User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
shiftspy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Question Poll: What is your Volt Meter Reading

What is a normal reading on your GSA 1150. I seem to have a MAX reading of 13.8. I have seen on the Japanese bikes that the voltmeter goes beyond 14.2. I have been troubled by electric problems and this is my second battery in a year

My bike is a standard setup, No fog lights or other gadgets to draw extra amphs away.
Normally Ignition on: 12.2 ~12.6
Crank starting reads 11.1~11.4
Afterwhich reading climbs gradually back to 13.6 ~13.8 without reving the trottle
When Riding Voltage reading: 13.8 ~13.9.. and Never beyond that, Is that normal for you guys as well??

Can a bad battery cause the starter motor to degrade or break, or a bad starter motor be enough to damage the battery?
I just had my starter motor replaced and a new odyssey FC680 installed, hoping to end this saga.
shiftspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
def
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,945
My most recent battery replacement is a Odyssey PC680. I have similar voltage readings as yours. However, when charging from the alternator, I get readings slightly higher than yours (mine are closer to 14.0 VDC).

Where are you taking the readings? Also, make sure your main battery connections are clean, bright and tight.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftspy View Post
Afterwhich reading climbs gradually back to 13.6 ~13.8 without reving the trottle
When Riding Voltage reading: 13.8 ~13.9.. and Never beyond that, Is that normal for you guys as well??

Looks very normal to me. In fact, I would be concerned with overcharging the battery when charging voltage exceeds 13.8 volts. Battery can get cooked.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,997
[... or a bad starter motor be enough to damage the battery?]

Certainly. When the starter reaches the endpoint of service life it draws more power. In some cases enough to quickly kill a new battery.

[13.8vdc charging voltage?]

Seems a tad low but still within spec. As def said, clean the battery terminals. Voltage reading should be done at the battery terminals. Voltage is temperature dependent. Check alternator belt tension. Increase the engine rpm with the grip. Any change? Start with a fully charge PC680. Refer to the Odyssey battery manual and list of approved chargers. The Odyssey PC680 requires a compatible charger for optimal output. Barring that, going for a very long ride with a good mc charging system will bring it up. If you have performed all of the above, particularly charging the PC680 correctly and have waited several hours you can use the Odyssey battery voltage chart to determine the SOC or state of charge using a voltmeter (engine not running). A like new, fully charged PC680, at 70F, resting overnight will read close to 14.0 volts, open circuit.

[Looks very normal to me. In fact, I would be concerned with overcharging the battery when charging voltage exceeds 13.8 volts. Battery can get cooked. ]

Not correct. More to it than simply observing battery voltage at one stage of charging. efer to Odyssey Energis battery charging tables and use approved chargers. Note that the approved float voltage is not the same as absorption voltage.

Your cranking voltage seems o.k. and you should not be experiencing low voltage abs faulting.
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Terry
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300

Mine reads 14.0 or 14.1 volts right at the battery terminals while charging. After several miles it will slowly drop to 13.8 or 13.9 volts. It will be higher when it is cold out, and lower on hot days.

Terry
Old 10-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I have a 1200GSA and my voltmeter reads 14.2-14.3 while riding. It is wired right to the battery terminals.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Roll-sen
Hater be Hatin'

Oddometer: 127
Voltmeter wired from Centech fuse block.

Running at idle- 13.9 - 14.0
Running at freeway RPM w/lo and hi beam 35w HIDs- 13.8 - 14.0
Freeway RPM w/low + hi HID + two aux 35w HIDs- 13.6 - 13.8
Idle w/low + hi HID + two aux HIDs- 13.4 - 13.6
Roll-sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
4wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,779
Voltages in the range you are getting would indicate that the battery is close to full charge. If you get readings in the 14.5-.14.8 range, it would be because the battery is somewhat discharged.

What sort of batteries have you been using as replacements? The standard BMW gel batteries do not have a good reputation. Just sayin'.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #9
shiftspy OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
My most recent battery replacement is a Odyssey PC680. I have similar voltage readings as yours. However, when charging from the alternator, I get readings slightly higher than yours (mine are closer to 14.0 VDC).

Where are you taking the readings? Also, make sure your main battery connections are clean, bright and tight.
I wired em' to the ignition switch. Battery is a brand new PC680. I unpack and install as this was gel and thought it didn't require charging
shiftspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:50 AM   #10
gulemetov
n00b

After riding it for 40miles the reading is 12.75V with GS-911 and voltmeter, after 8h it is 12.5V and is not moving from there for2-3 weeks. BTW I'm also with PC 535 , my bike is R1200GS and the battery fits without any mods
gulemetov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #11
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftspy View Post
What is a normal reading on your GSA 1150. I seem to have a MAX reading of 13.8. I have seen on the Japanese bikes that the voltmeter goes beyond 14.2. I have been troubled by electric problems and this is my second battery in a year

My bike is a standard setup, No fog lights or other gadgets to draw extra amphs away.

Can a bad battery cause the starter motor to degrade or break, or a bad starter motor be enough to damage the battery?
I just had my starter motor replaced and a new odyssey FC680 installed, hoping to end this saga.
Mine stays on 13.8 at all times, no matter the revs (except cold idle) or consumers.

And I have an LCD voltmeter mounted on the dash, wired to the parking light on the front. It reads 13.4 because it is connected to the bulb but on the battery terminals or on the cigarette slot it reads 13.8 at all times.

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
Gompie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
batteryuniversity.com for decent answers / explanations
Gompie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
skidlid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
OK this may be a silly question,but keep in mind that I freely admit to not knowing anything about this sort of thing. What if your voltage is jumping all over the place ? From 8.2 to 14.1. This spike occurs regardless of the speed I am going. Haven't ridden the bike much since I noticed it happening since I don't want to damage anything, or get stranded. The reading I'm getting is off my Garmin 276C.Bike is a 2006 R1200 GS Adventure. Battery is two years old. No problem cranking it over. It's on the way to the shop, though I thought I'd throw this out there to see if someone can maybe point me in the right direction before I drop it off.
skidlid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
JKGREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
A 12 volt system which is the common name is actually 13.75 volts. That is usually the standard for automobiles and motorcycles.
JKGREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 512
voltage jumping around...

Could be a lot of things, most of them not the charging system. To rule that out, start the bike and put a voltmeter directly to the battery terminals, seeing if it jumps around there like on your Garmin. If it doesn't, you can pretty much relax about your charging system. Then you'd be looking for a poor gnd, or mebbe a dirty contact feeding the Garmin, or even a faulty connection inside it.....assume everything else works well with the Garmin? If it jumps around the same as the Garmin, you might want to start looking at alternator to voltage regulator wiring; a bad, old, or overheated connector might cause a similar problem. Rule out the simple things first before you suspect the alternator/v regulator.

I have a voltmeter on mine that isn't really waterproof, I RTV'd the back of it and in cold weather riding, it will sometimes either lose the voltmeter reading all together, or it will jump around to screwy voltages. Warm weather it seems fine. Never have fixed it (yet), because I pretty much know it's just the wire connection to the voltmeter.

roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote