ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
ph0rk OP
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,046
Moving to the Bay Area from NC (maybe)

So, I might have a ~2 year gig in the Bay Area (near Cal). If I take it, I'll need to move over there pronto. I've spent most of my life in North Carolina where the roads are already great and motorcycle theft is something that happens to other people - I really don't know jack about the area. I moto commute 365 days a year - is there anything critical I should know about moving to Berkeley in specific or California in general? Is a garage and a lock critical?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
Dick
Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer: 31,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
So, I might have a ~2 year gig in the Bay Area (near Cal). If I take it, I'll need to move over there pronto. I've spent most of my life in North Carolina where the roads are already great and motorcycle theft is something that happens to other people - I really don't know jack about the area. I moto commute 365 days a year - is there anything critical I should know about moving to Berkeley in specific or California in general? Is a garage and a lock critical?
You can split lanes and a garage is great for peace of mind. I lived in SF for almost 5 years and always put the bike(s) in the garage.
Originally Posted by turkish
Einstein knew more about physics than the Pope knows about God.
Save some bux - use my Smugmug referral code: mIRMxjzAScHII
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
I'll give you the obligatory "Don't do it!" Now that's done , yes-Lock everything up. Garage it. It's not just Berkeley but most of California. I've lived here all my life and can tell you, don't turn your back on anything even for five minutes if you want to keep it. Theft is not rampant but you just never know when it will strike.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum

(Are you understanding now!?)
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,408
There are a lot of better choices of nearby towns to live in than right in Berkeley (in my opinion).

Look at some of the East Bay towns along 680, like Danville, San Ramon, Dublin, Pleasanton, or even Livermore. Much less theft issues over there.

From the towns further south, you would even have a nice twisty road commute. http://goo.gl/maps/sBIrg (You could take Crow Canyon from Danville or San Ramon).
Old 09-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
ph0rk OP
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,046
All, thanks for the replies. As for "not doing it" I don't really have much choice given my chosen career, besides, what's significant debt and reduced lifetime earnings in the long run? Oh...

I'll definitely check out all the neighborhoods mentioned - the number of choices is causing some decision paralysis - I'm used to one or at most two viable neighborhoods to choose from. I'll spring for a garage, too, if I can get it.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
sonarman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
What city are you actually going to be working in?