Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #46
C0pernicus
Adv nube

Oddometer: 1
Hello fellow inmates. First post. I am an ADV noob, will be taking 800 off the pavement for the first time today

I got the alt rider bars and the BDCW skid plate installed on Friday. They look great. The bars appear to offer good protection, and don't get in the way; I am 6' and my knee pads only brush the bars once in a while, no real contact.

The black dog plate looks to be overkill for anything I'll be doing anytime soon, but at least I feel protected.

I'll post pics once I take them.
C0pernicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #47
AmauryAML
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Here are the Holan crash bars I installed on the GS. These guys from Poland are very serious and the installation is easy. They provide a good protection of the plastic, which is a good point when you know how pricey they are !

AmauryAML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #48
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmauryAML View Post
Here are the Holan crash bars I installed on the GS. These guys from Poland are very serious and the installation is easy. They provide a good protection of the plastic, which is a good point when you know how pricey they are !
until the rust comes... should have gotten the stainless
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #49
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Am I correct in the F8GS stainless crash bar offerings are

* Holan
* TT
* Altrider

?

Stainless is a must for me. Crappy powder coated steel doesn't interest me.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #50
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
Am I correct in the F8GS stainless crash bar offerings are

* Holan
* TT
* Altrider

?

Stainless is a must for me. Crappy powder coated steel doesn't interest me.
And OEM.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:

Old 04-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #51
xsf18cdf OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Touratech bars are stainless.....mine are freshly powder coated flat black
xsf18cdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #52
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
until the rust comes... should have gotten the stainless
Crash bars are sacrificial, if they get that rusty it's way too cheap and easy to pull them off and have them blasted/powder coated again in the color of your choice.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #53
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
Crash bars are sacrificial, if they get that rusty it's way too cheap and easy to pull them off and have them blasted/powder coated again in the color of your choice.
yep what I did (paintjob for tomorrow):

Quote:

Old 04-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #54
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,716
discussed extensively here and I'm pretty sure it still applies for your 2013 since we were the prototypes!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408866
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #55
m308p
168GR BTHP

Oddometer: 5
TT upper crash bars

So I can attest to the strength of the 2013 upper crash bars from Touratech. I mounted them to the OEM lower crash bars after having both upper and lower bars powder coated. I laid the bike down the other day with very minimal damage. The only points of contact were the bar end, 1/2" spot on both upper and lower bar and the rear foot peg (no panniers at the time). The only visible damage were on the bars where the powder coating was scratched off. Nothing bent, noting shifted and most important, the crash bars did their job and protected the expensive bits. This my first post here, so I'll post pics if someone can explain how this site allows me to.
m308p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #56
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by m308p View Post
So I can attest to the strength of the 2013 upper crash bars from Touratech. I mounted them to the OEM lower crash bars after having both upper and lower bars powder coated. I laid the bike down the other day with very minimal damage. The only points of contact were the bar end, 1/2" spot on both upper and lower bar and the rear foot peg (no panniers at the time). The only visible damage were on the bars where the powder coating was scratched off. Nothing bent, noting shifted and most important, the crash bars did their job and protected the expensive bits. This my first post here, so I'll post pics if someone can explain how this site allows me to.
Great to know. Mine come in Friday, and I was concerned that they were so close to the plastics that all they would do was cause damage rather than prevent it.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #57
Trailblazin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I bought the lower and upper TT bars too. Good to know they do the job. How much did it cost to have them powder coated? That's my next stop.
Sold '12 KTM 690 Enduro
Trailblazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #58
m308p
168GR BTHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazin View Post
I bought the lower and upper TT bars too. Good to know they do the job. How much did it cost to have them powder coated? That's my next stop.
I purchased the top and bottom and had powder coated about 2 months apart. I paid $85.00 each time $170 total.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:44 AM   #59
meatwagon1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
i just got the upper crash bars from touratech. It should have been an easy install, but mid way through I stripped the head on one of the stainless screws. Ok, I'll just back it out and replace it. Not so fast, not only did it strip, in both directions, but it bent as well. It finally broke while I was taking it out. So I figured lets get the rest out and replace them, The rest on that side did the same thing. After about an hour of fussing with that, I figured I should just leave the other side the wway it is.

Also on the right side, the sleeve design that goes into the frame, the screw they provide is too long. when you tighten it down it hitts the inner screw that is already in the frame, which pushes the sleeve out. I swapped it to the shorter screw they provide for under the front nose.

I am also not impressed with the welds. I know nothing about welding but I could have done a nicer job.

Touretech usually provides a good product but not to thrilled with this one.
meatwagon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #60
m308p
168GR BTHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon1 View Post
i just got the upper crash bars from touratech. It should have been an easy install, but mid way through I stripped the head on one of the stainless screws. Ok, I'll just back it out and replace it. Not so fast, not only did it strip, in both directions, but it bent as well. It finally broke while I was taking it out. So I figured lets get the rest out and replace them, The rest on that side did the same thing. After about an hour of fussing with that, I figured I should just leave the other side the wway it is.

Also on the right side, the sleeve design that goes into the frame, the screw they provide is too long. when you tighten it down it hitts the inner screw that is already in the frame, which pushes the sleeve out. I swapped it to the shorter screw they provide for under the front nose.

I am also not impressed with the welds. I know nothing about welding but I could have done a nicer job.

Touretech usually provides a good product but not to thrilled with this one.
I agree with the welds. They look like a first grader finger painted them on. I had no trouble with the hardware like you did. My thought about the weld is TT has been back ordered on these for awhile, I think they are just cranking them out as soon as they can.