Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #16
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Something that has not been mentioned yet is the safety factor of having an exhaust note that can be heard by people in cars, especially when in the blind side of a driver if they look distracted or like they are texting i will rev a little to let them know i am coming through..its weird GS owners seem really anti aftermarket exhausts..i am a real nut for opening up the exhaust sound and have enjoyed Yoshimura's, Alrapovics, Leo Vince's..I see they make a Termignogni exhaust for the GS..although i cant find one post from any owners on the feedback..strange
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
sno-where
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Not to mention that a loud pipe (not harley loud), is always good for getting those pesky cagers that like to follow too close, to back away. Living in the mountains, I see alot of out of state dodge trucks that like to follow close, but are too chicken to pass. The highway is constantly patroled by the fuzz, so riding fast to lose them is a good option to get many tickets. So by dropping a gear or two, I can blast them back with some exhaust noise!
sno-where is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #18
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,046
Most GS owners are big on miles, not noise. Further, if you do those miles, you really do not want the noise for hours on end. Also, many of us believe that the safety in riding is far more about situational awareness than projecting noise and hoping someone hears you despite the road noise, AC, rolled up windows and loud stereos most cars have going on these days. Lastly, noise projects aft, not forward. So, unless you ride backwards, the cars you are approaching won't hear you.

But, maybe that is just me.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
BMW JEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Another option

I used to own an '07 1200R, and after previously owning several cruisers, wanted just a thoatier sound, but not loud. At the same time, Ztechnik was having a clearance sale on their slip-ons, and their complete exhaust systems (including headers). I called them and told them what I was seeking, and they said that the slip-on alone would not make much difference, but that replacing the whole system and leaving the sound reducer in the muffler would result in a different, throatier tone. They offered me the whole system for about $600, I bought it, and they were right. That R12R sounded really nice, not loud, just a lower, rumbly sound. Worked exactly as they said. To give an analogy, I would say it sounded like a late model factory Mustang GT. Well within reasonable loudness, just a lower pitched rumble. Sounded better than any other boxer I've ever heard.
As was noted above, the cat has got to go to get that tone it seems you're wanting. That said, it's more money and you have to make sure the whole system is compatable with cylinder head protectors, crash guards, etc.

I do have to agree with the previous comment that my 2010RT sounds pretty nice stock.

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” ― John Lennon
BMW JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #20
firstwordisee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Nothing like adventuring in the wilderness with a loud pipe, especially if you have a few buddies with loud pipes too. Hell, lets all get loud pipes and piss of the Sierra club even more.
firstwordisee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #21
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
So, unless you ride backwards, the cars you are approaching won't hear you.

But, maybe that is just me.

Jim
We ride backwards here in Dixie all the time James...that's the reason we have so few final drive failures and our rear tires last for 15,000 miles....don't you watch World's Dumbest Two Wheeled videos?

Also, riding backwards allows you to see where you've been instead of where yer goin'...last I checked, few of us know where we're goin'...especially you-know-who ( ).

Oh, and when you ride backwards, you don't need all those fancy HID headlamps and LED lights.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #22
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
The old Ducatis with the bevel gear drive OHC and a megaphone sounded OK but, the big Brit singles have sounds that are unmatched.

With valve timing that had both intake and exhaust valves opened at the same time (that's called overlap in cam profile parlance), a small dia. exhaust pipe and a short RCM, a big Dellorto or Amal carburetor...sorry, your boxer sounds anemic compared to those vintage Brit bikes. It appears that your archive of motorcycle sounds is limited to modern day engines....pity.
Hey def, no I do not have any experience with old british bikes, I did recently ride an 08 Scrambler with gutted pipes and jetting and I thought it had a wonderful exhaust note. My GSA is gonna make noise, as soon as I get around to the pipe and dyno tuning. Like it or hate it at least we can here it. Best Wishes. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #23
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno-where View Post
Not to mention that a loud pipe (not harley loud), is always good for getting those pesky cagers that like to follow too close, to back away. So by dropping a gear or two, I can blast them back with some exhaust noise!
Yeah, that would surely scare the daylights outta me at 70+MPH watching you drop 2 ratios in an attempt to frighten me with your little motorcycle that sounds like a go-kart...scare me to death, it would.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #24
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
Hey def, no I do not have any experience with old british bikes, I did recently ride an 08 Scrambler with gutted pipes and jetting and I thought it had a wonderful exhaust note. My GSA is gonna make noise, as soon as I get around to the pipe and dyno tuning. Like it or hate it at least we can here it. Best Wishes. D.
When you get the opportunity, attend a vintage motorcycle race at a race track with a road course like Mid-Ohio, Road America, Barbers, Laconia. If you are fortunate, you'll see old MV triples, some of the exotic Hondas, old British iron (Norton Manx, AJS, BSA), Ducatis, etc.

After watching and listening to these 50+ year-old machines, you'll understand...BMWs do not make inspiring engine sounds...they are just not capable of it due to the mild cam profiles, bore-stroke ratios and engine layout...sorry...you just can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear....

....and therefore, you can't make a boxer sound like a Matchless 500cc single or any of the vintage bikes for that matter...it just is not possible without major $s.

Now, if you have money to spend and you're bent on making your boxer growl nicely, fit new-profile cams with about 6-8 degrees of overlap, junk the fuel injection, bolt on carburetors, install high compression pistons, lighten the rotating assembly somewhat and fit RCMs to the exhaust pipes. Otherwise, you're going to spend a lot of money on an exhaust system that will net you little (3-5 HP) in the way of performance and will sound anemic.

Buy your wife or S O some flowers...you'll get much better sounds for your money, if ya know what I mean.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #25
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,206
Ya gotta have loud pipes on a GS, especially a GSA. How else are you going to draw attention to your shiny Stitch, $800 adventure helmet, $700 Sidis, rolling Touratech sample display and all the electronic gadgetry mounted on 4" RAM mounts all over your bike when you pull into Starbucks?

I mean really, the damned valves just aren't loud enough to get the job done.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #26
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,933
Why is everyone so interested in adding noise and cutting performance?
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #27
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
Why is everyone so interested in adding noise and cutting performance?
This is gonna be good.....

Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #28
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeinlondon View Post
Something that has not been mentioned yet is the safety factor of having an exhaust note that can be heard by people in cars, especially when in the blind side of a driver if they look distracted or like they are texting i will rev a little to let them know i am coming through..its weird GS owners seem really anti aftermarket exhausts..i am a real nut for opening up the exhaust sound and have enjoyed Yoshimura's, Alrapovics, Leo Vince's..I see they make a Termignogni exhaust for the GS..although i cant find one post from any owners on the feedback..strange
I have the Akropovic titanium slipon...love it...it takes away something like 5 pounds and looks great. I can slip in the spud if i want to quiet it down for long trips or whatever. HOWEVER, the main reason I wanted something a bit louder than stock, besides all the reasons you mention, is that before I changed, I was constantly hitting the rev limiter or screwing up shifts. I could not hear the engine, and I'm not gonna stare at my tach! The main way that I know when to shift is by sound or feel. How many of you have put music in your earbuds and couldnt hear/feel your engine and it screwed with your shifting routine?
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #29
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 881
Another fix for your ....questionable need is this device. It would require some modifications and an amp. However you would be the envy of the hood.

http://www.gizmag.com/soundracer-v8-video-review/14019/
Old 01-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #30
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
Another fix for your ....questionable need is this device. It would require some modifications and an amp. However you would be the envy of the hood.

http://www.gizmag.com/soundracer-v8-video-review/14019/
That was major grin inducing!
Jazz62 is online now   Reply With Quote