User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
T0mW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Possible GS Purchase -advice needed

I am going to look at a 2006 R1200GS which is located a few miles away from me. He is asking $9500 for it, but am hoping he is willing to negotiate.
Supposed to have 22k miles on it, purchased from his brother, who was original owner.
All work is supposed to have been performed by local BMW dealer (Hermy's) where bike was purchased.
non abs no heated grips looks pretty much stock
said his brother "let it run too long in garage to try & keep battery charged & the motor got hot, but didnt have any problems with it"
compression is supposed to be 180
said "no leaks & doesnt use oil"
also said "valves were just adjusted too"

anything specific I should look for ?
anything I should specifically look at ?
T0mW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
fabiox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
GS 1150 is best

buy a R1150GS 2002 the best year and cheaper

fabiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Ever since I owned an ABS bike, I would not get another one that does not have ABS... For 9k, you should find a very nice 1150 gs/gsa with ABS and lots of aftermarket accessories on it.

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,506
Keep looking. Check Flea Market.

Fully loaded ones come up a lot with good prices. The overheat may be nothing or could have done damage.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
RTCHIEF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Gs

Have the dealer run the VIN

NO ABS, that's OK if you plan to keep the bike.

If you ever plan to sell the bike or trade it**************don't walk away from it, RUN

If the VIN says it had ABS on it and it was removed, then it is essentially a parts bike as far as the price goes.

Jon
RTCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
T0mW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
I have been checking the flea market regularly, as well as inventory of several dealers.
A little cold for a fly & ride right now. I am getting older & dont like the cold anymore, even with heated gear.
The price seemed high, but I figured it is within 10 miles of me, & wanted to at least check it out, but wanted to know what to keep an eye out for.
T0mW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,964
I think the price is high. I bought my 2005 R1200 GS with 17K miles on it for $10,000 in June, 2008. It was absolutely loaded with extras too.
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0mW View Post
I am going to look at a 2006 R1200GS which is located a few miles away from me. He is asking $9500 for it, but am hoping he is willing to negotiate.
Supposed to have 22k miles on it, purchased from his brother, who was original owner.
All work is supposed to have been performed by local BMW dealer (Hermy's) where bike was purchased.
non abs no heated grips looks pretty much stock
said his brother "let it run too long in garage to try & keep battery charged & the motor got hot, but didnt have any problems with it"
compression is supposed to be 180
said "no leaks & doesnt use oil"
also said "valves were just adjusted too"

anything specific I should look for ?
anything I should specifically look at ?
RUN. No ABS is not really that bad, no heated grips suck, but can be fixed. BUT, let it run too long and it got hot is a scarey potential issue, especially for that much money on a 2006 standard GS. The price should be about $7500 max, unless it has a lot of desireable accessories, which you didn't mention. Add the overheated, most likely, motor, and I say the price is way too high.

There are plenty of 05-06 bikes out there nicely appointed for that kind of money or less.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
RUN. No ABS is not really that bad, no heated grips suck, but can be fixed. BUT, let it run too long and it got hot is a scarey potential issue, especially for that much money on a 2006 standard GS. The price should be about $7500 max, unless it has a lot of desireable accessories, which you didn't mention. Add the overheated, most likely, motor, and I say the price is way too high.

There are plenty of 05-06 bikes out there nicely appointed for that kind of money or less.

Jim
I agree with Jimbo here. Price varies by geography; where I live, $8-$9k wouldn't be out of the question, if there was a very limited market. Farkles may or may not add to the value, but it will definitely get the bike sold quicker.

Letting the engine run too long and getting "hot" is probably bad. If someone is willing to admit that it happened, it was probably much worse than you were lead to believe. That said, many GS owners have left the bike idle for a long time (me included--to the point where the headers were glowing a very dark red at night) and have had no problems (including me). Perhaps use this as a bargaining chip to get it for $6k?
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 917
keep looking

For me ABS was one of the main points when I bought my BMW. The first time you get cut off by some left-turning homicidal idiot really underlines that point.
Even if you don't want ABS (and you should have really good reasons for that, not just some vague 'I want to be in control' feeling), this one seems expensive.
Now is probably a good time to buy; I wore a combination of bike, ski and rain gear when I picked up mine, and that was in March, IIRC. You still might need frequent stops to warm up.

If you really want this one (but why?), I'd ask (and maybe get in writing; but would that really help?) whether it seized when overheating. 'Compression is 180' (which means 12:1, I assume) is not enough.

Gruesome screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 10:04 PM
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruesome View Post
For me ABS was one of the main points when I bought my BMW. Even if you don't want ABS (and you should have really good reasons for that, not just some vague 'I want to be in control' feeling), this one seems expensive.
Now is probably a good time to buy; I wore a combination of bike, ski and rain gear when I picked up mine, and that was in March, IIRC. You still might need frequent stops to warm up.
I forgot to mention this. ABS has saved my ass at least twice. Switchable ABS is fantastic.
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:09 AM   #12
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,337
I like ABS a lot but it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker.

But letting it overheat in the garage? Blech. I'd move on.

Anyone with knowledge of hex-heads/oil heads knows it doesn't take long for the motor to run dangerously hot simply by idling in a garage without a fan putting air across the motor. Anyone who has performed a throttle body sync knows this.

I'd follow Jim's advice, and keep looking.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #13
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,833
I sold my 06 GS in September for $9500.00. Mine had complete Jessie luggage, give screen, crash bars, lots of extras. It was abs in fact it was fairly loaded from factory, and had less then 5000 miles. I bought it in December of 2011 to replace my 1150, but really wanted a GSA so I road it for a few months, farkled it and sold it to buy my 08 GSA.

Nothing wrong with the 06s. I wouldn't want abs on the 06 anyway, because the Servo brakes get pricy if they fail. My .02 is this. Nice bike, though the price is a bit high. I'm sure you could find an 07 or newer abs bike for the same price with a little patience. You live in PA it's not like you'll be riding a lot in the next couple months, so wait it out and see what comes up. This bike will likely be around as not a lot of bikes sell in the snow belt this time of year, especially 7 year old bikes. The sellers price will only get better. In 07 the Servo's went bye bye, so an 07 or newer abs model is a much better buy
Wdwrkr is offline   Reply With Quote