ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
n8dawg6 OP
krunkin'
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: MS
Oddometer: 212
2014 klr 650

Fellas, just got the email announcement that they are making some changes to the 2014 KLR 650:

http://www.kawasaki.com/NPL/Default....-LeftRailPromo

hope the link works. Anyway, stiffer suspension, and redesigned the seat. with the narrow seat, i might actually be able to swing a leg over and mount this one. about the most interested i've been in a new bike since i started riding 4 yrs ago.

thoughts?
__________________
'09 XR1200
'00 TT600
n8dawg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 19,396
nice improvements but really no big deal.

sounds like they are just using stiffer spring rates and a different seat.
doubt the suspension components are any different that just rates.
they old rates were too soft anyway.
i'm sure the same junk rear shock.

save $ on a left over one or slightly used one and do that yourself.
betting the seat cushion is still way too soft. most toss stock seats anyway and buy a corbin, sargent or seat concepts.

buy a 10-13 and spend the savings on a Cogent or others rear shock. DDC valves & proper springs in the forks and a seat concept seat and you'll spend less and have a MUCH better bike.

atleast they are trying, but these are improvements that are cheap to them and don't really modernize the bike. if Kawasaki wanted to really improve the bike then FI the motor and truly upgrade the suspension with USD up front and a quality shock in the rear. They could keep everything else the same (except for FI pump interface on the tank) charge $500-$1000 more and they'd sell like wildfire. If they did that it would require new EPA cert$. Of course they won't do a damn until they are backed into an EPA wall and can't sell what they make now any longer. Same thing with the DR650...keeping pumping em out as they can w/ EPA averaging across all models.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
NM map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 12-13-2013 at 01:58 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Snowbird
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Where the Great Lakes and Appalachia meet
Oddometer: 637
Put the KLR on a diet to drop about 100 pounds and spend some time lifting to gain muscle-- about 30 hp. Oh, and fix the doo for real.

That's when I'll buy another new.

Meanwhile, as I'm looking for another bike, I'll be enjoying the KLR as it is. At the price point it's not bad.
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson, AZ, It's a dry hate.
Oddometer: 4,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dawg6 View Post
Fellas, just got the email announcement that they are making some changes to the 2014 KLR 650:

Whoa, shit just got real.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
n8dawg6 OP
krunkin'
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: MS
Oddometer: 212
honestly, im just hoping to be able to tiptoe and touch the ground whilst seated on one ...
__________________
'09 XR1200
'00 TT600
n8dawg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Strongsville, OH
Oddometer: 699
Kawasaki is fond of 'parts bin' bikes. I CAN'T understand why they don't simply splice the Versys motor into the KLR frame. So many people have done it: it's not rocket science. The engine is smog-certified, the frame can handle the extra power, the bike has SUCH a following...... it's such an easy way to compete with the other twin dualsports in the marketplace. Don't tell me they couldn't bring it to the floor for less than $7k.... I won't believe it. They crank these engines out by the thousands in Thailand. You'd think the KHI engineers would see the possibilities. These guys are not stupid, yet they won't compete in the fastest growing niche of the marketplace. What am I missing ?
Outwardbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Sig_Sour's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 444
I don't think the KLR frame should try to handle a v-twin offroad. It has been done but I think if those custom builds were beaten on substantially offroad we'd see frame failures. No doubt the frame is strong but it's not square tubing or a trellis and the metal is pretty cheap like most of the metal on the KLR650 (speaking as a former owner). From what I remember of the custom KLR v-twin builds, frame modification was required to fit the transplant engines and that approach rarely yields a frame that is stronger than one made for the engine from scratch. I'd also think a more rigid swingarm would be in order to handle the power of a v-twin.

Kawasaki will only change the KLR when it makes financial sense to them. They won't replace the KLR with a v-twin ADV/DS any time soon because the KLR as it stands today is a success and they don't want to fix what isn't broken. To discontinue the KLR650 thumper and replace it with something else (even if all they did was make it a v-twin) would be a substantial gamble.

The KLR is the economy DS option and even to keep the single but to update it with FI, weight loss, and modern suspension would render it the economy DS option no longer, again tampering with success. That's why we see "new comfortable seat" as the headline for the new MY.

Big Green changed the look of KLR650 from a overweight dual sport to a underpowered ADV bike over one single model year while all functional aspects of the bike remained essentially the same. It's a shame that all that plastic on the second generation is a waste unless you do most what the bike is worst at IMO and buzz away on high speed pavement (I've never understood wind protection outside of highway riding 65 MPH +). Either way the plastic is useless when you pack it up in your panniers after busting it all over the dirt. What's sad is the looks sell even though the corresponding functionality (the power of a true ADV bike) is not there. Don't get me wrong I'd love another KLR650 but it's more of a day ride dual sport to me when bikes like the Super Tenere can be had which are just as bulletproof and low maintenance. I think between the S10 and the WR250R, the KLR650 is obsolete as an old-tech Japanese dual sport. For the longest time nothing could really approach the KLR's reliability and low maintenance, but now Yamaha has showed us comparable reliability and maintenance is those two bikes which both overlap and expand on the KLR's abilities while maintaining the quality of function we expect from Japan. Either Yamaha can do the kind of riding most KLR owners end up doing (low tech dual sport riding=dirt roads), but the KLR can't handle the offroad the WR250R can or match the power and comfort on the street the S10 delivers.
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 19,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound View Post
Kawasaki is fond of 'parts bin' bikes. I CAN'T understand why they don't simply splice the Versys motor into the KLR frame. So many people have done it: it's not rocket science. The engine is smog-certified, the frame can handle the extra power, the bike has SUCH a following...... it's such an easy way to compete with the other twin dualsports in the marketplace. Don't tell me they couldn't bring it to the floor for less than $7k.... I won't believe it. They crank these engines out by the thousands in Thailand. You'd think the KHI engineers would see the possibilities. These guys are not stupid, yet they won't compete in the fastest growing niche of the marketplace. What am I missing ?
Hell people have wondered from day 1 of the Versys why Kawi put that motor into an ADV/DS, especially after BMW released the 800GS. Inline twins are the rage these days for those kinda bikes. Yamaha is the only Japanese mfg really trying in that segment.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
NM map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 19,396
Your right the the KLR has a huge history and following to radically change it. No way it's ever going away. You're also right they will not change the bike until they have to, but I believe it will not be a financial decision but rather an out-side from them emissions decision. At some point they can not keep that carb engine in their line up with the number of bikes they sell and achieve the proper corporate average. They will be forced to FI it or drop it.

There are realistically only a few more years (2-4 would be my guess) left before every bike is FI. The US will keep requiring cleaner and cleaner emission standards to the point that any carb bike left in the lineup will screw up the corporate average downwards; so it's either drop it or update it. Europe goes to Euro 4 in 2016 and Euro 5 in 2020. Don't expect the US EPA to just sit by. Likewise you can be guaranteed all the mfg as secretly developing new or updated motors behind closed doors so they are ready when need be. R&D is not an overnight thing, but rather many years out.

I'd venture to say this is the final revision of the KLR in this form.

The Versys motor engine bike would be a different model, not replace the KLR. It would compete with the Vstrom which is hardly new and seems to sell more than 1 a year so I think the segment is solid

Kawi is not new by any means to building inline twin ADV bikes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_KLE500
so i don't get what their problem is with competing in the segment?

The Weber's sure like the 500 twin...so imagine a 650 twin
http://www.rallytwin.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig_Sour View Post
I don't think the KLR frame should try to handle a v-twin offroad. It has been done but I think if those custom builds were beaten on substantially offroad we'd see frame failures. No doubt the frame is strong but it's not square tubing or a trellis and the metal is pretty cheap like most of the metal on the KLR650 (speaking as a former owner). From what I remember of the custom KLR v-twin builds, frame modification was required to fit the transplant engines and that approach rarely yields a frame that is stronger than one made for the engine from scratch. I'd also think a more rigid swingarm would be in order to handle the power of a v-twin.

Kawasaki will only change the KLR when it makes financial sense to them. They won't replace the KLR with a v-twin ADV/DS any time soon because the KLR as it stands today is a success and they don't want to fix what isn't broken. To discontinue the KLR650 thumper and replace it with something else (even if all they did was make it a v-twin) would be a substantial gamble.

