User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Wookazoid OP
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 474
CRF250X and JD Jetting Kit question

I have a 2006 CRF250X that I recently installed an FMF Q4 exhaust pipe on (stock header). I got the JD Jetting Kit and swapped out the needle, jets and adjusted the air screw but there is also an O-ring that is to be installed under the throttle cover on the right side of the carburetor apparently to increase tension on a return spring. According to the instructions, you only have to rotate the carb to the left to access this cover. So I'm wondering what am I missing here? I see absolutely no way to access this with the aluminum frame in the way. Even with the top engine mount removed, there is no feasible way to get in to that area. Having removed my carb once a couple of years ago, I do not want to go that route. Getting it off was bad but reinstalling it was a major ordeal. Is this O-ring even that necessary?

I love my CRF but will say my XRs are a lot easier to work on. The price we pay for performance!

Greg
Old 01-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Wookazoid OP
Tree Basher

That's exactly what I was talking about. I did notice the lack of frame in your pictures which would indicate you had your carb out. Any tricks on hooking the choke plunger back up when re-installing it? I think that was the most frustrating part.

I'm supposed to go riding this weekend so may see what it does without the o-ring however, I am all about "crisp" off of the bottom. There is a carb mod for the XR650L that I did on mine with a similar result that made a huge difference so I may get motivated and do it. Again, thanks for the info!

Greg
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Wookazoid OP
Tree Basher

Yeah, I meant the hot start. Don't know why I said choke. I can see where cross-threading it would be easy, but I can't even get it aligned to start threading it in. I may have to check into the ProCircuit setup. If I just avoid removing it might be a better idea!

I went with the red needle with the clip in the 5th groove to start out with. I opened up the top of the air box and am running the 160 main, 42 pilot and 1-3/4 turns out on the air screw. I haven't had a chance to really ride it, only start it up, let it idle and rev it up a few times. The throttle response seems better than it did before though. I live at 300 ft elevation and where we typically don't have extremely cold weather. I figure this is a good starting point. It didn't pop when I let off of the throttle so maybe I'm not too lean. I will probably go back and add the O-ring and also remove the screen from the breather. That might neccesitate going to a larger main though.

I did the Dave's carb mods to my 650L and also desmogged it, added a Q4 and opened up the top of the air box. I honestly think the carb modification was the single biggest improvement. I had an '08 KLR650 before the big XR and it definitely had a stronger motor until I did the mods. I'm hoping the JD set up will do to my CRF what the Dave's mods did to my XR.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a CRF250X. I've bought this bike new in July of '06, but really haven't ridden it much other than an occasoinal hare scramble or enduro. I had an '04 XR250R that I prefered to ride but sold it recently hence why I'm trying to make something of the CRF.

Greg