Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #61
beanbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
hi, I am a 69 year old, who once could nearly pick up the bike and carry it out, but those days are gone,I still enjoy exploring on my own, after getting caught in a clay area,and had trouble picking the bike up, I brought a pair of truck tie downs, the type with a ratchet,these along with a shifter to extend the handle are ideal, you can tie one end to a tree,or whatever is handy, the other end over the seat and onto a footrest, then lever it upright, if no tree is handy,make a harness over your shoulder and use that to bring the beast up, oh, practice at home first,
beanbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #62
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
what's the name of this super cool come along? how much did they sell for?

cy, hi!

This is the link to the company, but unfortunately the website says they are regrouping, and there is nothing for sale there.

http://www.adventureengineering.com/

My best recollection is they were selling for somewhere in the $200 range, could be more, could be less.

The Specifications are below.

Liz

The BringAlong™ - Ultra-Compact Hand Winch

The BringAlong™ is an ultra-compact hand winch designed for portability and ease of use. It has been thoroughly engineered and tested for the rated load and beyond (never exceed the rated capacity). It has been designed with computer aided drafting and analyzed for stress and deflection with computer based finite element analysis. The billet aluminum frame is machined on precision CNC machine tools, then carefully assembled and tested, all in the USA. The cable is a synthetic material called Spectra© that is extremely strong and stretch resistant.

The BringAlong™ is ideal as a rescue device for 4-wheelers and snow machines that may end up in unfortunate situations. With a load capacity of 600lbs (1,200lbs when used with the provided pulley block), hunters and outdoorsmen will find unlimited uses, from hoisting game up a tree, to moving a fallen log out of the way.

Complete kit weighs 2.8 lbs and measures 7” x 4” x 3”. Kit contents include the following:
  • BringAlong™ hand winch with 12 useable feet of Spectra® cable
  • Three carabiners
  • (Two) six foot, 1000 lb capacity lanyards with woven loop ends
  • Load doubling pulley block
  • Carry bag
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #63
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt View Post
There was a little come-a-long system using Dyneema line. These are the photos of it. Unfortunately, it appears the company is regrouping.

Very cool bit of kit. Add a longer length of rope, and it would be a great help in extracting any bike from an off trail excursion or muddy pit. Maybe carry a small shovel or digging tool so you could bury a side case and use it like an anchor for when no good tie offs are around (common in the desert), and you would really have something.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #64
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
One more idea {told you guys I am a genius....a legend in my own mind ...or not}

Go to the gym, strengthen your abs, back and legs, and then carry a pair of these for slippery ground:

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...s_e_1456717201
Old 01-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #65
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
$249 for that little come-a-long: http://web.archive.org/web/201101190...eering.com/ae/

That would be a great little tool to have, but $249 is just a bit too much for my blood.
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #66
beanbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
18 Dollars Australian,from auto shops or somewhere like buntings, truck tie downs, light ,and works well
beanbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #67
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,422
My 1150GSA (WUMPA) never falls over in the mud or sand but it cost me big bucks to make it this way. Click my sig thread if you don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #68
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,235
any tool to help picking up your adventure in the mud?

A couple of New England Patriots....

They've got plenty of time on their hands these days...

def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #69
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbandit View Post
18 Dollars Australian,from auto shops or somewhere like buntings, truck tie downs, light ,and works well
Great idea to throw in the case.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #70
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt View Post
cy, hi!

This is the link to the company, but unfortunately the website says they are regrouping, and there is nothing for sale there.

http://www.adventureengineering.com/

My best recollection is they were selling for somewhere in the $200 range, could be more, could be less.

The Specifications are below.

Liz

The BringAlong™ - Ultra-Compact Hand Winch

thanks... now to find one ...
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:28 AM   #71
OzRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbandit View Post
I now carry a 250 kg ratchet strap in the tool tube.
I find that a loaded GS is easier to pick up than a Tenere...as the GS does not fall over all the way due to the engine pots.
Thinking of ground anchors you could use a pannier box full of mud or sand burried in the ground and a strap around it....
or 4x4 drivers bury a log with a strap around them.
The photo is my Tenere burried in a bog hole...six hours later I eventually got it out....using a lever.
OzRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #72
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,154
Deadlifts, front squats and Crossfit will have you lifting that GSA in no time!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #73
shin938 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
At the risk of opening myself up to much derision again, here is my solution from a few years ago.

I still carry this jack in the bottom of my top case. I have probably dropped by GSA about 20 times off road in the last few years, and since I have been carrying this jack around I have never had to use it in order to pick up the bike. I will say that is seems mysterious to me why sometimes the GSA is easy to pick up and other times it is much more difficult. The time in the snow pictured below was one of the difficult times, so I do think traction has lots to do with it. I suspect it would be difficult to pick up in a field of wet clay. And I think all bets are off for most of us if we have a broken leg or seperated shoulder and have to pick the bike up solo.

Rob Thank you , this is exactly what I was looking for. I will definitely get one for myself.
shin938 is offline   Reply With Quote