User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
Reformed DucFlogger OP
Inventor Of The Wheel Mk2

Oddometer: 1,445
Needed: 2005 640 Canisterectomy Advice

After a swearing, crappy afternoon (see rear rack post), now have charcoal canister on my 2005 640 Adv exposed. Read posts on pre-04 canister removal but new system appears different. 'Concerned" that it's a more evolved system a la the 950. Has into airbox from rear, hose from canister to bottom rhs of airbox and a larger diameter hose that appears to connect to carb and/or possibly vacum valve (tank not off yet).

Any advice/experience as to hwo to remove? Idea was to mount a toolbox in place of cannister.

However, now bebating whether it's worth the effort at this juncture - it's hotter and muggier than snot outside and after struggling with the !@#$% rear rack my patience sight now for anything other than a simple removal and cap is limited...

Thx
Old 06-30-2005, 04:55 AM   #2
Reformed DucFlogger OP

Just

...to clarify after more research. One hose goes into the snorkle, the other the lower end of the airbox between the filter and carb. the third, larger diameter hose runs under the tank. My suspicion (the tank is full and still on the bike) given the large dia of this hose vs. the smaller one from the locking tank cap is that the two hoses meet at some form of valve, etc. However, I'm just guessing at this juncture.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,582
I'm looking forward to a response to this post. I wouldn't mind chucking mine if it's not doing me any favors being on the bike.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Reformed DucFlogger OP

If..

...I don't get anyput I'll post what I find when tank comes off. They are pretty useless - and I'd love the space for a toolkit that's not hanging in the breeze screaming 'steal me' to every 14yr old walking by with his ass out of his pants.

Rant - saw one asshat last week - 1 pair shorts on normally, second outer set with waist band just above his knees. Screw protecting the environment for them I say....
Old 06-30-2005, 04:34 PM   #5
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,230
Pretty simple, The hose into the airbox is just that, in the open scoop. Follow the hose to the Carb, plug the spigot on the carb. Remove the canister. Cut the hose from the fuel cap long enough to go into the hole in the top tripple clamp. Leave it long enough to go ALL the way through with a couple inches sticking out. You're done. Just follow common sense and the hoses.

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:31 AM   #6
Reformed DucFlogger OP

Great...

...so do the carb hose and the fuel cap hose join under the tank?
Old 07-01-2005, 06:17 AM   #7
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,230
To be honest I don't remember but I don't think so. I was doing other things so I had the tank off and the seat too. Everything was out in the open. I removed mine because I needed the room to run some wires. The hose bundle on the right side under the side cover was pretty busy with no room for the wire.

A typical Canister has 3 hoses. The vent to the tank, the air intake (one going to the air box) and the vacuum line to the carb/intake system. The KTM has the least sophisiticated (reads simple) system I've seen. No valves or relays

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:14 AM   #8
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
i must have a different 640. my 05 had a hose from the gas tank vent to the cannister and one hose to the air box. pulled the hose from the air box and unscrewed the fitting and put a comparable sheet metal screw in its place with a little glue to seal it. cross tied the remaining hose to the rear subframe for venting to the gas cap and i was done. that cannister is pretty heavy too. there is a hole in the center of the tripple clamp where you could put the vent hose if you wanted to remove the section to the rear.

i cored the muffle and put the ktm air box cover with the screen on it. and i have a sweet running machine. put a one step larger pilot jet and upped the main to 160 and left the needle alone.

if you havent done this you are missing out on the greatness of this bike. lots of torque from 2,000 rpm up. i short shift now and its plenty for me.

i hate that chain guard but remember if you remove it and ride much off road your chain life will be reduced dramatically. the rear tire just packs the chain with dirt and mud.

i didnt bother with the tool box. if i am off road i travel with a large camel back. i dont know how much the stock tool kit alone will help out. if i need more i put my large metal bags on the back.

later.

john in idaho
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:22 PM   #9
Reformed DucFlogger OP

Consistency

appears to be lacking on these bikes - be it threadlocker on bolts to cannister types.

Mine definitely has 3 hoses. One into snorkel, one into bottom of airbox between filter and carb and one larger dia one snaking under the gas tank.

