Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
samueleuk OP
Sam

Oddometer: 70
Getting "bike fit"

Hi guys

have you ever wondered why people get "bike fit"? If you have, you may want to read the latest post on my blog on the scientific aspects of adventure motorcycling.

http://adventure-motorcycling.blogsp...-bike-fit.html

In short, this phenomenon may be related to something exercise physiologists call the "repeated bout effect".

Based on this research, the practical suggestion to adventure bike riders is to have a tough off-road day six months to two weeks before leaving for their next trip.

In addition to refining off-road riding skills, such day will induce a repeated bout effect. As a result, off-road riding will cause less muscle soreness and weakness during the trip.
samueleuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Do you stick some type of sensors on the body to read nerve and/or muscle impluses?

Or is this simply common sense?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
samueleuk OP
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
Do you stick some type of sensors on the body to read nerve and/or muscle impluses?

In exercise physiology we use all sorts of sensors to measure nerve and muscle impulses. However, the research on muscle damage I reviewed in my blog used primarily subjective measures (what you may call common sense or personal experience), muscle strength measures, CK measures (CK is a protein released in the circulation when muscles are damaged) and, sometime, muscle biopsies to directly visualize the extent of muscle damage (see picture here).
Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
samueleuk OP
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post

And if you want to see the kind of sensors I will be using during my study of adventure motorcycling, you can see it on this post

http://adventure-motorcycling.blogsp...ology-lab.html

Here you can see an example of the kind of data that can be collected using this kind of sensors during off-road riding

http://adventure-motorcycling.blogsp...adventure.html
Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by samueleuk View Post
And if you want to see the kind of sensors I will be using during my study of adventure motorcycling, you can see it on this post

http://adventure-motorcycling.blogsp...ology-lab.html

Here you can see an example of the kind of data that can be collected using this kind of sensors during off-road riding

http://adventure-motorcycling.blogsp...adventure.html
Has the gymnist and boxer thing already been overdone?

Seeking new, fresh goround?

A cubiacle worker - one who bought into the promoted program - perhaps worthy...?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
MrEndo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
What do u do for exercise while traveling?

I'm looking for ideas on exercising when traveling and trying to cover some distance on the road. Obviously could walk or run in the mornings but I'm looking for the collective ideas? I recently dropped a bunch of weight and have my routine down and want to travel again but not fall off my game...
2006 950 Adv S/2002 640 Adv/1970 Yamaha RT1
MrEndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
samueleuk OP
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEndo View Post
I'm looking for ideas on exercising when traveling and trying to cover some distance on the road. Obviously could walk or run in the mornings but I'm looking for the collective ideas? I recently dropped a bunch of weight and have my routine down and want to travel again but not fall off my game...
For cardiorespiratory fitness, you have to include some aerobic exercise. Fortunately, running is free and does not require any equipment apart from a pair of good shoes. On my trip I am bringing only one pair of shoes to use in the evenings that are waterproof, light, and good for running as well: Salomon XA 3D Ultra 2.

For muscular fitness, there are a lot of resistance exercises that do not require any equipment, e.g. most isometric exercises. However, you can also find very light and small packed rubber bands or tubes to use for resistance. A good resource for this kind of exercises is this website: http://www.teachpe.com/strengthening...ance_bands.php

Hope this helps

Sam
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
MrEndo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Thanks. I checked your link from before and u mention posting about exercise but I didn't see anything really on it other than the initial "bike fit" stuff. Can I expect more info as time passes?
2006 950 Adv S/2002 640 Adv/1970 Yamaha RT1
MrEndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
samueleuk OP
Sam

Quote:
Thanks. I checked your link from before and u mention posting about exercise but I didn't see anything really on it other than the initial "bike fit" stuff. Can I expect more info as time passes?
Sure. I will post the description of some exercises that can be particularly good for bikers like isometric squat and others. But I write the blog on my free time, and there is never enough :-)
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by samueleuk View Post

Based on this research, the practical suggestion to adventure bike riders is to have a tough off-road day six months to two weeks before leaving for their next trip.

In addition to refining off-road riding skills, such day will induce a repeated bout effect. As a result, off-road riding will cause less muscle soreness and weakness during the trip.
So one day of "tough" riding 6 months before a trip or event is supposed to have some sort of residual effect half a year later?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
samueleuk OP
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
So one day of "tough" riding 6 months before a trip or event is supposed to have some sort of residual effect half a year later?
Correct. It may seem crazy, but research suggests that muscle damage experienced after intense exercise is reduced if the same exercise is repeated within 6 months. It is called the repeated bout effect. If you want to read the abstract of the original research, here is the link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11528337
Old 02-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #12
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
So what your are saying if i am correct is that basically, if i practice at something i'll be better at it and better prepared for it.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
raebear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:

Burpee pushups,---- pushups, pull ups, squats, lunges- 3-6 sets of each every other day- good to go
raebear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #14
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Interesting thread.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #15
samueleuk OP
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincadre View Post
So what your are saying if i am correct is that basically, if i practice at something i'll be better at it and better prepared for it.
Of course practice better prepares you for anything. However, my post is about something a bit different. I was referring to research showing that muscle soreness after intense muscle contractions (including off-road riding) can be greatly reduced if one damages the same muscles at least 6 months before. The fact that the protective effect of previous muscle damage lasts so long is quite surprising but has been discovered through scientific research.

On the basis of these findings, I suggested to do an hard off-road day within six months of leaving for an adventure trip that includes off-road riding.