Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #61
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,302
Looks like we might have some real road racers. Good for them. Ride hard. ;)

I ride pretty hard on the street (old Ducati guy) and have been known to burn the edges pretty good on tourances and anakees on the Big Ugly. Never felt numb or greasy to me and I certainly didn't get better feel from the Bridgestones. In fact I felt the Bridgestones (edit: TW152 rears) were inferior everywhere to Tourances or Anakee2's. JMO.

But I'm just another data point.

Edit: Just realized I have never tried a Battlewing on the rear and not sure on the front. Too streety for me. I have run 2 Bridgestone Trailwing TW 152's on the rear and bought whatever Bridgestone front matches those. Got a leftover front somewhere I never put on. I will check.

lol Further edit cuz apparently I can't remember shit: Nope. Never tried a Battlewing front either. Front was a TW101.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 12:52 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #62
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post

I ride pretty hard on the street (old Ducati guy) and have been known to burn the edges pretty good on tourances and anakees on the Big Ugly. Never felt numb or greasy to me and I certainly didn't get better feel from the Bridgestones. In fact I felt the Bridgestones (edit: TW152 rears) were inferior everywhere to Tourances or Anakee2's. JMO.

Edit: Just realized I have never tried a Battlewing on the rear and not sure on the front. Too streety for me. I have run 2 Bridgestone Trailwing TW 152's on the rear and bought whatever Bridgestone front matches those. Got a leftover front somewhere I never put on. I will check.

lol Further edit cuz apparently I can't remember shit: Nope. Never tried a Battlewing front either. Front was a TW101.

TW's are not the same as the BW's Do they have twisty roads in, Texas
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #63
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplicity View Post
Do they have twisty roads in, Texas

Only 3

http://motorcycleroads.com/75/555/Te...5-336337a.html
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #64
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,302
Come visit. I'll show y'all around. You can bring your street tires. ;)

I don't usually get any complaints about boring roads after a ride but they just ain't as easy to find as in Arky-saw. Local knowledge is key.

And we gotta remember, I'm just a slowoldguy. Y'all wait for me at the intersections. ;)

slowoldguy screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 06:49 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #65
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by aGremlin View Post
Blow me down with a feather... somehow 2-3 sets of the new A3 slipped into the country (we never get tyres this soon after release).

I'll guess we'll see how it bites in the gravel... the centre of the rear has a lot of the grooves meeting each other, so it should actually be quite good!

Looking forward to your review of the A3's. Looking to put a new set of skins on the GS and was considering the A2's but now I'll wait I Don't ride much off road just some gravel roads now and then on the piggy so not looking for another set of TKC's which is currently on the bike. Been setting her up for a two up, back road sport tourer with gravel capability.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 08:11 AM
MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #66
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post

If you want to replace your Trailwing rear every 3200 miles, they are ok. My TW152 showed cords at that mileage!
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #67
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 733

http://dbrentmiller.com/2013/01/test...e-tire-part-1/
Old 01-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #68
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,125
My set should be here in a couple days, but it will take a while for a review, it has been in the teens all week, and there is enough salt on the roads to supply micky-dee's for a decade. But I should have a good review by the first week of May.

I am heading to the Smokey's where I have polished off a new set of tires in as little as 3 days, and 1100 miles, and at most 2700 miles on my R1100S. Now with a new to me F800GS waiting patiently until spring, I will be curious how they stick, and how they run a bunch of small dirt roads in the smokey's.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #69
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by BordenBmw View Post

looks like a good start...........

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #70
bone13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Anyone gotten into some dirt-n-gravel/mud on these yet?
Seeing some good street reviews on em, but I do a fair amount of offroad with my 1150, so I'm really curious how they go when the pavement ends....

www.ridgerunneradventures.com
bone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #71
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
any chance they will be releasing this tire in an 18" rear?
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #72
ADVMAC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #73
skidlid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Can't tell you what kind of mileage these things are gonna be good for, however I did put a set on my 1200 Adventure and they ride very well. Quiet, no vibration, turn in nicely and even with all the gravel and salt on the roads here in the mountains of N. Carolina, they never broke loose.With that in mind, I do however think that when it gets gnarly, these aren't going to be different than any other DS tire that isn't a TKC or Karoo.
skidlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #74
KTM950 Gatineau
Got-to-know

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlid View Post
Can't tell you what kind of mileage these things are gonna be good for, however I did put a set on my 1200 Adventure and they ride very well. Quiet, no vibration, turn in nicely and even with all the gravel and salt on the roads here in the mountains of N. Carolina, they never broke loose.With that in mind, I do however think that when it gets gnarly, these aren't going to be different than any other DS tire that isn't a TKC or Karoo.
spot on... getting mine installed this week however won't be riding for another month with all the snow we've got. They can't be worse than the Tourance EXP after 15000km. I do gravel roads some but mostly winding potholed roads. I was looking for a quiet tire that will give good mileage.
KTM950 Gatineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #75
PanhandleChuck
3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer: 268
I'm having A3's put on next Friday. I've ran a set of OEM Tourance EXP's, Tourance, Anakee 2's, and soon A3's. I had originally planned RP3 Trails, but I currently have 10.5K on the A2's of hard, hot, slab and twisty riding over 9 months. The A2's certainly provided the best wear, the EXP's more sticky with the least wear, and the Tourance about 8K. The Tourance's slipped once on a routine traffic turn on wet pavement, causing the Anakee 2 choice. I have no complaints with the A2, it will stand up to foot and metal dragging in mountain twisty's . Yea, not many off road adventures, need gripping confidence on wet and dry, decent wear, and comfort over 12 hour riding days.
PanhandleChuck is offline   Reply With Quote