User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,247
Almost Robbed in Jamaica

All you guys know that I'm half-Panamanian. My mother was born in Panama, but her mother is from Jamaica. My grandfather was born in Panama, but his parents were also from Jamaica. Which means I'm just as much Jamaican as I am Panamanian. Nice Jamaicans, including my distant Jamaican cousins, call me a "Bleached Jamaican." My Trinidad friends always say, "You got some nigga in ya, boy."

And then this almost-happens.

When: Monday night. About 12:45 AM.
Place: Margaritaville, Montego Bay
Villains: 2 men, 25-30 years old, each about 6'2"-6'4", 220#s-250#s.

So this wasn't so much an "adventure" as it was a "getaway." Me and my girlfriend went to one of those fancy all-inclusive couples-only beach paradise spa places. Airfare, airport-hotel transfers, etc., all you can eat, water sports, everything is taken care of you. So you stop thinking.

On Monday nights most of the local all-inclusives give the staff a half-night off, and they offer a bus ride to downtown Montego Bay and free entry to Margaritaville. The bar is a classic Jimmy Buffet franchise/chain thing. Half of the people there were white tourists. The other half were well-dressed Jamaicans. You had to go through security to get in.

It was US$24 for two drinks.

Around 12:45 AM we decided took a quick bathroom break. There's a short hallway leading to the men's room and the lady's room. She went her way, I went mine. I was behind one big Jamaican, and another big Jamaican was behind me. Up at a urinal I started taking a good piss. The guy who walked in behind me stopped at the sink and started telling me I needed to buy him a beer. The other guy stood in the corner and played with his phone. The next few minutes went something like this:

"Buy me a beer mon."
"No."
"I work here. It'll cost you five dollars to buy me a beer."
"No."
He shows me an ID card. I didn't catch much on it.
"Buy me a beer. If you keep pissing there it'll cost you five dollars more."
"It cost five dollars to take a piss?"
"Ya mon. Five dollars to take a piss." I was still pissing. It's hard to piss when you're being robbed.
The big guy kept repeating himself. Things like "Five dollars to buy me a beer. Five dollars to take a piss in my urinal."
I zipped up and moved to the sink.
"Five dollars to wash your hands."
"Nope. I'm not paying five dollars to wash my hands," I said.
"Ya mon. Five dollars to buy me a beer. Five to take a piss in my urinal. Five dollars to wash your hands."
I turned off the water. The big guy in the corner was about a step closer. The big guy at the door had his foot against the bottom and his hand at the top. The way he was wedged in, nobody could open it. They'd think it was locked.
I said, "Hand me a paper towel."
I expected him to want $5 for a paper towel, but he just handed me one.
I said, "So you work here? Let me see your ID again."
So he pulled a blue/green "voter registration card" our of his pocket. He had his hand over it, but I saw the name "Perth" on it. I couldn't tell if "Perth" was a place or a name.
"Pay us our money," the guy said.
I said something like, "Seriously? You're trying to pull this on me? Seriously? You're not serious."
"Ya mon. Pay us our money."
The other guy had moved a step closer.
I said, "I don't have any money with me. My girlfriend has it." In reality I had a wallet in my pocket with about US$100.
Perth said, "How much money does she have?"
I said, "The hotel brought us here. They said we didn't need any money."
The big guy said, "You have some money. Just pay us our five dollars."
I said, "I can't believe you're trying to pull this on me. Come on. Just let me go."
I was still wiping and drying my hands and kind of holding the paper towel.
Then the big guy, Perth, started to fake-laugh. "You passed, mon! We were just fooling with you." He held out his hand for a fist-bump. He let me out.
I got out and into the hallway. There were people around. I looked at him and said, "Bullshit. You tried to fuck with the wrong person." I poked my head out of the hallway and saw two of the waiter-guys from my hotel- good guys who had been providing really outstanding service. I couldn't remember one guy's name, but the other was Carlos. He saw me right away. I yelled, "Carlos! These two guys just tried to mug me." In about half a second, Carlos and his buddy had the two big guys cornered. Security and Margaritaville management were there right away. The two big guys tried to get out the back door. Jamaica police were there quickly. The hotel managers had us whisked out of the bar and into the bus along with the other guests and in moments we were on our way back to our nice, walled, secure, safe, all-inclusive hotel.

The next day, Carlos and the other guy told me that the police were taking care of it. Margaritaville promised me and my girlfriend a free dinner.

Everyone says that if you leave the resorts, it's dangerous for tourists. I didn't believe them. I thought it was just scaredy-cat white people saying things out of ignorance.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
You handled it very well. Glad you are ok. My wife travels w me sometimes to certain areas of the world that are not very safe, my biggest fear is for her to get cornered or for me to get pinned somewhere where I can't get to her. It may sound stupid but I depend on the buddy system ( like kindergarten) for bathroom breaks, ATM, or anything along those lines. We also make sure to let others know where we go - say head call be back in 2 min- etc. jic.
I understand you are trying to relax at a vacation but these scum lazy idiots are just waiting for your guard to be down, or drunk and merry where you buy and give them money. Lazy bastards, stupid too. They are destroying one of the strong industries of Jamaica.
Glad u r ok, could you pls have a rum on us freezing FFs?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,547
You should have been hanging with me and Jos while we where on are island tour in the white little hell bitch. Nothing like being called "whitie" so much Have to keep your guard up along with your situational awareness in a lot of places on the island. Head over to Kingston for a real wild time, MB is tame by those standards.

Jamaica is a very easy place to be taken advantage of imho, they have heavily guarded compounds for the tourists for a reason

I think it helps to look like hell with a beard and wear dirty ass clothes all the time
They got a thing for whitie

Glad to hear you got away without much trouble.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
bananaman OP
transcontimental

This was my 5th time to Jamaica since about '95. I'd been harassed by street and beach vendors, but never threatened.

What I did right:

Engaged the villains in conversation.
Bought time.
Did not show fear (but holy shit my heart was beating! And I kept thinking Shit This Is Gonna Hurt!)
Stood up straight.
Looked them both in the eye.
Said "No," and meant it.
Escaped as soon as possible.

What I did wrong:
I'd had one beer. Really only one. But it was out of a big silly bright pink bong shaped plastic cup that screamed "Easy Tourist!"
I didn't have a clear plan with my gf. She didn't see me when she exited the lady's room, so she went back to the club and waited.
I was dressed like a tourist.

Jon is right: don't shave, let your hair go, and stink a little. Kinda hard to do at a fancy all-inclusive though. Remind me to stick to motorcycles and horses.

In othe news, I thought I'd eecovered from being sick, but my right ear must still be inflamed. I couldn't get below 20 feet down and had to abandon my one try at scuba on this trip. Jamaica diving is usually good. My ear still hurts.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Was it a C/O or nudist resort?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,061
I was there 3 weeks ago, but it was the middle of the afternoon
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
I always carry a knife on me. Those fuckers would have been sliced open two ways, wide and deep. YMMV..........
Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracertdi View Post
I always carry a knife on me. Those fuckers would have been sliced open two ways, wide and deep. YMMV..........

I have fantasies like that too
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
I was dressed like a tourist.
Kind of hard to shed that pale skin Max.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

I have fantasies like that too

Me too, but I settle for roosting the shit out of some asshole's windshield and riding away, fast. Totally doable on a 1 liter dirt bike.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I was there 3 weeks ago, but it was the middle of the afternoon
You went to a nudist resort?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
bananaman OP
transcontimental

What's really funny is that in Madison, I'm kinda normal. In Boaz, I'm kinda black. In Jamaica, I'm lilly white.

No, it wasn't a nudist resort. It was a couples resort. There was a nude area, which is always fun (I'm the kind of guy who loves to run around naked. I'm like, "Whooo-eee! I'm Naked!!!") but it rained and it was too windy for the resort to open the nude area. Dang.

The average age: around mine, which is older than I can believe.

Other than the almost-mugging, the food and drink were fucking amazing. Other than the wind and rain, the weather was fucking amazing. Other than not having a motorcyle to ride, the travel was fucking amazing. It's nice- really nice- to not have to ride a motorcycle in the rain.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
Everyone says that if you leave the resorts, it's dangerous for tourists. I didn't believe them. I thought it was just scaredy-cat white people saying things out of ignorance.
Well... To be fair, it sounds like it would be scary while it was happening, but it doesn't sound like you were actually in danger- if they wanted to f' you up, they would have, but they were 'just' trying to shake you down.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
Well... To be fair, it sounds like it would be scary while it was happening, but it doesn't sound like you were actually in danger- if they wanted to f' you up, they would have, but they were 'just' trying to shake you down.
Of course I was actually in danger. I could see their minds working. I was walking that super-thin line between showing enough bravado to make them back down, and showing too much false bravado and provoking a vicious attack. If I had been just a little more drunk, or a little less sober, or made a wrong move, then I'd have had the shit kicked out of me.

Did I mention those guys were BIG?

I kept saying to myself, "I wrestle cattle for a fucking living. The steers weigh 1000 pounds. These guys only weigh 225-250 and they probably don't wrestle every day. The vicoden is in the safe in the hotel and there's a hospital near by. Chicks dig guys with scars..."
Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
have that ear checked out for tropical ear
boric acid best fix
apply with straw
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote