Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #16
Marko888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Most I know would let insurance prepare an estimate for the full repair, then cut a deal with them for cash instead of the repair, saving the insurance company money, then fix it themselves for 1/3-1/2 the cost via eBay and living with a few minor blems. In the end, they have their bike, 95% (or better) good as new for riding purposes, and carry on as usual. Spend the left oevr $ on a 2 week riding trip!

This of course depends upon your state reguations. Here in BC, there would be an damage declaration registered against the bike, reducing its future value a bit, but the bike can live on.
Marko888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,091
Personally I'd try and buy it back. Bikes get totaled quickly from insurance companies. They might not let you buy it. You could always follow it to auction at a place like copart and then buy it. In pa you don't need a dealer license, thats how I got my ninja in my build thread although it wasn't mine to start with.

Make sure the forks are good, wheels brakes etc.

Course it might not even be your call esp since the insurance company is involved. My guess is they will total it. Id be getting the seat, skid plate off there quickly

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #18
Pops of the desert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Fix her

If you can get a resonable settlement with the insurance company, you should be able to come out ahead on the deal. Most shops charge $95 per hour or there about for labor which should be figured into the insurance estament.
Damage looks cosmetic, FIX IT and spend the extra bucks on the 990 or your other ride, she will appreciate it.
Pops
Pops of the desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops of the desert View Post
Most shops charge $95 per hour or there about for labor which should be figured into the insurance estament.
The insurance co isn't going to cut you a personal check that includes shop labor costs.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #20
chrish4ku OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Good replies to all - -

I got all the aftermarket stuff off aside from the $170 seat and scuffed up crash bars. Can't really turn it in without the seat anyway and I can get my value back on it. The bike actually took most of the damage up in the fairing area. I see no scratches on the forks. I guess my main concern is where to find the plastic parts out there in online space etc. There are no leaks of gas - the radiator is 100% fine from what I can tell. Since it hit mostly "soft tissue" and not a light pole (OUCH) perhaps it will be worth taking it back. There was not a drip of fluid on the pavement after she slid down the road.

I guess now I wait and see - - and continue to enjoy all this great feedback. BTW the only damage from the slide was on the right crash bar and right luggage rack. Those things are worth every penny. Footpegs didn't even scuff.

2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
Groundhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Some things to think about;
1) See what the insurance company plans on doing. If they want to repair it you may not have much choice (have it repaired or take the money and repair it yourself). But you can oversee the work and force them (shop and insurance co.) to do it correctly. Takes a lot of pushing sometimes but necessary on a bike I think.
2) If they total it would you want it as it was before the crash (with the right talent it can be repaired 98% as good as it was) or would you rather update?
3) If they total it and you buy it back does your state put "Salvaged" on the title? Might affect the resale value.
4) If repairing, be assured (either from doing it yourself or that the shop that does the work) that everything will be checked and put to original specs - especially geometry (frame, forks, wheels, steering head bearings, etc.). That means putting the wheels (front at least) on a trueing stand, pulling the steering head off and checking the bearing races, stripping the frame as necessary to measure for alignment. Stuff like this needs to be measured, not eyeballed. Talk to the adjuster about all of this. If you feel that something might not be checked properly you might consider a new bike.
5) if you get it repaired do not release them (insurance company and/or shop) from responsibility until you are sure everyting is right. Any problems here and call your state insurance commisioner's office.

So many options! Good luck.
Don't mean to sound like a know-it-all. Just things I've learned from rebuilding a lot of wrecks.

Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #22
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,860
Some information

You might already have this type of information, but: http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/salvaged-vehicles.php

It depends on your state. California brands its titles so that totaled vehicles are identified forever as prior salvage. If your bike is totaled, you might not want it back just for that reason. Based on what I can see from the photos, she doesn't look totaled to me. If the vehicle is close to being totaled -- either a little over or a little under totaled value, most insurance companies will work with you if you really want to keep the vehicle. They have some incentive to keep you happy in situations like this.
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson "Who am I? Why am I here?" Admiral Stockdale.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #23
TheMuffinMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,620
Minor damage sir.

