User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
seniorasi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Bash Plate

I did my first oil change on the 2012 GSA after viewing JVB's 2010+ maintenance DVD. The bash plate on my bike is way smaller and does not have the rubber block in the fins under the engine. I also have two different size torx bolts on the front of the bash plate and one has a nut plate in the threaded hole. Before I go off on the service department at the dealer I need some feedback.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

You have a stock plate, I am sure JVB has an aftermarket but I don't want to speak for him. If you are interested in an aftermarket plate, there are many threads out there that will tell you if you don't use that one, you don't care about the planet, if you don't use a BDCW like mine, you will ruin your bike and your mom will disown you...
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,281
I have "THE" answer...Twin Headlight Ernie

http://twinheadlighternie.smugmug.co...4527&k=7GbNkFT
Skid plates and lots of good farkles to lighten your wallet.

THE skidplate: OEM inside his
 photo THEskidplate.jpg

THE installed...along with Center stand plate.
what the sign says... photo DSC01256.jpg

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 03:41 PM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorasi View Post
I did my first oil change on the 2012 GSA after viewing JVB's 2010+ maintenance DVD. The bash plate on my bike is way smaller and does not have the rubber block in the fins under the engine. I also have two different size torx bolts on the front of the bash plate and one has a nut plate in the threaded hole. Before I go off on the service department at the dealer I need some feedback.
BMW do this (all the different fasteners) just to keep things interesting.

What you've got is how they come from the dealer.

I like the TwinheadlightErnie plate - I also like the ALTRIDER version.

Iron Rey is right - if you don't get one of these onto your bike soon, there's no telling how things will end...
Old 02-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,171
BMW has a larger optional plate. That is the one in the Camhead video.

Yours was likely more like this:

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
seniorasi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
BMW has a larger optional plate. That is the one in the Camhead video.

Yours was likely more like this:

Jim
Sort of...except mine doesn't have holes in the bottom...I'll post some pics.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:21 AM   #7
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
What kind of feedback do you need? That's the way they come from the factory. You didn't take note of which bolts go where before you removed them?
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
seniorasi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrshire bull View Post

iron rey is right - if you don't get one of these onto your bike soon, there's no telling how things will end...
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
seniorasi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
What kind of feedback do you need? That's the way they come from the factory. You didn't take note of which bolts go where before you removed them?
Hi, Thank you for the response. Just my paranoia regarding dealer service, trusting mechanics to R&R my original parts using original hardware in a manner befitting the profession. I prefer to do my own maintenance and bypass the agonizing terror wondering what the mechanic screwed up. The reasoning behind taking it to the dealer is warranty coverage. They did the 600 mile check at a cost of $300.00. 200 miles later my luggage rack is falling apart due to loose hardware. NICE!

To repeat my original post: No rubber block. Threaded hole in the bash plate bracket with a nut plate installed rather than the correct size fastener to fit the threaded hole. I merely found it hard to believe BMW would use a nut plate as a fix for parts that were obviously mismatched. Suspicion falls on the last guy to work on the bike. Being a cop I'm sure you know that.

Considering the quality manufacturers are putting out these days I wanted to make certain I wasn't making an unfounded accusation against the guy that would be doing the 6,000 mile service, hence the request for "feedback". Obviously BMW allowed fucked up parts to be installed on their bikes with no apologies. I didn't go off on the service department and all is good...not withstanding the parts issue.

seniorasi screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 07:49 AM
Old 02-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,281
Quote:
Hi, Thank you for the response. Just my paranoia regarding dealer service, trusting mechanics to R&R my original parts using original hardware in a manner befitting the profession. I prefer to do my own maintenance and bypass the agonizing terror wondering what the mechanic screwed up. The reasoning behind taking it to the dealer is warranty coverage. They did the 600 mile check at a cost of $300.00. 200 miles later my luggage rack is falling apart due to loose hardware. NICE!

To repeat my original post: No rubber block. Threaded hole in the bash plate bracket with a nut plate installed rather than the correct size fastener to fit the threaded hole. I merely found it hard to believe BMW would use a nut plate as a fix for parts that were obviously mismatched. Suspicion falls on the last guy to work on the bike. Being a cop I'm sure you know that.
How about some nice pics?

Is it like this one?
 photo skidplate.jpg

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 08:19 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,548
The rubber block is for the aftermarket BMW skid plate as JVB mentioned. I hear exactly what you're saying. I had the dealer do my 600mi service and I have done my own service since then. There was a thread on here about an inmate having the oil filter on so tight from the dealer that he had to rip it off. Your best bet would be to buy an aftermarket skid plate with the appropriate amount of protection you think you'll need. There's a few threads on here with great reviews. I'm partial to the Black Dog plate, but most others will work just fine if you don't do extreme offroading with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,649
At the risk of stating the obvious, if you really never go off-road or the most you'll venture is on graded forest service roads then the stock OEM plate is just fine. After all, street bikes don't even have that amount of protection. If encountering rocks, logs, etc. is in the bike's future, then you ought to look into something more substantial.

My stock OEM was partially torn off and bent during a close encounter with a curb, and was promptly replaced by a sturdier item that has lots of battle scars but has protected the engine and header pipes well.
jdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
seniorasi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
How about some nice pics?

Is it like this one?
Hi Laurel. Identical!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
seniorasi OP
Banned

Nut plate where a bolt should be

As you can see in the pic there is a nut plate over a threaded hole in the mounting bracket for the bash plate. It is a poor man's Alice. So: Does anyone else have this nut plate holding on the front left corner of their bash plate?

seniorasi screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 09:32 AM
Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
seniorasi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
At the risk of stating the obvious, if you really never go off-road or the most you'll venture is on graded forest service roads then the stock OEM plate is just fine. After all, street bikes don't even have that amount of protection. If encountering rocks, logs, etc. is in the bike's future, then you ought to look into something more substantial.

My stock OEM was partially torn off and bent during a close encounter with a curb, and was promptly replaced by a sturdier item that has lots of battle scars but has protected the engine and header pipes well.
After getting a closer look at the mounting system for the plate it is apparent a better design could be had. In MNSHO it wouldn't take much to rip the bosses off of the engine and break the engine cases regardless of which plate (after market or OEM) one uses. What an incredibly poor design!