Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
I would say the new Touratech lower and upper Crash Bars protect the most, and look the best. Looks are very important, right?
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
SW Motech engine guards

After reading a lot of posts on ADV Rider, I opted for the SW Motech bars on my 2013 F800GS even with the understanding that they would fit closer to the plastics on the 2013 F800GS (left side) than a 2012 F800GS. (Which leads me to assume that SW Motech did not retool or redesign for the 2013.) One of the reasons I chose SW Motech was that I was convinced my knees would have room and not hit the bars. I also saw enough photos of F800's on their sides on these bars that I was convinced they work. I was also heavily influenced by this video as well as other pics of Chris Teach McNiel abusing his F800GS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btRvVLA0KzM

Now, having had the bars for 500 miles - they are close to the plastics on the left side....about 1/4 inch of space. I went down once on the left side at 5 mph while on ice covered by a layer of mud - the bars now have about 1/64 of an inch clearance. They did their job, but it was a very soft drop in very soft conditions and I am not sure if they will really protect the plastics next time.

A few months ago another inmate posted photos of how close the SW Motech bars were on the left side on his 2013 F800GS and he added a spacer or two to get more space. I was not able to relocate that post. I called Twisted Throttle last week to see if they were acknowledging the fact that the bars did not have enough clearance on the left and they noted it - but do not offer a fix. They are out of SW Motech bars and I believe SW Motech is out as well - leading to speculation that perhaps a redesign has occurred and a 2013 bar will be out at some point in time...hopefully sooner than later.

When you watch the you tube video above.....watch to the end, you get to see the crash bars perform their function.
Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #18
AK_Troyer
Not AKTroy

Oddometer: 143
I have the TT bars on my 2010. Frame mount was a factor in my decision, plus they flow with the lines on the bike better than those Dumbo ears.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #19
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

I just ordered the Touratech crash bars for my 2013. That means when the bike finally gets back from the shop I am going to have to buy a case of beer and spend a day in the shop installing:

-Touratech Crash Bars
-Touratech Hand Guards and Spoilers
-Touratech Quick Release Headlight Guard
-Touratech Zega Pro Panniers, Anodized Black with SS Hardware
-Touratech Folding Adjustable Gear Lever
-Touratech Folding Adjustable Brake Lever
-Touratech Aluminum Luggage Rack
-Pivot Pegz
-Rox Handlebar Risers

biodieselandon screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 01:03 PM
Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
CrustyOldFart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangia View Post
I called Twisted Throttle last week to see if they were acknowledging the fact that the bars did not have enough clearance on the left and they noted it - but do not offer a fix. They are out of SW Motech bars and I believe SW Motech is out as well - leading to speculation that perhaps a redesign has occurred and a 2013 bar will be out at some point in time...hopefully sooner than later.
I have spoken with and traded emails with the folks at Twisted Throttle and they have acknowledged the SW-Motech crash bars "do not fit perfectly" on the 2013 F8GS, meaning, they know the clearance is reduced from the fit on earlier models. I was told Motech was evaluating this and Twisted would get back to me once they know whether Motech will be offering a revised bar for the 2013 model, and if so I could trade in my recently received and uninstalled bars for new ones. I bought my bike in late-January and had ordered the Motech bars as part of my purchase through the dealer. I'm holding the bars boxed up in original packaging in my garage until I get final word from Twisted Throttle.

It's a bummer because I've now had my bike over a month, will not take it off-road until I get the protection mounted, and now have about 800 miles of commuting miles on it. I made a total rookie mistake last week I'm embarrassed to admit and almost dropped my bike in a parking lot last week. I was sitting on the bike and rolled it forward to get it off the center stand but I also still had the sidestand down at the same time. When it rolled off the center stand the sidestand hit the ground and pitched the bike to the right pretty hard. It felt like it was teetering on the verge of falling over for a moment and It was only pure luck I was able to stop the momentum and pull the bike back up to center balance. I would have been so bummed if had dropped it without the bars on. I sent another email to Twisted Throttle on Thursday last week to follow up on status of new bars, if Motech is making them, and have yet to get a reply. Getting frustrated and if I don't get a definitive answer soon may return these and go with the Altrider bars.
CrustyOldFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
I had the SW Motech bars put on by my dealer when I got my 2013 F800GS and I'm glad I did since I have dropped the bike a few times on each side.

