User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,479
2009 Aprilia SR50 R Factory

So, as mentioned in a few other threads, this is the bike I purchased January 12 with 58 miles on the dash.

Haven't got very many miles on it since the place where I reside does not have a garage so I am looking for a place before hitting the streets and really using it.

Just a few observations with what is basically a brand new bike with a few scratches from being stored for travel while the PO used it as an AMA pit bike.

Quality has been slathered all over the machine. From the high quality plastics and paint to the switch gear and even the seat cover material, it all constantly reminds you that this isn't a triple figure scooter from a Craigslist ad.

Even the ride is smooth, unlike any other stock scooter I have ridden and the handling is very stable and nothing like the darty, slapped together and hope it works, mainland China specials. You know, the ones that lower their brow and look away at the slightest hint of the word 'geometry'.

Today was my third ride on the bike and it was not wanting to wake up from the few days of very cold slumber. I place no blame on the bike. I haven't wanted to get up and out either in the sub-freezing weather.

After cranking it over for a while she finally lit up and settled into a nice idle and a few minutes were provided for warm up. While building some heat there was some condensation coming from the exhaust so I am glad to have gotten over to blow that out of the system.

The dash is a unique feature having the fuel gauge, water temp, dual trip meters, and a slew of options in the menu. I dig the orange color even though it reminds me of BMW auto infotainment.

With regards to performance, and this being the second scooter I have ever had from close to new, this machine is still fun even though you have to keep the throttle to half way for the first 312 miles. I mean, it will still get up to 35 to 40mph with about half throttle so the break will not be painful!

With my Genuine Rattler 50 I gave up on the break in and just rode how I wanted and used high quality 2t oil. Of course, after I received my Rattler back from the first service the bike never had the power it did before I took it in(maybe Vegas Motorsports switched my engine for a used poor running unit while they were bending my rear wheel in the bike stand clamp?)

Also found a missing screw which I reinstalled and picked up a new brake light as the stocker blew the running light filament. Now all is well and I can continue to break in the bike and enjoy it's stellar performance and quality.

Also of note would be the brakes. Front and rear discs, hydraulic, and lovely to orchestrate. Most scooters up to 200cc have a drum rear brake which I have always hated the feel of(cable operated). These feel nice and taut with linear progression and good power. They give a feeling of being both confident and refined.

If you are thinking of getting one and want superior performance to any 4t 50cc or any 50cc 2t for that matter, I wouldn't hesitate. The bike really is that good! Also it seems to sip gas whether the throttle is pinned or half open(i have been staying at half mostly but do some full throttle runs just to vary things) and that oil jug is being sipped through the smallest of straws as I haven't seen it move yet. Also can't smell a whole lot from the exhaust so it definitely burns clean compared to the other 2t I had so no complaints there.

I will put in the pictures that I have scattered on other threads just for good measure.

Oh, and this is being kept completely stock, despite a high ceiling of tuning potential.

One last bit, the lights are phenomenal!
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Very nice scooter. Just some questions though. How fast will one of these top out at and can we get a picture of the instrument cluster?
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Bitchin cool looking scooter!
Nihon Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
tbonestone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Stock once it's broken in you should see about 50 indicated. Interesting factoid, the engine management has a fun feature. Find someone with an old school game boy and the correct cable and you can unlock" dealer test mode" it's fun and adds a little more snap to the ride without the expense of parts and labor.
tbonestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineSkate View Post
Very nice scooter. Just some questions though. How fast will one of these top out at and can we get a picture of the instrument cluster?
Once broken in and derestriced they are a 50mph scooter. As of right now the most I have seen was 49mph indicated which is 45'ish mph actual.

Clip on bars too. For a scooter!

I am going to snag a google image of gauges since the bike is on the other side of town.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,795
Nice looking scooter. It looks like it's a blast to ride.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonestone View Post
Stock once it's broken in you should see about 50 indicated. Interesting factoid, the engine management has a fun feature. Find someone with an old school game boy and the correct cable and you can unlock" dealer test mode" it's fun and adds a little more snap to the ride without the expense of parts and labor.
I think I will remove the variator ring and leave it at that. Tempted to add a pipe and do the ECU map but leaving it stock is more appealing at this point.

Well, unless someone comes out with a pipe quieter than stock, is corrosion proof, does not need to be repacked and weighs less while accentuating the stock power curve.

Fat chance of that ever happening.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
tbonestone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
I think I will remove the variator ring and leave it at that. Tempted to add a pipe and do the ECU map but leaving it stock is more appealing at this point.

Well, unless someone comes out with a pipe quieter than stock, is corrosion proof, does not need to be repacked and weighs less while accentuating the stock power curve.

Fat chance of that ever happening.

You're a better person than I am. I can't seem to leave anything alone. Rock on with the Sr it's one amazing ride
tbonestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Sweet looking scoot. I prefer to leave scooters stock for reliability, and get a bigger one if I need more speed. To each their own though. I notice it has the same ugly looking (to me) ducktail rear fender as the Zuma 125. Mine still has it, it is not easy to remove, it holds part of the rear bodywork together. I really hate to take a hacksaw to it, as I can't find out what a new one costs. Have fun with the new toy.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonestone View Post
You're a better person than I am. I can't seem to leave anything alone. Rock on with the Sr it's one amazing ride
The temptation is there as I am a tinkerer myself and supposedly the Leo Vince ZX-R pipe and rollers adds 5 to 6 mph or better to the top end but it already runs so good and handles well enough that adding another 10mph to the top speed is just going to get me into trouble and that I don't want.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Sweet looking scoot. I prefer to leave scooters stock for reliability, and get a bigger one if I need more speed. To each their own though. I notice it has the same ugly looking (to me) ducktail rear fender as the Zuma 125. Mine still has it, it is not easy to remove, it holds part of the rear bodywork together. I really hate to take a hacksaw to it, as I can't find out what a new one costs. Have fun with the new toy.
Yup, she has a tail for sure. After years in the MC industry it finally dawned on me this stuff was designed for a purpose. Keeping the tail! lol
Old 01-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
greg531
greg531

Oddometer: 30
We have a couple of SR50's in our club, one that had a 70cc kit, and it went 70 mph!, This winter, he is putting on a 95cc kit on!
No variator spacers in USA models....just game boy the computer to go to test mode....
A aftermarket pipe, some Dr. Pulley sliders, and you should be up to 55 mph, with the 50cc engine.....
A good forum for aprilia's are at AF1 Aprilia forum, with a active sub-forum there......
greg531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg531 View Post
We have a couple of SR50's in our club, one that had a 70cc kit, and it went 70 mph!, This winter, he is putting on a 95cc kit on!
No variator spacers in USA models....just game boy the computer to go to test mode....
A aftermarket pipe, some Dr. Pulley sliders, and you should be up to 55 mph, with the 50cc engine.....
A good forum for aprilia's are at AF1 Aprilia forum, with a active sub-forum there......
I am on that forum already. Been reading for the past couple of weeks when I saw the bike pop up for sale.

That being the case, with variator, I will just leave the bike as is.

Have to see how long until the itch needs to be scratched!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Just an update. I rode this thing across town a little while ago. 36 miles. Odometer is dead on accurate. Have not checked speedo yet.

It is nice being able to accelerate up a hill from 30 to 40mph indicated.

My Genuine Rattler 50 would not do this.

Everything is smooth and the brakes and traction are excellent. Brakes are a true "1 finger" affair.

I thought the odometer was way off because the mileage was going up so quickly.

Not sure if I will keep or sell the bike as it is truly a gem as far as scoots go and it could be operated for little to nothing.

Can't say how much fun this thing is. It is hilarious!

Also, the thermometer has yet to go off of the first block on the digital gauge and as described earlier, the break in of limited throttle still nets 30 to 40mph at half throttle so it is fun while still going slow.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
kiznile
Scooter Commuter

Oddometer: 59
I looked at these before buying my Scarabeo 200..I was talked out of the SR50 as soon as I said I planned to drive 40 miles a day on it.. obviously settled on aprilia for the same quality bits! :)
kiznile is offline   Reply With Quote