The interesting part is that the fuel vent hose, which also vanishes under the tank is 1/2 the dia of the hose it (I would assume) connects to under the tank from the cannister.

My wife's '03 has 3 - one into snorkel, one into bottom of airbox and 3rd venting under the seat....

The gas cap vent hose looks like it may have been connected to this open-ended hose as is same type & dia, but was just loose when we got the bike, so I snaked it into the triple clamp -- that is until we replaced her fuel cap with a vented locking one from ktm-sommer.

Looks like her cannister should come off as well - as doesn't seem to be doing frack all.

I'd like an abbreviated tool collection, front tube, etc on bike all the time - just in case. Just for flat repair and minor tweaks to bars, if find lose bolt, etc.

On longer trips will add tools like sparkplug wrench, duct tape for fairings, etc into either her HB bags, tank bag, etc.

I am also trying to pennytech a way to keep a front tube and co2 carts on either side of the rad up under the front fairing (where tank meets front shroud).

There's a nice pair of voids in there.

Figure I can attach tyre levers to frame (put in old inner tube and zip-tie up under rear rack - or behind the number plate holder.

All this is of course is temp until we can get the ktm-sommer bash plates with attached tool boxes...
Old 07-01-2005, 02:11 PM   #10
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed DucFlogger
appears to be lacking on these bikes - be it threadlocker on bolts to cannister types.

Mine definitely has 3 hoses. One into snorkel, one into bottom of airbox between filter and carb and one larger dia one snaking under the gas tank.

The interesting part is that the fuel vent hose, which also vanishes under the tank is 1/2 the dia of the hose it (I would assume) connects to under the tank from the cannister.

My wife's '03 has 3 - one into snorkel, one into bottom of airbox and 3rd venting under the seat....

The gas cap vent hose looks like it may have been connected to this open-ended hose as is same type & dia, but was just loose when we got the bike, so I snaked it into the triple clamp -- that is until we replaced her fuel cap with a vented locking one from ktm-sommer.

Looks like her cannister should come off as well - as doesn't seem to be doing frack all.

I'd like an abbreviated tool collection, front tube, etc on bike all the time - just in case. Just for flat repair and minor tweaks to bars, if find lose bolt, etc.

On longer trips will add tools like sparkplug wrench, duct tape for fairings, etc into either her HB bags, tank bag, etc.

I am also trying to pennytech a way to keep a front tube and co2 carts on either side of the rad up under the front fairing (where tank meets front shroud).

There's a nice pair of voids in there.

Figure I can attach tyre levers to frame (put in old inner tube and zip-tie up under rear rack - or behind the number plate holder.

All this is of course is temp until we can get the ktm-sommer bash plates with attached tool boxes...
sorry about that there is a third that is loosely stuck into the snorkel and definitely not looking like it belongs there. the one from under the tank starts at the filler cap. the whole system is screaming to take me off. the large diameter hose is just jammed over the little one that comes off the cap.

i would go ahead and take the tank off. its a whole lot easier to do it on the trail when you have done it before in your garage. mine can be off in a mater of a few minutes. gota take the faring off first and thats no big deal. i use a 1/4 inch speed wrench and an 8 mm socket. two where the tank meets the fairing on both sides. 4 up around the headlight and it slips off. one under the seat pop the hoses and your in business. if its a new one i would check the valves at first. my left side exhaust was tight from day one and i finally did an adjustment at 500 mi because it ran so ratty and it was completely closed. did a 140 mile run last weekend mostly on dirt and the tail pipe was a nice dark grey. it looked perfect.

i have tried for years to tie stuff onto the back of any bike but if you plan on going bumpy places it just never seems to work. ortlieb bags would be your best bet. i have a set of them and they fit on the stock luggage racks niceley. i have one of the tourtech tail bags and i cant keep that secured at all unless i am just on the street.

i got about 46 mpg on the last tank and thats with a 160 main jet. will probably be going down to a 157.5 and raising the needle 1/2 notch. the motor sounds so happy now.

john in idaho
mars is offline   Reply With Quote