ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
asking big favour from someone in Arizona (outside Phoenix)

Hey Guys

Do not know if anyone can help me.

I have been refused entry into Mexico from Guatemala as my registration has expired on my Colorado plated bike. I have been on the bike for 9 months and cover 16,000 miles from Ushuaia and encountered every single possible challenge you can imagine. Giving up so close to the finish line is not an option - please help.

My two solutions:

1) - I hitch-hike/bus across Mexico to Tuscon (or other town in Arizona) where i can title,plate and register the bike without the bike needing to be there (confirmed this morning by the MVD). Then take a bus back to Guatemala and then ride my biek to Arizona. I can only do this outside of Phoenix as an emmissions test is needed there and thus the bike must be present.

The favour: I would also need an address to be used for the titling process. Is there anyone who would be happy to let me use their address. It would only be for about a month. I am planning to cross Mexico very quickly and then sell the bike in Arizona in about a month.

2) Exactly the same process but if I can find an incredibly generous sole in Arizona who is happy to do the titling and registering process for me I can obtain a Power Of Attorney and then DHL this with all my documents to said person who will then be able to title the bike for me and then DHL the plates and paperwork back to me. I would pay for all DHL costs in advance and then paypal the costs of titling - I have just spoken with someone at MVD who thinks this would be $50 at most.

If anyone can help with either proposals please PM me.

Hope you can help

Duncan

mfbx8ds6 screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 10:20 AM
mfbx8ds6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,955
Wish I could help

Always happy to help a fellow rider but don,t have an address out of the Phoenix area. I am sure someone will step up, maybe one of the guys in Prescott....
Reidy008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
sonoran
bruh

Oddometer: 21,863
Not sure it possible to register an out of state bike in AZ without a physical inspection.

Then again I too am in Phoenix so it might be different outside of Maricopa County.

Can't you just pay the Colorado renewal and have them send you the sticker?
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,103
I believe out of state requires a level 1 inspection which I think just involves a VIN check. That being said I registered a 07 CBR600RR from CA at one of the farmed out private offices and they never looked at the bike. Miss that bike.

OP, just curious but what's preventing you from renewing your CO registration and having someone send that to you?

swimmer screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 02:08 PM
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
terb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Arizona stopped out of state inspections over a year ago!!..
terb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Im in Flagstaff with time to spare. PM me with the info i need!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
I'm in Bisbee, if Casejeep can't help then shoot me a PM and I'll do it.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbonian View Post
I'm in Bisbee, if Casejeep can't help then shoot me a PM and I'll do it.
thanks for the offer man - think casejeep is going to see what he can do.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
750Volts!
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
Hey buddy,
Here is a useful link for you:
https://www.colorado.gov/apps/dor/dm...al/welcome.jsf

They also allow you to change your address online as well. This will enable you to send your registration to any person you have ever known in your years in Colorado, maybe even the whole U.S. They can in turn DHL it to you in Guatemala.
The really nice thing about Colorado is that motorcycles are exempt from emissions!
http://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/motor...gistration.php
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,860
Before everyone jumps in to help, be aware that the OP doesn't even own the bike. The title is actually in the name of another inmate who I believe resides in England. Also, this is nothing new to the OP. He has had trouble crossing other borders.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....76&postcount=1

It's just a can of worms...
Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
750Volts!
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
After reading some of his other posts it doesn't seem as fishy. It seems as though he didn't put alot of thought into the registration etc. Here is the post that makes it more clear:
OK - i should probably give the full details of my predicament

- I am an Englishman with an English motorbike license
- I bought a KLR650 off another Englishman in Chile last april and have ridden it up to the Guatamala/Mexico border
- He had bought the bike and registered it in Colorado and then ridden it down to Chile - it still has the colorado number plates
- It was impossible to transfer the title papers so we obtained a power of attorney which is what I have used for all my border crossings - the bike is still in his name.
- The tags have expired
- I do not have an american license or know anybody with an american address

I have been doing all my research regarding whether or not i will be abel to get the bike into the States - it never occured to me that I needed up to date registration to get it into Mexico - and to be fair I cannot find a single forum that states registration papers are needed - only the "title document OR the registration papers" are required - and I have never been asked for registration papers before.

yesterday i got refused entry into Mexico - she asked to see the registration papers - i refused - we argued and eventually i showed them - they were out of date and this is why my entry was refused

I am still in very good contact with the previos owner but he is in England.

