some tags, etc.
I'm retired, and got the time!
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Lake Hope State Park is also in the area. Great cabins, good view, very good roads. If you like curvy pavement; you have to do highway 555 (the triple nickle), all of it, not just part of it.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
jrockrat
Random Hippie

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
Lake Hope State Park is also in the area. Great cabins, good view, very good roads. If you like curvy pavement; you have to do highway 555 (the triple nickle), all of it, not just part of it.
Just watch for gravel in the corners, and there are a few blind corners as well. Good road, just need to be very alert.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
The annual Hocking Hills winter hike is this weekend! Check it out online. You can checkout the area.
Hey Mark, if you're gonna walk on Sunday I could come down and join in. I gotta work Saturday. Let me know if you'll be out on Sunday and we can take a look at the forecast.

Later,
M

EDIT: I see the Hike is scheduled for Saturday ...

Solace screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 05:25 AM
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
SquidRavioli OP
Beer Snob

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
Plenty of hiking, great roads( Thompson Ridge, Buena Vista, state routes, Starr Route, yada, yada, yada!
There's motels at Logan, probably cheaper than cabins. Camping, yes. If you really like camping, I've got a place 5.5 miles from Laurelville, free camping with shower.
PM me anytime, we can set up some rides, check out this area and others, get you some tags, etc.
I'm retired, and got the time!
Nice!
SquidRavioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Hey Mark, if you're gonna walk on Sunday I could come down and join in. I gotta work Saturday. Let me know if you'll be out on Sunday and we can take a look at the forecast.

Later,
M

EDIT: I see the Hike is scheduled for Saturday ...

Well, we might be able to work around that! i'll try to pm you tomorrow, or pm me. I need the exercise!
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
Buckeye Dualsporter
Buckeye Dualsporter1

Oddometer: 665
If you wanted to really ride some neat stuff and be part of a great event the hanging Rock 200 in May at Lake Hope and the Nutcacker 200 in Logan in September.
Buckeye Dualsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
kT13
Fat Rob

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Dualsporter View Post
If you wanted to really ride some neat stuff and be part of a great event the hanging Rock 200 in May at Lake Hope and the Nutcacker 200 in Logan in September.
You MUST check out the Church Of The Great Outdoors with Bill.
kT13 is offline   Reply With Quote