User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
Mr noname OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Pissed Vibrations on the handlebars-F800gs

is it a common problem for the f800gs, that at about 120km/h, the vibrations of the engine are transmitted in the handlebars and foot pegs, and this results in fatigue and an unpleasant feeling?

A friend of mine, who is an owner of an f800gs, told me that after 1.5 hour of speed at about 120 km/hr, his hands get numb and must make a stop, no matter what...
Mr noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance>
is it a common problem for the f800gs, that at about 120km/h, the vibrations of the engine are transmitted in the handlebars and foot pegs, and this results in fatigue and an unpleasant feeling?

A friend of mine, who is an owner of an f800gs, told me that after 1.5 hour of speed at about 120 km/hr, his hands get numb and must make a stop, no matter what...
Did he try changing the speed, say 160km/hr, as a solution?
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308
I don't ever ride at 120 kph. However, when I ride at 75 mph things are nice and smooth.

Seriously, there's a little vibration right around 4800 rpm on my bike but nothing like what your mate is describing. I've ridden up to 6 hours with zero issues.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
I finished a SaddleSore (1000mi./24 hr.) on my F800 back in January, and my total average speed for the ride, including gas stops, was 115 kph, which means I was up at around 120 kph for almost 15 hours. Numb hands weren't a problem. Stiff neck? Well, lets just say that it was the one time I wished that I'd had one of those ugly popemobile windscreens.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,415
It is very common for a parallel twin to have vertical vibrations. It is not a naturally smooth engine design. Both pistons going up and down represents a lot of weight to off set, so usually there is some where in the RPM range that it appears.
Some people are more susceptible than others. I did notice a high frequency buzz in the bars at about 70mph than seemed to go away at about 85mph. It was enough to put my right hand partially asleep. Either I have gotten use to it or the motor has smoothed out as it acquired mileage.
Different grips, a cushened wrap, or higher gearing raising vibration levels up the speed range are some options.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,633
Don't go 120 anymore.
eddyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Lighten your grip.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
If you're not a tech head dorky gram counter :) then fill your handlebar with #9 lead shot. That should almost eliminate the vibration.

It adds about 2 lbs. and doesn't effect the feel of riding in a negative way.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
NHRedleg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Yep, there is a spot in the rpm range where there is a bit of a vibration. It isnt horrible, but I cant tell you where I feel it because when I doI go a little bit faster or slower and it goes away. I also remember it being a bit more pronounced prior to installing my hand guards. But overall it really isnt an issue and it is such a small narrow band of the rpm range that avoiding staying in that area for any length of time is easy.
'10 BMW F650GS (Wife's)
NHRedleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Geez. I must have spent too much time on that LC4 I had... even with the bar weights gone and handguards installed, I`m not bothered by any vibes. Could try bar snake or lead shot as suggested above.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
14TLC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
An old thread but the vibrations are still present. I have a 2012 F800GS with 1400Km on it. I was very satisfied with the bike until i discovered the vibration spot. The bike is smooth up to 4500rpm. Right after that the vibrations kicks in just like on a switch. Coming from a thumper world, vibrations are not strange to me. My previous bike was Aprilia Pegaso 650 Trail. But I wouldn't believe if someone told me that the F800GS will have stronger vibrations than the Peg. It is very disappointing since they start at cruising speed and in my case they don't disappear with higher rpm.
Luckily for me I have managed to eliminate them from the handlebars. Not from the foot pegs, but hey, no numb hand any more. The reason was that one of the exhaust pipes, the lower one, was touching the engine and the part of the pipe was touching the bash plate near the rear right fixing point. In order to make space between the pipe and the engine I had to tighten the bolt holding the exhaust to the frame, but there is spacer inside the rubber buffer which limits how much the bolt can be tighten. The way to do it is to turn the aluminum washer from the other side and it will allow the spacer to go inside the washer and then it is possible to tighten the bolt all the way.
The engine still vibrates and I can feel the vibrations in my feet, but this small fix eliminated the vibrations in the handlebars.

Here is a link to the pictures

http://s362.photobucket.com/albums/o...haust%20pipes/

14TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
officerleroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14TLC View Post
Luckily for me I have managed to eliminate them from the handlebars. Not from the foot pegs, but hey, no numb hand any more.
I put some pivot pegs on recently and have noticed a pretty decent reduction in vibration from the pegs. Granted they're a little pricey, but I like the added feel and comfort off road too.

I've still got aftermarket bars that i need to tap for some bar ends though, but thats another story...
officerleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,150
http://www.wunderlich.de/shopart/850...p-F-800-GS.htm

wunderlich is suggesting this. Anyone tried?

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
gfloyd2002
Title Free Since '12

Oddometer: 139
I recognize you've solved this, but for other readers with vibration issues on parallel twins, thought it would be worth noting my solution as well. On my Ninjette, which is also a parallel twin, I got similar vibrations at certain RPMs. On the farkle side, I tackled the problem with weighted bar ends, gel grips and gloves with a bit thicker padding. I also concentrated on riding with looser arms and hands, and honestly that made the biggest difference. Also better technique for overall riding. With the technique and farkles I have zero issues now, even after long rides.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,415
Do you still have the foot peg cushions installed?. They are are there for a purpose. The type of sole on your riding boots can have an effect. I have some very heavy soled dirt boots that I wear. It has a steel shank in the arch of the foot. It keeps out the vibes on this bike and my big bore 650. I have pulled the pads off the pegs and made them longer and wider.

As a consideration, gear it up. Using the 17 tooth sprocket off the F658gs will lower the rpm level at least 300 rpm for the same speed. Slows acceleration a tad, but easily handled by the engine.

Either I got immune to it, adding an after market exhaust or it just got better with wear, at about 20,000 miles I quit noticing it.