Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #46
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_menno View Post
Due to a rotating crankshaft along a longitudinal plane, is my answer.

Like member Bemiiten said: 'Heavy crankshaft spinning along the bikes axis causes a torque effect. They all do it'.

I have to agree.

My GS pig runs straight as an arrow both under acel and cruising. Isn't the counter-balace shaft design supposed to compensate for this effect? Wouldn't all Beemers torque steer if this was the root problem?

Too much brain freeze in the Peg eh?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 AM   #47
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
My GS pig runs straight as an arrow both under acel and cruising. Isn't the counter-balace shaft design supposed to compensate for this effect? Wouldn't all Beemers torque steer if this was the root problem?

As I mentioned the only time there is a torque effect is when you change engine speed, and then only momentarily. Try it yourself. Stopped with the engine running, balanced on your toes, quickly blip the throttle, the bike leans left. Increase the rpm from 1000 to 4000 though, and once at 4000 it takes no more force that at idle to hold the bike upright.

The root problem is either rear wheel offset which should be designed to counterbalance known weight offsets or side to side weight differences caused by fuel, transmission, exhaust, FD, etc. To convince yourself just start adding 5 lbs. at a time to one side or the other.

A bent frame could also cause tracking problems but many boxer models have 10-15 lb. side to side imbalances. And they all have some amount of rear wheel offset.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #48
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 954
Nope, it doesn't happen on my ride.
I am familiar with torque effect on small aircraft where one has to kick on opposite rudder to keep a straight track on takeoff.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #49
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,098
Hi, I'm a pilot too. I think this is the effect you're referring to (courtesy of flightgear.org):

Prop wash
A propeller pushes air not just horizontally to the back, but more in a twisting helix around the fuselage (clockwise as seen from the cockpit). As the air whirls around the fuselage it pushes against the left side of the vertical tail (assuming it is located above the propeller's axis), causing the plane to yaw to the left. The prop wash effect is at its greatest when the airflow is flowing more around the fuselage than along it, i.e., at high power and low airspeed, which is the situation when starting the takeoff run.

To my own surprise, I realized that there's a sort-of weight and balance side-to-side calculation affected by rear wheel offset. Then I just went out and rode various weights. Of course the RT has a major fuel imbalance that I believe is not so prominent on the GS.

roger 04 rt screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 06:15 AM
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #50
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,454
Wow! Not one mention of paralever bearings/bushings and he says he has play in the rear wheel.

Choose either OEM or Rubber Chicken Racing and do your paralever.

On center stand have someone hold the rear brake down. Rock the wheel now, and if it moves AT ALL you need to do the paralever bushings/bearings.

If it only rocks with the brake off you need to do your Big final drive bearing.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #51
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,322
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Wow! Not one mention of paralever bearings/bushings and he says he has play in the rear wheel.

Choose either OEM or Rubber Chicken Racing and do your paralever.

On center stand have someone hold the rear brake down. Rock the wheel now, and if it moves AT ALL you need to do the paralever bushings/bearings.

If it only rocks with the brake off you need to do your Big final drive bearing.
Is that not a symptom of worn pivot bearings.....not tracking in line with front wheel?
Old 03-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #52
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
As I mentioned the only time there is a torque effect is when you change engine speed, and then only momentarily.
....and it the effect of accelerating a rotating mass.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #53
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post

No counterbalance on a 1150.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote