Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #46
sloMark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Yes, what 2ndSpace said..............the Tundra has one of those mileage calculator things.........seems like I gotta squish the gas in there to get me to around "303 miles till empty." Most of the time it's around 290-298 miles till empty...........so I could not agree more, wish it had a bigger 400 mile tank.

I think I got 320 miles in there once on vacation, but I tried really hard at the pump and took my time (bad sentence if taken outta context )
sloMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #47
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,375
hehe, my 2011 F150 w/5.0 will go 600 miles on a tank, but watch out when it comes time to fill up!

(I know what fuel stations have pumps that shut off at $100 in my area...)

17.5 MPG AVG after 15k miles - love it,

I have had 2 F150's with the 5.4 - nothing wrong with that engine either.

MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #48
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloMark View Post
Yes, what 2ndSpace said..............the Tundra has one of those mileage calculator things.........seems like I gotta squish the gas in there to get me to around "303 miles till empty." Most of the time it's around 290-298 miles till empty...........so I could not agree more, wish it had a bigger 400 mile tank.

I think I got 320 miles in there once on vacation, but I tried really hard at the pump and took my time (bad sentence if taken outta context )

One thing people don't consider is in the winter if you let you're truck warm up before you go it is getting 0 mpg,stuck in traffic 0 mpg it actually is pretty accurate but many don't consider that. Most systems take the last 500 miles or so to figure it
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #49
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy Tucker View Post

I'm leaning toward Tundra at the moment w/ Silverado 2500 diesel a close second.
I've had both. My chevy had way more problems, although it still had original brakes at 175k, the transfer case wore through, front diff leaked continually. Plus nowhere as nice inside. My wife drives a lexus gx470 and this tundra is nicer inside than her car.

even getting worse mileage it's still a better buy than a diesel. At your price point it's going to have half the miles than a diesel and there are a lot more systems at play than just the engine. I've had excellent luck with toyotas, my chevy was my single american buying experience and I'm not doing that again

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #50
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
I have the Chevy like you said and its a nice truck but if you are pulling a trailer a lot then get a 3/4 ton withe the 6.0 because you,all really work the 5.3. Most 1/2tons could work but limit you if you want a bigger trailer later on.
Every person I know, who bought a 6.0L gas, has had to put a set of heads on it.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #51
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
I pull a 21ft boat with double axle trailer and a 2000lb truck camper, loaded up gear and 6 people camping with my '08 Tundra 5.7. It performs very good! I can even get 14-15 mpg at 60mph on rolling hills.
Jays-f800gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #52
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Every person I know, who bought a 6.0L gas, has had to put a set of heads on it.
I know they have issues with breaking manifold bolts probably trashing the heads, a few guys I know have had no issues and good power. The 5.3 is a good engine but pull a load and its gotta work hard.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:32 AM   #53
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy View Post
hehe, my 2011 F150 w/5.0 will go 600 miles on a tank, but watch out when it comes time to fill up!

(I know what fuel stations have pumps that shut off at $100 in my area...)

17.5 MPG AVG after 15k miles - love it,

I have had 2 F150's with the 5.4 - nothing wrong with that engine either.

Too Bad it's out of his price range,

I've got a 2011 F150 5.0 4x4 3.73 extended cab long bed WORK truck

Its my second vehicle so doesn't get used that much. I've gotten as much as 19+mpg on the highway and as low as 15mpg around town. As far as towing I rented a mini backhoe (weight w/trailer about 7000lbs?) and was very surprised at how good it towed.

This is the truck with vinyl seats, floor mats, nothing fancy, hose the mud out. Unfortunately its a bitch in parking lots, that $100 limit at the pump (35gal tank), IMHO 6th gear is a waste. it wants to go 75mph way too easily. BUT It's possibly the best slushbox I've driven.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:26 AM   #54
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
I know they have issues with breaking manifold bolts probably trashing the heads, a few guys I know have had no issues and good power. The 5.3 is a good engine but pull a load and its gotta work hard.
My 5.3L, auto, and 3.73 gears does exactly what "jeeppurz" does; downshifts on every little rise and I run it in 3rd, to save the tranny. I just keep my speed down, when towing anything heavy, and running 3rd gear.

With an equal size box trailer and similar loads, my buddy's Ram 1500 4X4 with hemi will actually go into cylinder deactivation mode, going down the highway. He gets 3-5mpg better mileage, than I, under similar conditions. I'm not too familiar with the newer Rams, but, the OP may consider such a truck. Just a thought.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #55
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
My 5.3L, auto, and 3.73 gears does exactly what "jeeppurz" does; downshifts on every little rise and I run it in 3rd, to save the tranny. I just keep my speed down, when towing anything heavy, and running 3rd gear.

With an equal size box trailer and similar loads, my buddy's Ram 1500 4X4 with hemi will actually go into cylinder deactivation mode, going down the highway. He gets 3-5mpg better mileage, than I, under similar conditions. I'm not too familiar with the newer Rams, but, the OP may consider such a truck. Just a thought.
Yep the 5.3l is a good engine but is mainly for a homeowner truck thats mostly driven unloaded with the occassional trailer or heavy load just like the rest of the truck.
I'd really like to drive a new ram and also the eco-boost because both of them just get up and go.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #56
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,329
I have a Toyota FJ. It's got a 4.0L V6, which is the same as the smallest engine in the Tundra (though now they come with a little more power). Powerhouse it aint, but it'll still tow up to 5000 pounds. The 4.6L in the Tundra is also a fine engine, you don't always need the biggest and baddest V8...

That said... we're talking pickup trucks. In my mind there is only one. The Ford F150 with the 5.0L V8. I'm sure you could get a deal on one. They are fine trucks, I know commercial fleets of the late models that almost never have issues with their fords as long as proper maintenance is followed, though the 5.0 is still pretty new, as are the ecoboosts. Almost everything is quality days, Chevy, Ford, Toyota and Dodge engines are all known to be pretty reliable. In my mind everything else about the Dodge is still suspect, but generally Chevys, Fords, and Toyotas stick around for a long while. You just ought to go test drive vehicles, just to see what you like, when I first got inside a Tundra a while back, I felt the built quality was pretty good inside for their price at the time. Fords and Chevys are fine too.

Engines from the past that stick out as dogs.... Chevy 4.8L, mystery coolant drinker, Chevy 6.0L is junk. Ford 4.6L drinks fuel with little power.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.

Snarky screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 09:13 AM
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #57
2ndSPACE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
[QUOTE=Snarky;20525656

Engines from the past that stick out as dogs.... Chevy 4.8L, mystery coolant drinker, Chevy 6.0L is junk. Ford 4.6L drinks fuel with little power.[/QUOTE]

Little difference of opinion on the 4.8 & 6.0. We have about 30 of those motors in the fleet. Other than wear items and the sensor failures these motors go 250000 to 300000 miles. Most of the 6.0's are in 3500 duallies that cross the scales between around 21000# with the trailer. We lose me transmissions more than anything, even with flushing them every 20000 miles.

Back to the Tundra. I glanced at our data base and of our 8 Tundras 2 are the current model, both 2008's. we have spent $4500 in maintenance and repairs on the one with 105000 miles and $8000 on mine with 160000 miles. Mine is skewed a bit because we spent $700 to solve a cam actuator problem that was caused by the oil filter being install without the inner sleeve. Just yesterday was another $1700 for tires and a bad rear axle bearing.

Bottom line is that the Toyotas fair no better than ford and Chevy's in our situation.
2ndSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #58
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
Support your country, buy American.
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #59
SafetyThird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobain View Post
Support your country, buy American.
Like American built in Mexico or American assembled for Japanese in Ohio or X% of components actually from America or.....?

There's no good answer. Support yourself-get the truck that does what you need it to for what you can afford.
SafetyThird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:20 AM   #60
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,919
One other thing about the GM 5.3's, is it common knowledge that those engines dont run near as good as the older 5.7's? Wife loves the Tahoes and we currently have an 07' with the 5.3. This thing can barely get out of its own way. Had an older Tahoe with the 5.7 that ran like a raped ape. Brother had an 08' GMC with the 5.3, heck my 03' Tundra with the 4.6 (I think thats what it is) would eat it for lunch. Gearing was close in both trucks too.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: