User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
tslaw OP
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,598
NC700X Luggage Racks / crashbars

I've been talking to Heath at Happy Trails about offering their crashbars and luggage racks for my Honda NC700X. They won't consider offering them without a more significant demand than the two inquiries they've received to date. If anyone else would like to see Happy Trails products for the NC, please send them an email at:info@happy-trail.com

or use this thread to inform me about the merits of other products.

Thanks,
Tom
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I think I am one of those "2" people. They had told me (months ago) they were waiting to get one in their shop to evaluate.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
tslaw OP
aged n00b

I talked to them a few months ago and it seemed not likely to happen. They told me to check back in a few months. Now they said that if they got 20-30 requests (unofficial number) they could tool up to build otherwise they cannot afford it. My first thought was to open 30 new gmail accounts but thought I would try it the right way first.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Sounds like a "chicken or the egg" kinda deal unfortunately.

If they don't offer and/or advertise: "Hey, look here! We made these cool things for your bike!" Well, obviously no one is going to know or line up with money in hand. (I had no clue Happy Trails made anything other than what I guessed might be saddlebags?)

But if people don't know about them to call, and they get no calls...

I have been waiting and waiting for AltRider to show something for the NCX under their "In progress" page, but months go by and nothing, so I gave up and chose other's products.

They both may make awesome stuff, but A: I'm not going to wait forever, and B: I don't like the feeling behind "Well we might consider if we get enough requests" attitude. *shrug*
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
Twisted Throttle is way ahead of them with lots of aftermarket add ons and several luggage options.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/news-...-throttle.html

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
DandM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
I'm concerned with the NC700X being a 1 year model.
Kind of like when I bought my 1989 Honda 600 TransAlp in 1989. I believe the Alp might have been here also in 1990, but I could be mistaken. Anyway; The Alp went away, way too fast. Will this NC700X be the same? I can't allow myself to buy into another 1 year wonder from Honda. Loved my Alp, but...
DandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
tslaw OP
aged n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Shoreview View Post
Twisted Throttle is way ahead of them with lots of aftermarket add ons and several luggage options.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/news-...-throttle.html

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550

Givi and HB are also producing stuff for the NCX.
I've had SWMotech crash bars on a KLR - great, Givi racks on an FZ1 - sucked, and Happy Trail racks on a DRZ - great. I really like the HT side racks but cannot wait much longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandM View Post
Kind of like when I bought my 1989 Honda 600 TransAlp in 1989. I believe the Alp might have been here also in 1990, but I could be mistaken. Anyway; The Alp went away, way too fast. Will this NC700X be the same? I can't allow myself to buy into another 1 year wonder from Honda. Loved my Alp, but...
Since the '12 came out so late, I guess we won't see a '13. Hope it's back in '14, but I won't regret buying it either way. I've had it for 6 months and put 8000 miles on it including 3 trips with a bag strapped on the back seat. Time for it's first valve adjustment.

I haven't really been keeping up - did the 500 replace it?
Old 01-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaw View Post
Givi and HB are also producing stuff for the NCX.
I've had SWMotech crash bars on a KLR - great, Givi racks on an FZ1 - sucked, and Happy Trail racks on a DRZ - great. I really like the HT side racks but cannot wait much longer.

Since the '12 came out so late, I guess we won't see a '13. Hope it's back in '14, but I won't regret buying it either way. I've had it for 6 months and put 8000 miles on it including 3 trips with a bag strapped on the back seat. Time for it's first valve adjustment.

I haven't really been keeping up - did the 500 replace it?
The NC700X is still on the Honda USA website alongside the 500X.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandM View Post
I think it's going to last longer. It's selling well and reaching a broad age range of riders. It is also priced right. Reviews have been very positive as well. Barring any catastrophic recalls I think it will be around much longer than the NT700V for sure. Dare I say Rider Magazine's Cycle of the Year???

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
Old 01-18-2013, 04:09 AM   #10
Doctor Zed
Resident

Oddometer: 1,197
From what I have been told the NC700X is going to be here for 2013.
They should be at the dealers around Mayish.
And I believe the SW Motech skid plate is going to be available soon.
I can't wait to ride my nc700x for the first time.
Doctor Zed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
tslaw OP
aged n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Zed View Post
From what I have been told the NC700X is going to be here for 2013.
They should be at the dealers around Mayish.
And I believe the SW Motech skid plate is going to be available soon.
I can't wait to ride my nc700x for the first time.
Don't bounce it off the rev limiter in first and second on your first ride the way I did - takes a couple of miles to get used to how quickly the motor revs.

Glad it's still going to be around.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

I haven't ridden one yet. Does it feel lazy getting up to highway speed or is it just different?

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,134
It's just different. I've only got about 80 miles total on a demonstrator split between a couple of months, but...if you listen to the motor, you'll hit the rev limiter constantly. Watch the tach and get used to shifting early and it works much better. It won't rip your arms off or light the rear tire, but it accelerates smartly...faster then it feels. Passing slower traffic is no problem.

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
tslaw OP
aged n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
It's just different. I've only got about 80 miles total on a demonstrator split between a couple of months, but...if you listen to the motor, you'll hit the rev limiter constantly. Watch the tach and get used to shifting early and it works much better. It won't rip your arms off or light the rear tire, but it accelerates smartly...faster then it feels. Passing slower traffic is no problem.
Exactly. I had an FZ1 for 9 years. It would do 80 in first gear without hitting the rev limiter so I never had that problem. I was very surprised to bounce the NC off the rev limiter so easily in the lower gears. Being used to a bike with a lot of power also caused me to lug the engine on the NC. I have to remember to down shift if I want to accelerate from cruising at 50 mph. Minor changes in my riding style make it easy to enjoy the NC - just shift more often.

tslaw screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 12:02 PM
Old 01-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,631
I would be very surprised, and disappointed, if the NC700X went away anytime soon. In my opinion, it is a ground breaking bike. Perhaps the most important bike out of Japan since the 1975 Goldwing?

With it's low price, excellent mileage, and built in storage, I believe the NC700X has a bright future.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote