User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
whuddddup OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
klr250

I hate to start a new thread but have read through so many old and can't find the answer. I have a 2000 klr 250 not getting spark when I kick it. When I push start it almost starts then nothing. I tested the pick up coil it tested bad so I replaced it. Also the coil tested bad so I replaced that. I put new rings, new cams, springs, and lifters. I got the bike not running. Got it running for one day before I lost power took valve cover off found cams worn badly. The harness was all kinds of screwed up. Tracked all grounds geting power from the battery to the ignition switch. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
whuddddup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,454
Thoughts:
  • I had a no spark issue, turnout out the coil "live" wire had come off the main solder junction in the harness.
  • Cam timing?
  • Rotor properly aligned on keyway?
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
whuddddup OP
n00b

Coil wire is good I will double check cams timing though. But what is the rotor and key you mentioned and wheres it located
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

This thing. It is aligned on the crankshaft with a keyway, and if it was put together incorrectly it will send the pulse at the wrong time to the coil. I had this happen on a project bike, very odd. You will get spark, but at the wrong time.

Oh, check the kickstand safety.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
This thing. It is aligned on the crankshaft with a keyway, and if it was put together incorrectly it will send the pulse at the wrong time to the coil. I had this happen on a project bike, very odd. You will get spark, but at the wrong time.
As an alternative to pulling the side case cover and inspecting the rotor-and-Woodruff key alignment, if spark exists, a timing light can verify proper ignition timing.

Connect timing light, pull spark plug (ground base), and kick it over. Timing light should fire at the magic moment (observed through window; timing mark on rotor). Anything close to firing 10 degrees of so BTDC, rotor's aligned correctly on crankshaft.

Why pull spark plug? Provides better opportunity for robust engine rotation and consequently stronger spark than kicking over with spark plug in head.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
NONo443
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I know this is going to be overkill, but if XDR's suggestion works and you don't have spark-- get a factory KLR250 service manual (along with the 600 service manual) and check the resistance on the CDI?
NONo443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
whuddddup OP
n00b

I pulled the stator cover off my bike does not have a woodruff key there is a bolt here. A friend told me to replace ignition switch so I did still no spark. Also pulled the cams cover and double checked that timing was done correctly.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by whuddddup View Post
I pulled the stator cover off my bike does not have a woodruff key there is a bolt here. A friend told me to replace ignition switch so I did still no spark. Also pulled the cams cover and double checked that timing was done correctly.
If the valves are timed correctly in accordance with the stator reference and index marks, chances are your ignition timing's o.k. But, you have no spark at all; ignition timing becomes a finer point.

A resistance check of the CDI may be in order, assuming all other connections and components are o.k. Spinning the engine (as in, spark plug removed) should produce alternating current at the exciter coil terminals of the stator.

With a good pickup coil, etc., etc., oughta spark, iff'n the CD works.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

You may want to run continuity tests on your wiring harness. If something is wrong there it won't show up when you test the CDI etc downstream. And don't be afraid to take the wiring harness apart, the KLR250 has one fuse and like 7 wires :-)

Best,