User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Lurkerlou OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
2012 990R getting 12 volts at unused ABS fuse

I have wired heated grips already and also a charger cable for my NOCO charger to under the seat to also double as a heated clothing plug but I would also like to wire a second power outlet into the glovebox location and I have tested the ABS fuse location and I have power there .....and being an R model I have no ABS.

Has anyone used this ABS wiring in the glovebox to pull power from on an R model as it would be right beside the location of the power outlet I wish to instal ?
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkerlou View Post
I have wired heated grips already and also a charger cable for my NOCO charger to under the seat to also double as a heated clothing plug but I would also like to wire a second power outlet into the glovebox location and I have tested the ABS fuse location and I have power there .....and being an R model I have no ABS.

Has anyone used this ABS wiring in the glovebox to pull power from on an R model as it would be right beside the location of the power outlet I wish to instal ?
I'm sorry I can't answer your specific question, but I installed a row of terminals in the glove box just to connect accessories of the kind about which you speak. I mounted a ground to the box as well that grounds to a point on the frame under the glove box. My setup is not very elegant, but it works. I just use in-line fuses.

I think there is a guy that is a member (or someone a member here pointed to) that makes a cleaner looking power distribution box, but I can't recall his name or company. Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Edit: I found this "how to" in the Halls of Wisdom, but it's not what I was thinking of. Maybe it will help: http://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/a...fuseblock.html
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Lurkerlou OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Everything helps for sure supahflid , thanks for your input.

I don't really want too much wiring on my bike thus why I went about wiring things the way I did.

I just wanted a direct shot at the battery for the charger and also use it as a heated vest outlet killing two birds with one stone essentially and using the acc wire for my grip heaters and an extra 12 cigarette port in the glovebox would complete my mission and being able to pull from directly beside where I would mount the plug vs tying in behind the headlight or running another wire direct from the battery. Less problems when wires don't have to travel around a turning set of triple clamps etc vs a 4inch wire connected to the same area that the wire is drawing its power from.

I like to wire things in such a way that I will never have to troubleshoot them on the side of the road. Wire it once and wire it right.

I thought maybe others with the R model have probably done just this. I will try and test voltages with key on/ off , brakes applied etc to see if there is any fault with my plan but I'll keep you posted and I'd love to hear any and all recommendations for and against.
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote