Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #31
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Well, it looks like I may be getting a Majesty. I was looking at $4000 scooters, in the 200cc range. But I just sold my '95 Goldwing today, after being on the fence about it for months, and now have another $4000 to spend. I've decided that Japanese is the way to go, for parts and reliability. The Majesty may seem expensive for what it is, but I was also seriously considering a Honda CTX700N at about the same price. The Majesty would be more comfortable and no shifting. After doing some research, there is really not much else available. The Burg 650 is simply too big, not much smaller than the 'Wing, which I was having issues with in tight spots and parking lots. The 400 is a lot more expensive, and has ABS, which I DO NOT WANT.

I checked all the maxi scooters several months ago. The Silverwing was the best fit, with it's cutouts in the floorboards for your legs. But I just checked Honda's site, the priced has not been released yet, but it is not available without ABS, something I don't want, and that would make it a lot more expensive than I want to pay.

I considered Vespa, Piaggio, and Kymco. Vespa is simply too expensive (GTS300 Super), the Piaggio BV350 is about $1000 less, but you would lose a good part of that in additional fees because it is being sold by a Vespa/BMW dealer, it's 50cc less, and I'm not sure about parts availability. The Kymco Xciting 500 is the same price, has 100cc more, unfortunately it is not available without ABS. And while I have nothing against Kymco, I won't pay the same price for a Kymco as I would a Yamaha.

So, the Majesty is pretty much it for a maxi. I definitely want new, because I intend to ride the wheels off it. And I will maintain it properly from the very beginning. And it would almost certainly be my last new bike. Three things I don't like about the 2013 Majesty is the dark color that shows dirt and scratches so easily, the wide floorboards, and then there is the $600+ valve adjustment, which while only needed every 26,000 miles, is a bit much. That would be about 2 years riding for me.

Time to do some serious negotiating with the dealers, and see what I can come up with. I AM NOT paying an extra $1000 in freight and setup fees.
I would say, if you want comfort go with the Majesty. If you want performance, go with a Tmax. There are some new leftover models for both so you should be able to find either at a discount. It's hard to believe you still can buy a brand new 2009 Yamaha Tmax...
Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #32
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,238
I think you will enjoy the Maj, Jerry. It has the legs to make long runs like you have out there and still be fun going to the grocery. I have enjoyed many care free miles on mine. Having kept it nearly four years says a lot considering how often I trade bikes.
The newer ones do have adjustable shocks and an extra disc up front. The shocks are the only other upgrade I would consider on my '07.
Good luck finding a good deal and then get on it and ride!
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #33
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732
JerryH, why don't you want ABS. That is a huge selling point for me. I want ABS.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #34
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
First it uses a computer, and I don't like computers on motor vehicles. But the main reason is because I have been riding (on and off road) for 45 years, and I have never needed it. And I don't like anything that takes away control of the bike from me. I also don't believe it is as safe as many people seem to think. I have watched several videos of bikes crashing due to a loss of front wheel traction, even with ABS. So it is definitely not a cure all, or a guarantee that you will never crash. Add to that it is ridiculously expensive, and from reading the BMW forums, failure prone as well.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #35
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
I'm in the scoot market for Mrs. Samthg & me, but not for two-up. I'll be buying 2 scoots.

The 250 & under will not do it. I want to be able to venture out of town 100-150mi for overnight trips. This is gunna require some highway travel and 60mph won't work, gotta go faster than that just to keep up.

The weights of the maxi's is the same as my RT. The Majesty 400 is about 100 lbs less. The seat height is a plus at 29". Had the wife on a SYM at a couple inches taller and she straddled it ok.

The valve adjustment involvement is a concern.

I've been over to BMW a few times, but at $10k and 575lbs, I don't think so.

Guess i'm just fishing around for some reason to buy or not to buy.

What'd think??.....
A modern 250 can cruise faster than 60 mph. My SYM Citycom can cruise easily 65 to 70 mph. The Kymco 300 can cruise 5 mph faster. These are actual speeds not indicated. As far as valve adjustments go my Citycom has 13000 miles on it, the valves have never been touched and they are fine.

I just treat the bike with a little restraint, I don't take it over 7000 rpm's. The go fast crowd who must run their bikes flat-out all the time, will be looking at much more frequent valve adjustments.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #36
vader1701
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Wanted to chime in here, reading this good postings, I own a 2008 Majesty and have added some goodies to mine including a backrest for me and I love this scoot. It has taken me many a place without a hitch and it just keeps on ticking. If anyone is interested I posted some video's on mine and the things I have done to it, you can look on my YouTube channel LordDarthVader1701.

I was a victim of the fuel pump horror but Yamaha stood behind it and fixed it. If you do choose the Majesty you won't regret it.

Also my YouTube channel LordDarthVader1701
vader1701 is offline   Reply With Quote