Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #16
tommyvdv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda* View Post
Hi, tommyvdv!
How correctly be written here, you have to visit the canyon Verdon, this is absolutely unforgettable place. And Carcassonne castle is very interesting. See my report, there are interesting places that can be useful for your trip. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845000

Julia.
looks like you picked out some wonderful roads through canyon Verdon! well done!
And thanks for the tips guys
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 412
planning a trip through France from Spain

When are you doing this? I'll take a trip from southern Spain through France and Belgium up home in late March, so maybe I can wave at you somewhere ...
I've circumnavigated the Iberian peninsula many many years ago on a bike and also passed through some of the areas described above on another trip. The Massif Central towards the Pyrenees would also be my recommendation, although some parts of the Normandy and Bretagne were quite memorable. Was on Omaha Beach and wondered about all the veterans until I noticed that the date was June 6.

Anyway, I'm watching this thread to get some ideas for my trip, if you don't mind. Any particular nice gravel roads en route?

Pip
Old 02-01-2013, 03:06 AM   #18
tommyvdv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip_muenster View Post
When are you doing this? I'll take a trip from southern Spain through France and Belgium up home in late March, so maybe I can wave at you somewhere ...
I've circumnavigated the Iberian peninsula many many years ago on a bike and also passed through some of the areas described above on another trip. The Massif Central towards the Pyrenees would also be my recommendation, although some parts of the Normandy and Bretagne were quite memorable. Was on Omaha Beach and wondered about all the veterans until I noticed that the date was June 6.

Anyway, I'm watching this thread to get some ideas for my trip, if you don't mind. Any particular nice gravel roads en route?

Pip
We'll try and get to Spain, if that works out, we'll go back home.
One option we have to start our trip home is taking "la route des grandes alpes". The other option is keeping to the west and. If the latter wins it, we'll be going through normandy as well. I've been there a few months ago and agree; it's quite nice.

But i live in Belgium. Normandy is only 500km away; perfect for a short holiday. Lets say it's not at the very top of my priority-list.

About those gravel roads. I'd love to do some light offroading. Or the occasional gravel roads. The downside is that i'll have to leave my partner in crime behind. She does not care much for anything that even remotely looks like offroad in this stage of her experiences. It's her first "big" trip and she'd love to test the water. But i have no idea what the level of confidence will be during/after this trip.

we're thinking June for this trip

( Still trying to find a few back-yards to camp in :) )

Any idea about the camping/bivouac rules in France? Can we set up camp anywhere or are we forced to use campsites?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #19
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post

Any idea about the camping/bivouac rules in France? Can we set up camp anywhere or are we forced to use campsites?
There are some experienced campers here but I'm not one of them so let's hope they come by.

That said, out of curiosity I surfed on the French sites until I was cross-eyed trying to get some definitive info. What I read several times was that there is no legal and specific prohibition per se, but there are other laws that prohibit camping on private land without the owner's permission, camping within 500 meters of listed monuments, eg. chateaux or churches, no leaving trash, etc. So in reality, if would seem that you're restricted but not completely shut out. The word 'discretion' popped up, such as being quiet, out of sight of others, camp late and leave early if it's wild.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
redmurty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Great thread I'm looking to go down to Spain in September for the Spanish HISS. So I am interested in the roads you guys are throwing up cheers Spud
Old 02-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #21
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip_muenster View Post

Pip
Hi Matey,

The lowdown on free camping in Spain is on my blog. OK, it's complicated but that's not my fault - the message is simple really, Be sensible and you won't get a bust'!

Regs

Simon
The Spanish Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #22
tommyvdv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmurty View Post
Great thread I'm looking to go down to Spain in September for the Spanish HISS. So I am interested in the roads you guys are throwing up cheers Spud
Hi there red,
I've placed the following markers: http://goo.gl/maps/YjMFn
The color coding is a bit off… blue markers are places we could visit, eat at, stay at
green are points we'll probably use to make our route
red are things we should see, for instance, gorge du tarn is a red spot
As you can see, we need a lot more red spots :)

I should get some more for the northern part of france and spain.
Not sure we're going to make it all the way across the pyrenees to Urrugne. And i'm not really sure we want to stay on the northern side. From what i've heard, the weather should be better on the southern side.

If you know any interesting POI's on our route (which is roughly depicted here: http://goo.gl/maps/Zv3J2) feel free to let me know. I'm trying to get as many sights and great roads incorporated into our trip. That way we can easily make choices when we're on the road.

Thanks for the insights about camping in spain @thespanishbiker!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #23
Andysr6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
long way round

Hi, how about a nice big loop; head directy south to Lake Geneva and pick up the Route de Grande Alpes (some of the best roads in Europe IMO), head west to Lac de Sainte Croix (great are for camping), further west to the eastern start of the Pyrenees(not the most exciting roads) then follow the Pyrenees, take the suggest route home.
Andysr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 AM   #24
tommyvdv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysr6 View Post
Hi, how about a nice big loop; head directy south to Lake Geneva and pick up the Route de Grande Alpes (some of the best roads in Europe IMO), head west to Lac de Sainte Croix (great are for camping), further west to the eastern start of the Pyrenees(not the most exciting roads) then follow the Pyrenees, take the suggest route home.
Trying to follow your train of thought here.
http://goo.gl/maps/7PtYy

Something like this?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #25
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
Trying to follow your train of thought here.
http://goo.gl/maps/7PtYy

Something like this?
The track to north of Beziers is okay but after Mazamet I don't get it. From there passed Toulouse to Bayonne is flat and not very interesting. I'd take a left at Mazamet to Carcassonne and then head for the mountains. Personally, I'd give the whole area around the France-Spain border a miss, too built-up. San Sebastian has a nice central area of restored buildings but is it worth the ride? Not for me. If you like the ride in the mountains to the Atlantic, and you WILL , there is no sin in doubling back along the same roads, or hit the N260 on the Spanish side. Just sayin'.

RTLover screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 01:03 PM
RTLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #26
Stray Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
( Still trying to find a few back-yards to camp in :) )
If you get down my way, Angouleme16 France
Your more that welcome to use my garden for an overnight.
Although June I may be away myself, but my garden will still be there...

Drop me a PM closer to the date if ya need to

Dog
Stray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #27
tommyvdv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
The track to north of Beziers is okay but after Mazamet I don't get it. From there passed Toulouse to Bayonne is flat and not very interesting. I'd take a left at Mazamet to Carcassonne and then head for the mountains. Personally, I'd give the whole area around the France-Spain border a miss, too built-up. San Sebastian has a nice central area of restored buildings but is it worth the ride? Not for me. If you like the ride in the mountains to the Atlantic, and you WILL , there is no sin in doubling back along the same roads, or hit the N260 on the Spanish side. Just sayin'.
Your opinion is appreciated.
My biggest problem is my ignorance. I can't seem to figure out which places are worth visiting on the spanish side of the pyrenees. If i had a lot of places to pick from, setting up a route is simply a matter of connecting the dots :)

Same goes for france actually.
I should probably get a michelin map of these areas
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #28
tommyvdv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray Dog View Post
If you get down my way, Angouleme16 France
Your more that welcome to use my garden for an overnight.
Although June I may be away myself, but my garden will still be there...

Drop me a PM closer to the date if ya need to

Dog
oh and. that's very generous. I'll let you know soon enough if we're planning to take you up on your offer.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #29
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanish Biker View Post
The lowdown on free camping in Spain is on my blog. OK, it's complicated but that's not my fault - the message is simple really, Be sensible and you won't get a bust'!
Hi Simon,

I finally found some time to check out your link, there's lots of good information on your side, thanks! The Catalan HISS rally also sounds interesting, too bad I don't have time in May.

Pip
Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #30
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Your opinion is appreciated.
My biggest problem is my ignorance. I can't seem to figure out which places are worth visiting on the spanish side of the pyrenees. If i had a lot of places to pick from, setting up a route is simply a matter of connecting the dots :)

Same goes for france actually.
I should probably get a michelin map of these areas
The Michelin ZOOM Espagne series are excellent for the Pyrenees as they cover both sides of the frontier.

At 1:150 000 the scale is good enough to find most tracks - especially the legal ones - and give you a very good idea of the terrain and land use, e.g. forest, etc. and they also show natural parks, nature reserves, etc. - unlike national parks* these aren't necessarily closed to vehicles, if anything the opposite as authorised trails are clearly marked so you can't go wrong by accident.

One anomaly is that there are no camp sites marked on the French side - but that's not a problem as there are so many! In Spain it's a different matter entirely and the Michelin maps are great - probably better than Google although there's no definitive list that I know of :(

The maps you want for the whole Pyrenees are: Ns 144, 145 and 146

Regs

Simon
* I'm only talking about Spain here

The Spanish Biker screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 01:20 AM
The Spanish Biker is offline   Reply With Quote