User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Harry'O OP
Vespa 50

Oddometer: 42
New DR 650 owner

So I have been riding my friend's DR 650 for a while and I can't believe how well the thing handles in the twisties with knobby tires. I LOVE the option to go offroad too. So, I bought one and it sits in North Carolina awaiting my next trip up there.
Because the bike will be stored year in and out for the winter months (lets say 4 months) can anyone tell me if they have troubles in the spring so long as they put fuel stabilizer in a full tank? Any other usefull information I should know?
Harry'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Winter Storage
Before storing, add Stabil fuel stabilizer and Marvel Mystery oil to full fuel tank. Ride bike around for 10-15 minutes.

Shut off fuel and run bike until all fuel is run out of Carb.

Drain remainder of fuel from Carb bowl (there is a drain screw on bottom of bowl).

Leave tank Full during storage. Make sure there are NO leaks or vapor.
Remove battery, store inside, hook up to Battery Tender or other SMART charger.

You could put the bike up on a stand to elevate both tires ... but not really needed on the DR650 for a simple Winter (3 to 6 months) storage.

The Stabil and Marvel will keep carb from gumming up and jets open.
In the Spring, run out old fuel. Add fresh fuel, then add some Sea Foam to fuel. Should clean up any residual crap in Carb and clean everything up like new.

Good luck.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
And do not use ethanol blended fuel. Don't worry about storing it with low octane gasoline (87-89) as the CR of the DR engine is pretty low.

If you need more info on why to stay away from ethanol, do a simple google search.
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Harry you picked a perfect vacation bike. For some years I left a DR650 in Arizona to fly out and ride for a couple weeks, usually each Spring and or Fall. The rest of the time it sat in a garage which often got *well* over 100 degrees. Before I left it I always changed the oil, added Stabil then filled the tank and ran for it 5 miles. I had someone who would plug a Battery Tender Jr in to the bike every month or so. A couple times it sat from spring until the next spring but that bike never failed to start. The stock battery somehow tolerated that abuse for 6 years.
Honda: 2000 CB750
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
Harry'O OP
Vespa 50

Man these are great responses. It's funny, I'm from South Carolina but I haven't lived there for years and you forget what Winter means when you live in Florida. It has been in the 80's every damn day for WEEKS!! Trust me, the heat gets old too.
So when I get this thing from the dealer I'm going to pick up some products for storage. It think draining the carb is a GREAT idea! hopefully I can also find non-ethanol fuel too; you have to love our government and their infinite wisdom.
Never mind, I truly hate our government at this point but WHOA that's a whole other subject.
I am very excited to pick the bike up and get it going on its adventures. Thank you all for the tips.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
Harry'O OP
Vespa 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewv View Post
Harry you picked a perfect vacation bike. For some years I left a DR650 in Arizona to fly out and ride for a couple weeks, usually each Spring and or Fall. The rest of the time it sat in a garage which often got *well* over 100 degrees. Before I left it I always changed the oil, added Stabil then filled the tank and ran for it 5 miles. I had someone who would plug a Battery Tender Jr in to the bike every month or so. A couple times it sat from spring until the next spring but that bike never failed to start. The stock battery somehow tolerated that abuse for 6 years.
As for you RideWV... Your story is too funny. For the last 2 years I have been riding in NC (where most of my family lives) and I typically trailer my Bandit or just ride my Buddy's SV and DR. Our home base is in Hendersonville and last year we trekked up there 5 times between March and September. His DR was purchase last spring sometime and I have such a blast on that bike. We often ride with a big group of guys who all have dual sports and at the end of the day I always end up alone because they shoot off some dirt trail and I'm left hauling ass on the SV by myself. Now, I'll take a curvy road any day alone over a straight Florida road but it is somewhat disappointing. So I wanted to "be a member of the club" and just bought one sight unseen. Suzuki had a 0% finance deal and I thought "why not?", called Dakawa (sp?) in Hendersonville and there it sits.
Anyway, thank you for sharing your story; I thought it was hilarious how much it parallels mine.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
Harry'O OP
Vespa 50

Someone remind me how to insert a photo...
Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Just buying a brand new DR there is a smart move.

I just copy the "Image code" from my Photobucket photo and paste it here.

Here's my first DR a few years ago in Utah.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
Harry'O OP
Vespa 50

Very nice! you have other nice bikes too I see.
I don't have a photobucket so I guess it's tough luck with the photo thing.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you.

Photobucket is free to anyone. You can start your own account and just load any photo's you want on it. There are other free photo sharing sites too, like smugmug. I'm sure there are other ways to show photo's here too but this happens to be the only way I know of.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Harry'O OP
Vespa 50

Good to know. Thanks ride WV