Since I will be spending the summer in Utah and expect to ride a lot in the dirt - and thus drop it from time to time on bumpy ground, I decided to order the Touratech stainless lower and upper crash bars to give me more protection, primarily on the upper plastics. I'm also taking a RawHyde course in September and figure I'll need all the protection I can get.

If I were planning on riding mostly on road I would have stuck with the SW Motech.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 742
soooo, thinking of getting rid of your SW's? Might be a good experiment to modify for a '13. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchoc View Post
I had the SW Motech bars put on by my dealer when I got my 2013 F800GS and I'm glad I did since I have dropped the bike a few times on each side.

Since I will be spending the summer in Utah and expect to ride a lot in the dirt - and thus drop it from time to time on bumpy ground, I decided to order the Touratech stainless lower and upper crash bars to give me more protection, primarily on the upper plastics. I'm also taking a RawHyde course in September and figure I'll need all the protection I can get.

If I were planning on riding mostly on road I would have stuck with the SW Motech.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #23
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
soooo, thinking of getting rid of your SW's? Might be a good experiment to modify for a '13. ;)
I may be selling them after I get the TT ones on, the top bars are on backorder now. I don't mind the way they fit on my '13 but they are tight on the left as mentioned. The times I have dropped the bike it has been at a dead stop, and I can't see that the bars have bent in at all.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #24
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchoc View Post
I may be selling them after I get the TT ones on, the top bars are on backorder now. I don't mind the way they fit on my '13 but they are tight on the left as mentioned. The times I have dropped the bike it has been at a dead stop, and I can't see that the bars have bent in at all.
Keep me in mind. I have access to a powder coating shop so doing some modifications won't look so cobbed together afterwards.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #25
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Will do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #26
CrustyOldFart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Update on SW Motech crash bars for 2013 F800GS

Update from SW Motech and Twisted Throttle regarding crash bars for the 2013 F800GS. I just received both of the following emails this morning

From SW Motech:

Thank you for your inquiry.
you'd have to ask you to contact the importer in your country.
You can find the appropriate country in service on our website.
Thank you for your understanding.

PS, we have changed the crash bar something now fits also for model 2013 (sbl.07.556.10000/b)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Martin Prochaska
Verkauf / Sales
-------

and from Twisted Throttle:

Hey Steve,
We are still waiting the updated revision. Regarding your bars I will absolutely accept them in return for the new revision. [note I still have mine un-installed and in the original packaging that Twisted Throttle shipped to my dealer last month so swap out will be new bars for new bars]

Thank you!
------

No definitive timing on availability yet but will be glad to have this finally sorted out and look forward to getting the protection mounted.
CrustyOldFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #27
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by biodieselandon View Post
I just ordered the Touratech crash bars for my 2013. That means when the bike finally gets back from the shop I am going to have to buy a case of beer and spend a day in the shop installing:

-Touratech Crash Bars
-Touratech Hand Guards and Spoilers
-Touratech Quick Release Headlight Guard
-Touratech Zega Pro Panniers, Anodized Black with SS Hardware
-Touratech Folding Adjustable Gear Lever
-Touratech Folding Adjustable Brake Lever
-Touratech Aluminum Luggage Rack
-Pivot Pegz
-Rox Handlebar Risers

...thats your back yard?.....bastard! :)!
Hamish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #28
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish71 View Post
...thats your back yard?.....bastard! :)!
It's actually the front yard. This guy likes to roam through it from time to time...

Old 03-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #29
TFB43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Posted on Facebook Wednesday

Just letting you know, all of the AltRider protection parts now fit the changes on the 2013 Bmw F 800 GS. We've updated the AltRider radiator guard and a few of the other parts for the newer version.

Order your items here: http://www.altrider.com/en/product/c...s+for+F+800+GS

I have these on my 2012. They are made in the USA and look great. I would recommend them to anybody. They stand by their products.
TFB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #30
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Pardon me, but are you AFFILIATED with AltRider?

You say you would recommend them to anybody, but if you're actually representing AltRider, well, that's a lot less valuable an endorsement than if you were simply a happy user of their products.

(You do say that "WE'VE updated the AltRIder radiator guard..." which certainly makes it sound as if you were connected to the company.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB43 View Post
Just letting you know, all of the AltRider protection parts now fit the changes on the 2013 Bmw F 800 GS. We've updated the AltRider radiator guard and a few of the other parts for the newer version.

Order your items here: http://www.altrider.com/en/product/c...s+for+F+800+GS

I have these on my 2012. They are made in the USA and look great. I would recommend them to anybody. They stand by their products.
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote