Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Semi-knobblie tires for a Hayabusa...yes?

While on the road last year,someone told me that there were kinda semi knobblie tires that had just come out in a street bike size. I can't for the life of me remember who had released them,does anybody know anything? I usually run Avon storms for my touring,but considering where I end up on the bike,semi knobblies or at least something with a little deeper tread may be in order.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Probably talking about continetal tkc-80's.

They come in 180/55-17 for sure, and i think the stock hyabusa is pretty close to that size. Close enough that it would work anyways.

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/cont...rear-tire.html
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
i think shinko has a new semi knobby tire in a 180 rear too.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Need a 190 rear. She's a fat one!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Im sure you could get away with a 180. Do you know what width your rim is? That would be the easiest way to tell for sure.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Need a 190 rear. She's a fat one!

You want to put knobby tires on your Hayabusa to go off pavement, but you're concerned about a 10mm size difference from stock?

L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
You want to put knobby tires on your Hayabusa to go off pavement, but you're concerned about a 10mm size difference from stock?

Do I need knobblies on the busa to off- road?? Nope, just thought it may open up more opportunities to get myself in ridiculous situations...LOL.

Please refer to my epic off road adventure on the busa last year ....search busa to Alaska......ride reports.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,919
If you really want the 190 width, you could use the Pirelli Scorpion Trail that comes on the current Ducati Multistrada. I have them on my Aprilia Dorsoduro (180 rear), and they work pretty well off road, and excellent on pavement. They are not miracle tires off road, mind you, but pretty darn good for a street tire. Pirelli categorizes them as "dual sport".

I would think a full knobbie on a Busa would be downright dangerous on the street.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
If you really want the 190 width, you could use the Pirelli Scorpion Trail that comes on the current Ducati Multistrada. I have them on my Aprilia Dorsoduro (180 rear), and they work pretty well off road, and excellent on pavement. They are not miracle tires off road, mind you, but pretty darn good for a street tire. Pirelli categorizes them as "dual sport".

I would think a full knobbie on a Busa would be downright dangerous on the street.
I suspect that with a TKC-80 the first moment of inattentiveness would leave you with a line of knobs on the road and a slick ;)

However, another vote for the Scorpion Trail - it's the best of the pretend dirt tires I've found as well. No where as good as a TKC-80 off road, but vastly better on road and better than the other pretenders off.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
However, another vote for the Scorpion Trail - it's the best of the pretend dirt tires I've found as well. No where as good as a TKC-80 off road, but vastly better on road and better than the other pretenders off.

Pete
Have you tried the conti trail attacks?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Do I need knobblies on the busa to off- road?? Nope, just thought it may open up more opportunities to get myself in ridiculous situations...LOL.

Please refer to my epic off road adventure on the busa last year ....search busa to Alaska......ride reports.
Hey no, don't get me wrong I read and thoroughly enjoyed your awesome trip, but the incongruity of wanting to put knobbies on a 'busa, only to be concerned that the rear may be 5mm narrower on each side than a stock tire had me giggling

I'm 100% for the MotoX Busa, you rock!
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 AM   #12
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
TKC & 'Busa = Possible record for shortest road-legal tyre life, ever?

Still, I applaud you for doing this and I'd love to see this!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #13
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Have you tried the conti trail attacks?
Nope, I need dirt performance, the Trails are good enough for me to embarrass sports bikes on the lumpy back roads around here, but KTM's on dirt, I will concede, are a real challenge ;) (DL 650).

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #14
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,687
TKC on 1000RR. They may make a size for your busa.

Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:44 AM   #15
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Hey no, don't get me wrong I read and thoroughly enjoyed your awesome trip, but the incongruity of wanting to put knobbies on a 'busa, only to be concerned that the rear may be 5mm narrower on each side than a stock tire had me giggling

I'm 100% for the MotoX Busa, you rock!

No worries! I do realize the ridiculousness of my question,and that I seem to be attempting to make a fairly narrowly focused machine into a " do everything" bike. Inconceivable!!!!! I even toyed with the idea of a bash plate of some sort for it ...you know I may need to start another thread on ideas of " dual sporting" a sportie....hmmmmmthere are many creative minds out there just waiting to be tapped for unusual ideas.

I was thinking to maybe a modified crash cage thingy for the bike and for me, regular steroid use and an aggressive weightlifting program ...lol

My mechanic is one who doesn't like to deviate to far from stock specs for consumable parts,and when I bought the bike,dude had shoehorned a 200 tire on the back. Inconceivable!! But yes, putting a 180 on the back is not the end of the world. Where I would be going its not a canyon carvers paradise anyway.

I did look at the scorpions I think before I left but put on my Avons instead,I didn't want to do a trip of that scope on a new tire that I was not familiar with,I did that once before, never again.

And yes, full knobblies would be dangerous, I chuckled at the " pretend" dirt tire reference. So true.