ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
my engine is a bit modded now...valves, guides, seals, springs all new...hrc clone cam, etc...

again you have to check the condition of everything to say yes or no

also the timimg chain can be measured in the sprocket itself if you cant line up tdc with the 3 lines on the sprocket you are stretched, change ifneeded

cheers

ps. steve has an xrl/xr rebuild engine thread that is the best for info and pics and how to. Im sure he can link it for you
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #17
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,110
Here is my engine rebuild thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713831

If you don't want to do the work put the engine in a box or plastic ice chest and send it to me. I'm a lot cheaper than a shop or dealer and I use a first rate machine shop.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
cavalier35 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
cavalier35's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver, WA
Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Here is my engine rebuild thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713831

If you don't want to do the work put the engine in a box or plastic ice chest and send it to me. I'm a lot cheaper than a shop or dealer and I use a first rate machine shop.
Hi Steve,

Great thread! I've come across it a time or two while trouble shooting things over the past year. Do you have an hourly rate? Or would this be more of a lump price?
cavalier35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
bomber1965
Duel
 
bomber1965's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 2,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier35 View Post

I checked both jets in the carb and seem to be clear.
The sand would not go through the fuel jets, just be carried along the air flow into the intake manifold past the intake valve and into the combustion chamber.


Ingesting sand is considered a death sentence for engines.


please post photos during disassembly.
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
if you do decide to have someone do the work for you, look no further!

Steves tools speak for themselves, he has helped me and many others and is definitely the xr guy on here...

cant say enough good about him! ajjajajaajajajjajaja


elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #21
cavalier35 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
cavalier35's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver, WA
Oddometer: 125
I don't doubt some sand got into the engine but to what extent I'm not sure.

The more and more I think about it, I seem to remember being able to get past TDC easier than I remember even before I went riding on the dunes.

I have no doubt Steve is the go to guy. I've seen him help countless people over the past year here and it's obvious he has a ton of mechanical knowledge and experience.

My only concern is putting more money into an older bike with outdated technology. Don't get me wrong, I love this bike and has been a perfect fit, but just trying to be smart and think big picture.
cavalier35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #22
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier35 View Post
Hi Steve,

Great thread! I've come across it a time or two while trouble shooting things over the past year. Do you have an hourly rate? Or would this be more of a lump price?

PM sent
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #23
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,110
I can't for some reason reply to your latest PM.

Call me 415-661-0957
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #24
jules083
Beastly Adventurer
 
jules083's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Richmond, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier35 View Post
My only concern is putting more money into an older bike with outdated technology. Don't get me wrong, I love this bike and has been a perfect fit, but just trying to be smart and think big picture.
I disagree on that one, and here's why:

You said that you love the bike and it's a perfect fit. Without knowing the repair cost yet, I'll ask this. What is the cost for you to purchase another bike, which I assume by what you said will be similar? Now, what kind of shape will that bike be in? Also, what is your bike worth non-running?

I'm going to guess that your non running bike is worth maybe 200-400. A 'new' (used) bike will probably run 1500-3500 depending on what you want. Maybe more. Now you still have some mods to do to your new bike. At the end of it all, you still have a partially worn motor.

On the flip side of that, send your motor away to get rebuilt. While it's gone go over all suspension bushings, grease everything, replace what's worn, etc. When you're done you'll have a fully re-built bike that should need nothing for a long time if you take care of it. It's lasted for 23 years now, no reason with a full re-build it won't go another 23.
__________________
COBDR and UTBDR on my klx250:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #25
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ben99r1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Pomona, Calif.
Oddometer: 2,979
cavalier35. If you rebuilt your 500xl motor you should be able to do this one. I was in the same position as you last year with my 97 xr650l. I could of bought something new but I would of had to make payments. Or open up the motor and see what was wrong with it. Well I got lucky and it just turned out that I needed new rings, light hone, valve seals and gaskets. But now I know that the bike is working well and all the parts in the motor are in good shape. (piece of mind.) I got 40,000 miles out of my first top end. I don't see why I would not be able to get another 20-30k more after doing the top end. I was going to first send my motor to Steve. But after reading all the post on our engines here I wanted to see if I would be able to do it myself. I know feel more confident about my bike and engine and my wrenching skills. JUST TRY IT. If you get in trouble the guys here will help you out.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #26
cavalier35 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
cavalier35's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver, WA
Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
cavalier35. If you rebuilt your 500xl motor you should be able to do this one. I was in the same position as you last year with my 97 xr650l. I could of bought something new but I would of had to make payments. Or open up the motor and see what was wrong with it. Well I got lucky and it just turned out that I needed new rings, light hone, valve seals and gaskets. But now I know that the bike is working well and all the parts in the motor are in good shape. (piece of mind.) I got 40,000 miles out of my first top end. I don't see why I would not be able to get another 20-30k more after doing the top end. I was going to first send my motor to Steve. But after reading all the post on our engines here I wanted to see if I would be able to do it myself. I know feel more confident about my bike and engine and my wrenching skills. JUST TRY IT. If you get in trouble the guys here will help you out.
I appreciate the encouragement. My only concern is if there's anything going on in the bottom end (ie second gear). I didn't have issues with it popping out but a lot of the single track up here was done in second gear.

Would it make sense to do the top end without replacing second gear since it's notorious for wearing over time? I would hate to send metal particles through the oil of a freshly rebuilt top end.
cavalier35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #27
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
did second give you problems before? why would it now?

here is the deal, if you like the bike and the fit, then why not fix it?

the least expensive thing you can do to get it ok running again is a rering...done...valve cover gasket base and head gasket...

you can probably get by with $150 or so...even if things dont look perfect you know the engine runs...its easy to overspend and replace everything BUT you know these engines are powerful and wuthstand abuse...

so lap the valves, replace stem seals, do a simple topend job

done!

good luck

p.s whats outdated about an engine in between 2 wheels? who gives a crap whats NEW or not! the damn bike rocks enough stock...
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #28
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
lastly its third gear thats more notorious, again if its not popping out of gear or whinning excessively no prob.
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #29
cavalier35 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
cavalier35's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver, WA
Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
did second give you problems before? why would it now?

here is the deal, if you like the bike and the fit, then why not fix it?

the least expensive thing you can do to get it ok running again is a rering...done...valve cover gasket base and head gasket...

you can probably get by with $150 or so...even if things dont look perfect you know the engine runs...its easy to overspend and replace everything BUT you know these engines are powerful and wuthstand abuse...

so lap the valves, replace stem seals, do a simple topend job

done!

good luck

p.s whats outdated about an engine in between 2 wheels? who gives a crap whats NEW or not! the damn bike rocks enough stock...
haha...I like your approach! Second gear hasn't giving me any issues, but seems to be a bit noisier than third gear. Not sure if it needs replacement or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
lastly its third gear thats more notorious, again if its not popping out of gear or whinning excessively no prob.
No excessive whinning but just a little in second. The things never jumped out of gear on me.
cavalier35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #30
cavalier35 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
cavalier35's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver, WA
Oddometer: 125
I called Ricky Stator and described how my bike suddenly stopped running after about 4-5 hours of riding. It turns out a bad batch of stators went out with the wrong gauge wire and mine was one of those. I'm going to send it back tomorrow and will update if the bike wants to fire.
cavalier35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014