User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
oli-oli OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Slight hesitation when starting bike

It's a 2011 1200GS TB, 19,000 kms... A couple of times over the last month, I noted that it hesitated a bit before starting (running smoothly thereafter). Immediate suspect was a failing battery. However, a voltage tester indicated that the battery was holding its charge. The cable terminals were good and tight. The hesitations had occurred after a short break in a long-ish ride, with the engine still hot. No same hesitation at first start in the morning. If a weak battery is not the problem, where do I look next? Thank you all in advance for your help....

oli-oli screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 12:30 AM
oli-oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
JLeather
Bike Butcherer

Oddometer: 291
Have you load-tested the battery? Static voltage will not reveal a bad battery until it is really bad. There is a device that will simulate a load and see how much the voltage drops, or you can check the voltage while you crank and see how far down it drops. The second method sometimes requires an analog meter (with a needle) because a lot of digital meters don't work fast enough. You can usually have a battery load-tested at any decent place that sells batteries (like AutoZone) but the downside is that they sell batteries and may be inclined to exaggerate how bad yours is getting.
JLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,570
Mine did the same thing(2011). I took it to the dealer and it tested fine. They told me BMW wouldn't warranty it if their machine said it was good. They suspected a bad cell and unfortunately I'd have to wait until the battery died. Sure enough, I went on a long ride with a buddy and stopped at a rest area and it wouldn't start up again. Luckily I had jumper cables and we jumped it and rode back to the same dealer and they replaced it. No problems since.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:36 AM   #4
oli-oli OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thanks a lot guys! All I needed was some assurance that the solution was nothing more than a battery change.

Ride safe everyone!!!
oli-oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by oli-oli View Post
Thanks a lot guys! All I needed was some assurance that the solution was nothing more than a battery change.

Ride safe everyone!!!
I don't know about the R1200, but my 1150 had bad grease on the starter and, being cold since it's winter, seemed to have trouble starting. I cleaned and re-lubed the starter and it worked fine.

However, this might be a sign of a troubled battery for me.

But yes, from your post, it doesn't sound like anything that would cost too much money.
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by everycredit View Post
I don't know about the R1200, but my 1150 had bad grease on the starter and, being cold since it's winter, seemed to have trouble starting. I cleaned and re-lubed the starter and it worked fine.

However, this might be a sign of a troubled battery for me.

But yes, from your post, it doesn't sound like anything that would cost too much money.
Lubing the starter can also resolve the nasty grinding noise these bikes sometimes make during a cold start.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
I've had slow cranking when hot problems twice on my 09 GSA. First time it was the starter failing. If I rode long enough for the bike to heat up in the summer then stopped for a short stop, it would barely crank fast enough to start. Let it sit a hour or so and it was perfect. That was under warranty.

About a year later it started to happen again. Similar problem, but not exactly the same. Battery failed when tested. New battery solved the problem.

So, my opinion is there are two possibilites. Battery probably being the cheapest and easiest to test..

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote