Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #31
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzer View Post
Ten miles down the road and our attempt to reach Prudoe Bay nearly comes to a abrupt end.
Aggghhh...

I love reading of your ride! It's a bonus that it's written in English rather than American...

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #32
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,784
Indeed, great report!
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #33
cycleman2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Well done on the ride report. So are you back home now or !!!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #34
Dazzer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Thank You most kindly .

I will keep up dating this post. at the moment I'm about 6 month's behind and were still out on the road a long way from Home.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #35
Dazzer OP
Studly Adventurer

These are Dazzer's words which cover the next 24 hour's

We were packed by 8am and ready to leave Wiseman which is a tiny village north of Cold foot.
The weather was cold but sunny with slight cloud .

The dirt road was icy so I decided to have another coffee , sat in the Kitchen keeping warm

It was a tough call to make. Leigh and I had discussed what to do if the weather was not in our favor.

The plan we had was if the weather was bad Leigh would stay in the cabin and I would ride to Prudho Bay without most of the kit on the bike should make it do able . However in the light of day Leigh said that she had come so far she was not going to miss out on the chance of reaching the furthest point North when she was so close.

We had 245 miles to ride before dark and the Atigun Pass to ride over . I must admit to being concerned to be doing this with Leigh on the back.
I had always wanted to do this route but to put Leigh at risk was weighing heavy on my mind.

8.30am. The dirt ruts in the road were frozen making riding tricky. We took it steady over the wooden bridge . The wooden bridges seem to freeze easy and are very slippery. When we approaching them I always slow down and be on the safe side.

As we rejoined the Dalton Highway we meet a Trucker .He said we were up her late late in the year for a bike ride and that winter starts early up here. He told us it would be best to give the road a hour for the sun to warm it up before heading north. We took his advice and rode back south to Cold Foot where we had a truckers breakfast.

This would now mean that we would be spending the night a PB rather than making it back to the cabin in one long days ride.

By 10am it had warmed up enough it felt like a Heat wave. well it felt like it but it was still only 4c :lol:

To start with the road was smooth so we could make good progress .

All was going well till we came to a water tanker heading south which had just sprayed the last 2 miles with water. They do this to keep the dust down but at this time of the year with the ground being so cold the water instantly froze .
In the distance I could see the road looked wet. Thankfully I slowed right down thinking it would be muddy.
The entire road was a sheet of ice. I had a big slide as soon as I hit it but thankfully managed to keep it up right and slowly ride to the side of the road .

The only way we could carry on up this slight hill was to ride in the ditch at the side of the road. we did not know how far we would have to ride like this.
It was hard work in the loose gravel and thankfully we only had to ride slow like this for 2 miles.

For the rest of the day's ride I was on guard for wet looking roads :oops:

Scenery is breath taking up here. It turned out to be more remote than we thought it was going to be. We would stop , get the stove out , make a coffee and have a drink and biscuit ,pack away and no one would pass by.

These are the roads we all dream of riding. This for me was Heaven .

After another coffee break to warm our self's up we set off heading for the Atigun Pass. A Few miles down the road a truck came towards us with snow on it : Now we could see the Mountains in the distance and they looked to have a new covering of snow on them.

The temperature over the pass dropped to -10c .
Riding was slow and tricky with the mix of snow and Ice on the road. Keeping the bike in low gear we edged our way up and over the Atigun pass.

The decent was slow but when we reached the bottom we stopped and had a Hug .Thank god we made it over. It was hard going . Time for another Brew and to try to get some heat into my hands :lol:

In the back of my mind I knew that there was only one road back south and that we would have to ride the Atigun Pass again tomorrow .

Prudhoe Bay was now in our sights.The scenery becomes less beautiful the nearer you get to PB .

Arriving there its almost like you have just ridden into a Building site.
Everyone here is at work. I don't think anyone lives here all the time. Most of the people we spoke to ether work there for the summer or do a two week on two week off shift. We stopped at the Prudhoe Bay hotel, which by the way looks like a large porta cabin . The cheapest room they had that night was $220. To much for us :?

They do how ever have a evening buffet. All you can eat for $20. So we handed over our cash and started to make our way through the menu , Both Leigh and I had lost weight since we left the UK. If we keep eating like this we will soon be putting it all back on :lol:

We called into the Dead Horse General store and got talking to the lady inside. She said it would be OK to pitch our tent behind the store for the night. She added watch out for the Bear that's been hanging around for the last few days. Great..

We had just put the tent up when a fox just walked past. We love all the wild life we have seen up here.

I cant understand why Leigh thinks I'm scared of a Bear getting me while Im asleep ;)

After a good meal we were in the tent and ready to sleep at 9 pm.

Leigh fell asleep in seconds,but I just lay there think about what we had to ride again tomorrow and hoped there would be no more snow over the Atigun pass over night.

Falling into a unrest full sleep I awoke at 7 am freezing cold .

We packed the gear away and then made our coffee and breakfast.. Our plan was to get on the road for 10 am giving the road chance to warm up a little and hoped that there would be no ice on the road by then .It does not fell you with hope when just about everyone you meet says " it's late in the year to be up here on a bike " You have to take the advise of these people they know just how harsh a place this is.You would be a fool not to take note.I proceed with there words still ringing in my ears .

Shortly after leaving we hit a bank of freezing fog which lasted till we started to gain altitude . Then it became a beautiful sunny cold day.
As we start to climb the Pass I was concerned about the road ahead. Thankfully the snow plough had cleared the road and they had covered the road with a thin layer of stone chips which offered excellent grip.

The Ride over the pass was stunning. Now the worry of riding the road in the snow and ice had gone I could relax and enjoy the views .

We made our way back to Wiseman and stayed the night in a cabin. Heater on full blast sleep came easy knowing that we had done the hardest part of the Dalton Highway.

Next post...Its all south from here on in.

Thanks

Dazzer
Old 03-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #36
Dazzer OP
Studly Adventurer

Here are a few photos I took showing all the different road conditions we had to deal with in a day. From Hard packed gravel to Dust and Ice to short stretches of tarmac .

Dazzer screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 02:14 PM
Dazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #37
Dazzer OP
Studly Adventurer

On our way down we meet V Strom rider Dirk. He told us that all the camp sites were closed for the winter, so we had to head into Klamath Falls TO find a motel.

Dazzer screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 02:15 PM
Old 03-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #38
Dazzer OP
Studly Adventurer

A early start turned out to be a very cold ride for the first hour. The sky was blue and the sun was shining so we knew that it would soon warm up.

Dazzer screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 02:15 PM
Old 03-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #39
Dazzer OP
Studly Adventurer

Leaving Modesto heading out on the back roads and leave the mayhem of the Californian traffic behind. Heading towards Yosemite National Park.

Dazzer screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 02:16 PM
Old 03-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #40
Dazzer OP
Studly Adventurer

Darren walk's in Death Valley to leave his foot prints at 282 ft below sea level

Dazzer screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 02:16 PM
Old 03-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #41
Dazzer OP
Studly Adventurer

Heading into New Mexico and Old cowboy country. When Darren was a Kid back in the 60's he loved the old Cowboy movies so riding through this part of America was a real treat for him :oops:

Dazzer screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 02:17 PM
Old 03-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #42
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Oddometer: 466

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
'13 KTM 500 XC-W
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #43
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzer View Post
If anyone is interested I will keep updating.

I have yet to cover our ride back to California, crossing into Mexico and riding down the Baja. Getting caught in some troubles in Mexico. Spending a hot sunny Christmas in Cancun where Darren wishes he was back in England . Our visits to the Mayan Temples . Then our hot sticky ride through Central America where things start to go wrong and Being held by the Police in Panama for 8 hours and getting our bike impounded .

We have had our weeks rest which as given me time to do this. were back on the road now so Not sure when I will be able to update, But I will catch up with it promise.

Leigh x
Please continue!!

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #44
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Great ride report

I am enjoying your report very much!

Keep it coming

Ray in Sacramento California.

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #45