User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Promach 1 OP
Promach 1

Oddometer: 204
Juneau

I am looking for a reasonable place to stay in Juneau. We are taking the ferry back from Alaska in August and will be there over night. Also would like some info on places to see/ride to. We have enough time to check things out before we leave the next afternoon.
Thanks,
Promach 1
Promach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
I've stayed in quite a few hotels in Juneau, never a bad one, so not much advice their other than just Google Juneau hotels and grab a room at one of the national chain hotels. I do know there are a "bunch" of B&Bs there, so if that's your thing Google can point you in the direction and maybe a local can come on and give more info there.

As for places to go, I always make time for a stop at Alaskan Brewing for a tour and some sampling in their tap room. A stop by the glacier view point is always cool too.

As far as places to ride, unless you go off on some trail excursions, you can cover all the roads in Juneau in a day...still some beautiful country to see.

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Farmholio
Wobbling weeble

Oddometer: 118
All about the same from my experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promach 1 View Post
I am looking for a reasonable place to stay in Juneau. We are taking the ferry back from Alaska in August and will be there over night. Also would like some info on places to see/ride to. We have enough time to check things out before we leave the next afternoon.
Thanks,
Promach 1
I agree with the previous poster. I live in Haines and do the Juneau "milk" run semi regularly. I've been to the two Best Westerns, the Frontier Inn and Super 8. Within reason, they're really all about the same and depending on the season are all going to run you about the same price (which gets quite a bit more in the summer, everything is about 100 bucks this time of year). Most of the larger chain hotels are north of downtown, near the airport and just a bit south of the ferry dock. Might be a good idea to book something early though. There doesn't appear to be a ton of capacity there and things can book up unexpectedly. In the winter that's during school sports stuff and particular legislative sessions, in the summer its tourists and others just generally passing through. I don't know much about the B&B's but suspect there's quite a few if you want to go that route.
Farmholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
hrspwrfiend

Oddometer: 28
Aspen Hotel is one of the newest in Juneau and has reasonable rates.

Farmholio, I'm curious as to who you are?

Good judgment comes from bad experience ... and most of that comes from bad judgment.
hrspwrfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
AKgeekgrrl
Ride now. Talk later.

Oddometer: 90
Don't let the price fool you: You're better off sleeping under a bench than staying at the Bergman Hotel. Good place to drink though, I'm told, if you like local "character."

I put folks up at the Silverbow Inn and they love it.
AKgeekgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Kul Mom
aka sKul Marm

Oddometer: 365
Juneau accommodations.

I stayed in two places in Juneau last summer. One on the way out and one on the way back. On the way out I stayed at the Baronof downtown (mostly for historical reasons). It was OK. Easy to get into, not so much leaving. On the way back I stayed at Grandma's Feather Bed. Much better. Convenient to downtown, the glacier and the ferry. Plus much easier parking!

-KM
Kul Mom is offline   Reply With Quote