We cannot renew the registration online as the expiration date is over a month old.

Was looking into getting the 30 day permit but will this not be possible?

If anyone has any solutions im all ears - conmsidering all avenues.

NB - they have a record of when the previous owner entered it so forging documents may be unwise as they will have records and maybe even photocopies of all the documents.

Can somebody else renew the registration and send the documents down to me?

There are many people that would like to help you out here bud. I think that you should be able to resolve this in one:

First have the guy that you bought the bike from go through a 3rd party registration business. They should be able to register the bike in his name. He will need to send them a power of attorney at the least. Then you will have to wait for the registration, but at least you will have one and be able to continue.

Secondly if the original owner is back in the UK he should be able to get some temporary registration of some kind there and send it. That will take a little time back and forth with paper.

Thirdly you might try going to a dealer in Guatemala and asking if they can help you. If you have a power of attorney they should be able to buy it from you, register it, and then sell it back to you. They might want a couple hundred Pesos, but it may be quickest and cheapest.

Fourthly if you bought this honestly and all is kosher the original owner should know a person or two from where he was staying in Colorado that could help out. That is unless he bought it from someone else along the way...
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
Before everyone jumps in to help, be aware that the OP doesn't even own the bike. The title is actually in the name of another inmate who I believe resides in England. Also, this is nothing new to the OP. He has had trouble crossing other borders.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....76&postcount=1

It's just a can of worms...
On my trip I regularly come across people that are not interested in trying to help me - that is fine. But i can safely say that you are the first perosn in 10 months that has actually gone out of their way to try and impede the progress of my journey. I am genuinely shocked you would actually go out of your way to try and dissuade generous and helpful people from trying to help me.

That you should do so on a thread where every single other person is either offering helpful advice or even offering to take a couple of hours out of their day to go down to the local motor vehicles offices speaks volumes about your character. Take a look in the mirror mate - you are part of one the greatest, most generous, most friendly and most helppful communities in the world and you just tried to stop people from helping somebody finish an 8 month, 20,000 mile motorbike journey.

Yes I am having problems but as 750 Volts has clearly pointed out at no point am I trying to be deceiptful. I have given all the facts and with all the given information people have still agreed to help me. Just becasue YOU do not have the good grace to help me does not give you the right to tell others they can not.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Hey buddy,
Here is a useful link for you:
https://www.colorado.gov/apps/dor/dm...al/welcome.jsf

They also allow you to change your address online as well. This will enable you to send your registration to any person you have ever known in your years in Colorado, maybe even the whole U.S. They can in turn DHL it to you in Guatemala.
The really nice thing about Colorado is that motorcycles are exempt from emissions!
http://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/motor...gistration.php
Thanks very much for the help 750 - had some very useful points - am very close to solving this problem but will definately take on board some of your suggestions if i hit a dead end.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbx8ds6 View Post
Just becasue YOU do not have the good grace to help me does not give you the right to tell others they can not.
Dave does not need my defence, but this whole thing smacks a little of "I am a Nigerian prince and have come into many dollars". Our Tucsonian friend can't say to anyone here ̲n̲o̲t̲ to do anything, he's just urging caution.

Good luck in your travels...
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Dave does not need my defence, but this whole thing smacks a little of "I am a Nigerian prince and have come into many dollars". Our Tucsonian friend can't say to anyone here ̲n̲o̲t̲ to do anything, he's just urging caution.

Good luck in your travels...
Hah, Chris - I fear you are a dangerously wise man - your words have more truth than you probably imagined - it would appear that maybe I am the one who should look in the mirror. I fear you may have put me in my place. Would be very keen to buy you a beer when/if I get to Arizona.

Apologies to Dave for coming on the attack but I have now been stuck in Guatemala for three weeks, the last 5 days being spent sat in my hostel, eating the same meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner (4 bread rolls, a packet of crisps and two bananas). I hope you can understand that when I read your comment it felt like I was being kicked when I was down - i may have over reacted slightly - as I read my words back I sound like a bit of a tit.