The KLR is the economy DS option and even to keep the single but to update it with FI, weight loss, and modern suspension would render it the economy DS option no longer, again tampering with success. That's why we see "new comfortable seat" as the headline for the new MY.

Big Green changed the look of KLR650 from a overweight dual sport to a underpowered ADV bike over one single model year while all functional aspects of the bike remained essentially the same. It's a shame that all that plastic on the second generation is a waste unless you do most what the bike is worst at IMO and buzz away on high speed pavement (I've never understood wind protection outside of highway riding 65 MPH +). Either way the plastic is useless when you pack it up in your panniers after busting it all over the dirt. What's sad is the looks sell even though the corresponding functionality (the power of a true ADV bike) is not there. Don't get me wrong I'd love another KLR650 but it's more of a day ride dual sport to me when bikes like the Super Tenere can be had which are just as bulletproof and low maintenance. I think between the S10 and the WR250R, the KLR650 is obsolete as an old-tech Japanese dual sport. For the longest time nothing could really approach the KLR's reliability and low maintenance, but now Yamaha has showed us comparable reliability and maintenance is those two bikes which both overlap and expand on the KLR's abilities while maintaining the quality of function we expect from Japan. Either Yamaha can do the kind of riding most KLR owners end up doing (low tech dual sport riding=dirt roads), but the KLR can't handle the offroad the WR250R can or match the power and comfort on the street the S10 delivers.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
NM map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 12-13-2013 at 10:47 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #10
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer
 
mxbundy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Hemet Ca.
Oddometer: 958
Rallytwin?

That is a promising looking bike.......Really!!
I would be interested in one..........but $68,000, the guy is on crack!
__________________
The 80`s..........ah yes...back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.
 
The_Precious_Juice's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Roanoke Valley, Virginia
Oddometer: 2,163
Thanks for posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dawg6 View Post
Fellas, just got the email announcement that they are making some changes to the 2014 KLR 650:

http://www.kawasaki.com/NPL/Default....-LeftRailPromo

hope the link works. Anyway, stiffer suspension, and redesigned the seat. with the narrow seat, i might actually be able to swing a leg over and mount this one. about the most interested i've been in a new bike since i started riding 4 yrs ago.

thoughts?
Wow, it looks like there is a 2014 standard and a 2014 New Edition.
It appears that it's just a improved suspension and seat, and a differnt pant scheme with maybe some other stuff.

I had no clue about a new edition. Man, these guys do keep things on the down low.
Here is a video with no views on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s67aRb9K3bQ

Looks like we got KLR650 version 2.1

We are looking for version 3.0.

I'd say 100lbs loss of weight is KTM country, and asking too much.

I'd keep the horse power, just go F.I. and air cooled and make the frame light enough to be just under 400lbs topped off with current tank, improve suspension, fix the doh and thermo-bob, add $2,000 to MSRP.
It would be like having the 1st generation upgraded the way it should have been.

Until then, the DR650 is the better choice if you are wanting to go off the well packed forest roads.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer
 
Murphy Slaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
the DR650 is the better choice .

That didn't take long......

__________________
The Murph Channel
Acoustic Originals and some Double Aught

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #13
todd900ss
Gnarly Adventurer
 
todd900ss's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Oddometer: 375
The title sucked me in but same ol' same from the Japanese. Let's hope Yamaha has something new for us in the next year.
todd900ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.
 
The_Precious_Juice's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Roanoke Valley, Virginia
Oddometer: 2,163
Laugh Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
That didn't take long......

And I've never owned or ridden one.

Hell, in another thread I totally just tried to sale a Mighty DR to a person who started a thread with their first post.

It really is a great 50/50 dualsport.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.
 
The_Precious_Juice's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Roanoke Valley, Virginia
Oddometer: 2,163
So you're telling me there's a chance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd900ss View Post
The title sucked me in but same ol' same from the Japanese. Let's hope Yamaha has something new for us in the next year.
With the way these companys keep things on the down low, it would be a great surprise, and welcome.

Here's to ignorance being bliss...
Until the first week of January. After that it's go time for a MC.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015