Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #76
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesofmiles View Post
MKorn....exactly, I am sure they will hold up fine, but it would be nice if TT would clean up those welds and make em Perdy...."Hans" the robot must have had the shakes...lol!
hahaha

Here is the worse spot on mine, it has a small hole.

Another thick globby spot.

02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #77
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 743
Sorry for the HUGE pics.
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #78
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 219
Can anyone tell me the clearance one has on the left hand side of the bike with these TT uppers? I just put them on my bike and am a little pissed of the clearance on the lower left hand side. It seems to me that the bars come within 1/3" away from the LOWER left piece of plastic however on the right, they have ample space. They don't look as if they are mounded improper - could the bike have some funny unproportioned plastic bits down there?

The bars have lots of room in the upper region - just not towards the lower area of the upper bars - if you know what I mean.

P.S.

I have to say, anyone looking at getting these, do yourself a favour - buy new nuts and bolts - I think I was using every swearword in the book while dremeling the damn things off. They stripped half way through while tightening everything down - my god.

Any input would be wonderful!

thanks.
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #79
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,601
You either have bent crash bars or have them installed incorrectly. I just put the TT uppers on Dirtgrllls 2013 800gs and they fit perfectly (after a little wiggling) and have a uniform distance away from the plastic from top to bottom and on both sides. The welds were also OK, not the row of dimes I'd like to see but more than satisfactory. No matter what hardware comes with an accessory I always replace them with SS.

I just wish TT hurries up with Upper Crash bars for the 2014 800 Adventure
Old 07-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #80
The Island
Im lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala View Post
You either have bent crash bars or have them installed incorrectly. I just put the TT uppers on Dirtgrllls 2013 800gs and they fit perfectly (after a little wiggling) and have a uniform distance away from the plastic from top to bottom and on both sides. The welds were also OK, not the row of dimes I'd like to see but more than satisfactory. No matter what hardware comes with an accessory I always replace them with SS.

I just wish TT hurries up with Upper Crash bars for the 2014 800 Adventure
I am wondering if they are bent - I can't for the life of me get them straight. Perhaps I can loosen everything up again and tighten back down. It's almost the bar is too short - not really bent.

So, for the record, the bike isn't awkward in size? The bike looks like it has a larger black piece under the left fairing.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #81
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,601
I was wrong about the fitment of the TT upper crash bars. (The Fabulous) Dirtgrllls TT upper crash bars look exactly the same on her bike. I'm surprised I didn't notice it when I put them on. I'll try and post a pic of it tomorrow!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #82
OFA
Adventure Obsession

Oddometer: 118
Mine are the same. Be careful. Drop it o that side and they'll touch

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #83
The Island
Im lost.

I can't believe I never noticed before but these damn things are bent on the one side for some reason. The left side where it connects into the frame is bent where the other side is not. Stupid if you ask me. If you are going to bend one side - why not the other side OR how about not bending it at all. It's not even if it's a huge detail. I really have no idea what they were thinking when they were designing these.

As far as I am concerned, I don't think it's common for people's left leg to be longer thus, warranting a slight bend.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #84
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
That is some hideous welding goobers.
I have seen teenagers stick weld better with 6011.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #85
JessieRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I've had my F700 GS for two weeks now.

I read a lot before deciding which crash bars to use. There is a lot of information and a lot to choose from. Finally I decided on the SW-Motech bars. It's what they use on the F800 GS at the BMW Performance School in Greer, South Carolina. I figured if it is good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Anyway... I had the bike on it's side for the first time today. SW-Motechs and Barkbusters kept the bodywork off the ground. Bodywork is still good as new, but both Barkbusters and crashbars are scratched.

~Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away~
JessieRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #86
buggsy458
Bad Lieutenant

Oddometer: 52
Wild?

Does anyone have any intel on the Wild at Heart bars? They look like they have better coverage on the 2013 than the TT bars and are about half the price. Just can't see the build quality very well on the website.
buggsy458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #87
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 891
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsf18cdf View Post
I want to put a good set of frame-mounted crash bars on it.
Gary
^Yeah, this ^

OXYMORON : Engine case mounted Engine "Guards"

2 weeks ago, coming down a fairly steep, rock embedded jeep trail, stabbed too much rear brake, low-sided on left side, a rock (I assume) sticking out above road grade, caught upper front loop mid-slide. Wasn't going that fast. Fortunately didn't crack the case, no leaks but sheared the bolt mount gussets clean off. 6 min JB weld has kept all the fiddley bits in place since. Even following last weekend's 1400 mile trip to/from Death Valley ( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897659 )

Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #88
Shooby
Anti-Cager

New thread

Figure if I'm going to beat up my bike this much, it should have it's own thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929510
Old 10-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #89
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Tough lesson on not getting hard on the rear brake going downhill. Front brake, front brake, front brake. Ease into it, load up the front tire and keep the speed low; you'd be shocked at how hard you can brake with the front on sketchy loose downhill stuff.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #90
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
Tough lesson on not getting hard on the rear brake going downhill. Front brake, front brake, front brake. Ease into it, load up the front tire and keep the speed low; you'd be shocked at how hard you can brake with the front on sketchy loose downhill stuff.
Roger that