User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
Noth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Aerostich Roadcrafter 1 piece users.. Quick question

I just got mine from Duluth.. Today I put the silicon lube on the zipper that they supplied with the suit (pretty messy too...)

Do you completely unzip the middle/left leg zipper? I did and it's a bugger to get started again (it seems)..I put the lube on the long zipper and some on the right leg zipper (I ran out) .. zipped them up and down a few times to distribute the stuff and then put it on again.. I just got it, so checking size & quirks of on & off.. but left the zipper joined at my left shoe..It's not hard to get my shoe clad foot through that side.. but I just thought I would ask.. Also, how often should I put lube on the zipper? What do you use for that? I am just wondering if I should go back to Aerostich and get some or I can use other stuff, that's maybe a bit easier to use. I have seen spray cans and squeeze tubes of zipper lube that did not seem quite so runny... so just wondering is all..
Thanks

Noth screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 10:08 AM
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
everything is tight/stiff from being new ... don't worry things will loosen up.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Noth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
everything is tight/stiff from being new ... don't worry things will loosen up.
Thanks, I get that... & assumed that.. Do you use a zipper lube on it, ever?
And the zipper is started up by the neck, just seems to be hard to handle so easier just to leave it connected at my left shoe when I take it off.. Just wrestling with getting it started every time seems silly.. maybe easier eventually.. I know.. but I wanted to ask the question
Old 03-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
yup .. have put dry teflon lube on zipper before. when RC was extremely stiff from being new and when zipper started to grab fabric .. jamming zipper.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Noth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
yup .. have put dry teflon lube on zipper before. when RC was extremely stiff from being new and when zipper started to grab fabric .. jamming zipper.
OK Dry Teflon I have already .. The stuff they sent was pretty greasy and like water so it got everywhere.. That's OK.. but at least I can use something else & not screw it up after this stuff wears off.. good..
THanks
Old 03-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,978
Mine didn't come with a zipper for my middle leg, but the one on the left leg was fine when new, needed lube every other month or so.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Mine didn't come with a zipper for my middle leg, but the one on the left leg was fine when new, needed lube every other month or so.
Funny, my 2-piece did. It starts at the belt-line middle leg and goes down to the left leg.

Are these stiff zippers a result of the new waterproof zipper setup?

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
mine has the old zipper, so maybe thats the issue, but I have never lubed the zipper and it works fine

I always unzip the left one all the way, from bottom to top, as well as the right - makes it very easy to get in and out of

they are stiff in general when they are new, and the armor is really hard when ti is cold, it warms up with body heat and gets softer

for what its worth, any sort of wax based stuff will make zippers work better - you can rub a candle on it, or chapstick -- stuff like that

I think you should sleep in yours for a few nights to break it in
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 418
RC light

I've never lubed my zippers (didnt come with my suit) and have about 10,000 miles on my suit. It is still very stiff and not even close being broken in, I think. The zippers seems to be fine though....

I unzip mine all the way on the left leg.

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,941
Heh, been doing it so long, I had to stop and think about how I take it off. I unzip all the way down the left leg and unhook. It took about 3 months for it to break in using it daily. If timed, I bet its 30 seconds from off to on and zipped. Me likey much.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
Steiney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
The issue is the new zippers versus the old ones. Mine came with the new "more waterproof" zippers and the main one seized up within two months. I sent it back under warranty and they actually offered to replace the two main zippers with the old style. No, they aren't "as" waterproof as the new style but I've been in quite a few downpours since and have stayed dry and the old style are SOOOOO much easier to operate. Whole thing took about two weeks door to door...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
On my Roadcrafter light the zipper has started to bind up. It's getting pretty bad too. It's like the teeth just jam up some times.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
AndyM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I've got over 200k miles in my one piece Roadcrafter. Had the original zipper replaced last year after some of the teeth got messed up. Have never lubed the zippers.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
Bug Dr.
Extroverted Loner

Oddometer: 245
I have almost 100K on my one piece suit and I have never lubed the zippers either. It might not hurt though. My zippers tend to spread out a bit around the boots as I don't like to snap the bottom snaps. If I lubed anything it would be the snaps. They are a booger to get apart.....probably due to the fact that I hardly ever use them.

I love the suit but I wish I had bought the two piece for being able to remove the jacket and keep the pants on.
Mike
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,416
My R/C didn't come with lube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote