User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
Trailblazin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Touring Tire Choice

So I'm heading on a 3-4k mile tour with my dad and uncle... they both ride Harleys so theyll be sticking to the pavement. Should I switch the new TKC/K60 rear to road tires or keep my dual sport tires in case I see some trails on the way? I have noticed that the TKC front does cause quite a bit of vibration that makes my feet and butt numb after a couple hours but it's not a big deal if i stand up or pull my feet off the pegs for a bit. I'm Torn.
Trailblazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
If you switch to an Anakee 2 or Tourance, you'll have a much better road tire that can still handle some decent dirt, especially if you let the air out a little. The rear will give you at least 8K miles of life, the front closer to 20K miles. Many, including me, have raved about how good the Anakee 2 is as an all-around tire. Great in the rain, too. Doesn't do great in mud or sand, but any dirt or gravel is fine. It just won't let you go as fast as a true knobby. Then, when you get home, you can just remount the TKC/K60 and get a good dirt fix.

I know nothing about the new Anakee 3. Looks very street-orientated. Disapponting.

To me, it just seems like a waste of tire wear on your good dirt tires. Kind of a shame to wear halfway through a TKC on a roadie trip.

You could also just switch out the front for a matching Heidenau. They wear well. Lots of guys love them as a 70/30, 80/20 kind of tire.

It depends on where this tour is going, too. If you're going through, say, Colorado, you know there's going to be a ton of dirt to explore. On the other hand, the paved highways - like the Million Dollar Highway - offer more than enough entertainment. Trust me.

If you haven't, you may want to do some intensive research on the areas in question and see if there are some trails or OHV parks that warrant wearing down the TKC. The collective knowledge on this site is very helpful with stuff like that. Drop some questions in the regional and trip planning forums. If it were me, I'd mount Anakees and make the best of both worlds.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
slowpoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Shinko 705's will do the job. Cheap and wears well.
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Anakee IIs are awesome for touring. You should get 8,000 miles out of them.
Fantastic grip in the wet.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
LavaFrog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
save your knobbies

I would say with 3-4k ride ahead of you-with Hogs, switch to Anakee2 which is a great in-between and save your knobbies for the good stuff. On the CA to Moab trip a new set of TKCs lasted me about 8k but we were doing alot of off-road inbetween oil roads( <-Utah Lingo)

On my road set I used Tourances which last forever and a great tire but cost$$. I am really enjoying the Anakee2's which I replaced the Tourances with.
I've not priced the Anakee2 in a while but they do stick to the pavement and are smooth at hooligan speed. Especially if you plan to keep up with the hogs at over 70mph speeds, which is when you may start to feel the front get lighter with knobs. Have a great trip and bring ear plugs if you are tailing them Hogs...
LavaFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious View Post
You could also just switch out the front for a matching Heidenau. They wear well.
I ran a front K60 exclusively on my G650X-Country. I can't say I loved the rear, but grew very fond of the front.

Part of the equation is the cost/aggravation of changing and balancing tires. If you do it yourself or have some place that does it cheaply, it makes sense to switch to Anakee 2s, where are AMAZING tires. (Anakee 3s are supposed to perform equally well off-pavement, and better on the road. We shall see.)

On the other hand, if you have to pay >$25 per wheel to change each way, I would run the TKC-80/K60 and just accept the wear.

Tire swaps are pretty straightforward when one's tires are worn and need replacement, but become costly and annoying if one's doing them just to match one's planned ride.

My $0.02.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #7
BudMor
Can't have just one.

Oddometer: 65
If your gonna be riding that far on asphalt just put some street tires on it.
Dunlop makes touring tires that will fit the f800gs I think its in the Dunlop Elite 3 series has a front.

BudMor screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 04:54 AM
BudMor is offline   Reply With Quote