ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
dixonk OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dixonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Oddometer: 221
Pivot Pegs for GSW installation ?

I installed pivot pegz on my GSW but had a concern on the brake side of the bike....the bolt for rear brake is in the way for the peg to properly fold in. Is this normal?

dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:11 AM   #2
Dusty Kiwi
Kia Kaha
 
Dusty Kiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Nth West WA
Oddometer: 49
Same on mine. I filed a touch off the peg. All sorted now
__________________
i'm not boring. i talk about rugby as well.
Dusty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
nsx
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Oak Ridge, TN
Oddometer: 98
part number for GSW pivot pegs

I have read that the new GS uses a different peg than the previous GS, but can't find this info on the pivotpeg site. I'm trying to find out exactly what to ask my dealer to order (he's giving me a discount with my new bike). Thanks for any info.
nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
dixonk OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dixonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
I have read that the new GS uses a different peg than the previous GS, but can't find this info on the pivotpeg site. I'm trying to find out exactly what to ask my dealer to order (he's giving me a discount with my new bike). Thanks for any info.

The installed pegz are for the new GSW.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
dixonk OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dixonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Kiwi View Post
Same on mine. I filed a touch off the peg. All sorted now

I thought about doing that.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
nsx
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Oak Ridge, TN
Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
The installed pegz are for the new GSW.
Do you have the part number so I can be sure to order the right ones? Do you like them? Some don't. I wish I could try them before buying, but that's not possible. Thanks.
nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
dixonk OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dixonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Oddometer: 221
PP-56MK3 serial # 56/31435MT0660

To suit the following models: BMW R1200GS Liquid Cooled. Although it says year 2012 it does specify liquid cooled.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
dixonk OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dixonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Oddometer: 221
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:46 AM   #9
nsx
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Oak Ridge, TN
Oddometer: 98
Thanks, that's what I needed. The 2012 is what is confusing on their website.
nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Otherworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: RoFo Nation; where crack is a way of life
Oddometer: 277
Installed mine today. Noticed the pegs dont fold all the way up life the factory pegs on both sides. This correct? In a "lay down", seems to me the force would travel into the frame, potentially bending it?

Also, having a very hard time getting the foot under to up shift.
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #11
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Otherworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: RoFo Nation; where crack is a way of life
Oddometer: 277
...can the shifter angle be adjusted?
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
Dockstrada
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dockstrada's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Oddometer: 226
I fitted a set from a F800GS I don't have this problem
__________________
R1200GSA H2O
Dockstrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
dixonk OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dixonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherworld View Post
Installed mine today. Noticed the pegs dont fold all the way up life the factory pegs on both sides. This correct? In a "lay down", seems to me the force would travel into the frame, potentially bending it?



Also, having a very hard time getting the foot under to up shift.

I had the same problem. You need to grind down the peg where it touches the bolt for the rear brake reservoir. I used a dremel and took about 5 minutes. Also as for the shifter I had the same experience. Grab a couple of wrenches and loosen the lock nuts on the linkage and then adjust it up a bit. Tighten lock nuts and you are set. Pegs will fold all the way in and shifting is better than ever.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #14
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Otherworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: RoFo Nation; where crack is a way of life
Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
I had the same problem. You need to grind down the peg where it touches the bolt for the rear brake reservoir. I used a dremel and took about 5 minutes. Also as for the shifter I had the same experience. Grab a couple of wrenches and loosen the lock nuts on the linkage and then adjust it up a bit. Tighten lock nuts and you are set. Pegs will fold all the way in and shifting is better than ever.
Geez.... I lack imagination -didnt put 2 & 2 together to pull out the wrenches. Good to know the Dremel will cut it, and while Im at it might as well dull the pegs a bit. Thanks!
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #15
dixonk OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dixonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherworld View Post
Geez.... I lack imagination -didnt put 2 & 2 together to pull out the wrenches. Good to know the Dremel will cut it, and while Im at it might as well dull the pegs a bit. Thanks!

It actually doesn't need that much grounded off to make it collapse. My advise is use some whiteout to see exactly where it is touching the bolt and grind away at that spot until you get it right. Took me about 15 minutes of work.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014