I'd fix it. Send the forks off to be checked for straightness, buy some new side panels. These things are burly and can take a beating. If insurance totals it (doubtful), buy it back and spend the money on fixing it up.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #24
ColoradoBigfoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Is the bike paid for or still being financed?
Kelly BB for 2008 Adventure = +/-6k Trade-in, +/-8.5k Retail
If I was faced with this delima I'd hope for "totaled". Only because it would eliminate me second guessing mysellf down the road. Like most of us, my first recation was "get money from insurance, fix it myself, end up improving my lot". But in reality what would most likely happen is that yes, the bike would be repaired, but every time something rattled or squirmed I would think there was a problem that was missed in the repair. Could you imagine the frustration, if while riding one fine afternoon that you noticed something, however so minor, that can never be tweaked back to normal...say like handle bar, fairing alighnment, or an odd feel in certain conditions (like rain). It would drive me nuts questioning if I did the right thing by keeping the crashed bike thinking I was saving money when in reality that was my best opportunity to upgrade.
I would rather have peace of mind over the long haul than saving a couple of grand for the present time.

Not sure of this, but will an insurance company just cut you a personal check or will it need to be addressed to a repair shop?

Good luck!
BTW...nice looking Shoei....good excuse for custom paint job :^)
ColoradoBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #25
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
Good replies to all - -

I got all the aftermarket stuff off aside from the $170 seat and scuffed up crash bars. Can't really turn it in without the seat anyway and I can get my value back on it. The bike actually took most of the damage up in the fairing area. I see no scratches on the forks. I guess my main concern is where to find the plastic parts out there in online space etc. There are no leaks of gas - the radiator is 100% fine from what I can tell. Since it hit mostly "soft tissue" and not a light pole (OUCH) perhaps it will be worth taking it back. There was not a drip of fluid on the pavement after she slid down the road.

I guess now I wait and see - - and continue to enjoy all this great feedback. BTW the only damage from the slide was on the right crash bar and right luggage rack. Those things are worth every penny. Footpegs didn't even scuff.

So it doesn't leak anything? If the wheels are still round and the forks function then you're out a nav tower and shrouds.

Keep the thing.

Or better yet: I'll give you $1000 cash money. Yes...sell it to me instead.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to North Dakota
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #26
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 601
Even if they did total it (and I don't think they will), a new frame can be had for $1,500.00, and that would get you a new clean VIN. See what the insurance company says and then crunch the numbers.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Fix it - I did

Hi Chris,

I have been through this process a couple of times and fixed it myself (had help the first time from Mike A).

I bashed my bike almost as bad as yours twice - replaced the plastics fairings, new engine crash bars, new front fender, new wind shield, new or straightened the headlight mount, new shift foot lever, new handlebar mount and bolts, loosened the forks and rotated them back into place.

Ordered new original KTM parts through KTM twins or the Motor Cafe in Sunnyvale. Most parts took a week to arrive - the only exception was the handlebar mount which took six weeks.

I am guessing the headlight not working is the connector popped out or the bulb got damaged. Easy to check.

This is easy bolt on repair - and can be fun to do yourself - give me a call tonite and I can help you.

Mike Z
zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #28
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 385
I'd keep it if the forks and frame aren't bent.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #29
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
The insurance co isn't going to cut you a personal check that includes shop labor costs.
Yes, they will.

My 525 was stolen and recovered with damage, insurance paid 100% of the parts/accessories/labor without any hassle. I had an itemized list with parts/labor with photographs of the bike (taken from ride reports).

No problem.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #30
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Yes, they will.

My 525 was stolen and recovered with damage, insurance paid 100% of the parts/accessories/labor without any hassle. I had an itemized list with parts/labor with photographs of the bike (taken from ride reports).

No problem.
A very good friend of mine went this route and his insurance co would only pay him $10/hr labor if they were cutting him a personal check. If they paid the shop direct, they would cover the shop's labor rate (which was more like $65/hr iirc).

Insurance regs vary widely by state, so maybe this is the difference? You're in the same state as the OP.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote