Tailgunner Exhaust. The only way to go!

ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #32
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman8 View Post
I have the Akropovic titanium slipon...love it...it takes away something like 5 pounds and looks great. I can slip in the spud if i want to quiet it down for long trips or whatever. HOWEVER, the main reason I wanted something a bit louder than stock, besides all the reasons you mention, is that before I changed, I was constantly hitting the rev limiter or screwing up shifts. I could not hear the engine, and I'm not gonna stare at my tach! The main way that I know when to shift is by sound or feel. How many of you have put music in your earbuds and couldnt hear/feel your engine and it screwed with your shifting routine?
Dude, I am NOT Ricky Road-racer. Never took my bike to the track 'cause I know I'd get passed by one and all. BUT, missing a shift? Haven't done it yet on the 1150. Maybe it is just alot different then the 1200, but I "feel" when to shift, the vibes in the handle-bars let me know. I also can afford a few quick glances down at the Tach, 'cause I am going at a rate of speed which allows it. Even last year in the Addirondacks and Maine with those lovely (if at times rough) roads and the fear of animals ambushing me and the logging trucks I was still able to move quick enough to enjoy, yet slow enough to spare a glance or two at my six, three, nine, and of course the tach and strait ahead.

Five pounds? I remove my top-case and I loose that. Or almost... If I watch what I pack, I KNOW I can loose more then that without sacrificing camping comfort.

To each their own, and it is your dime and bike. But with ear-buds and tunes, I still hear the motor and feel the motor.

Maybe I should change out the old worn grips?

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #33
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
Tailgunner Exhaust. The only way to go!

Yeah, these come wif a $10 off coupon to your favorite tattoo shop to have Pene Pequeño inked across your forehead.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #34
Clemens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You want loud? Get an Acropovic full exhaust. Not only are they stupid loud, but you get to pay a premium for the pleasure of offending everyone!

Jim
I had a friend with an Aprilia RSVR Factory (that I later bought off of him) that had Acropovic cans. It was loud. Probably the loudest sport bike I've ever heard. One day leaving work he started up before me. Except for a little vibration I couldn't even tell that my poor little SV650S w/ a full M4 system had started. It was completely drowned out by the cacophony from his Aprilia.
Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #35
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,072
Quote:
I have the Akropovic titanium slipon...love it...it takes away something like 5 pounds and looks great. I can slip in the spud if i want to quiet it down for long trips or whatever. HOWEVER, the main reason I wanted something a bit louder than stock, besides all the reasons you mention, is that before I changed, I was constantly hitting the rev limiter or screwing up shifts. I could not hear the engine, and I'm not gonna stare at my tach! The main way that I know when to shift is by sound or feel. How many of you have put music in your earbuds and couldnt hear/feel your engine and it screwed with your shifting routine?
Listen to music with custom molded ear buds...never had this problem..??

Maybe you need more practice sans extra music..Harley noises...etc??
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #36
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeinlondon View Post
Something that has not been mentioned yet is the safety factor of having an exhaust note that can be heard by people in cars, especially when in the blind side of a driver if they look distracted or like they are texting i will rev a little to let them know i am coming through..its weird GS owners seem really anti aftermarket exhausts..i am a real nut for opening up the exhaust sound and have enjoyed Yoshimura's, Alrapovics, Leo Vince's..I see they make a Termignogni exhaust for the GS..although i cant find one post from any owners on the feedback..strange
It hasn't been mentioned..because you don't hear a loud bike until it's in front of you...

FFS....

You like to rev your bike next to drivers?? :ymca
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #37
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Most GS owners are big on miles, not noise. Further, if you do those miles, you really do not want the noise for hours on end. Also, many of us believe that the safety in riding is far more about situational awareness than projecting noise and hoping someone hears you despite the road noise, AC, rolled up windows and loud stereos most cars have going on these days. Lastly, noise projects aft, not forward. So, unless you ride backwards, the cars you are approaching won't hear you.

But, maybe that is just me.

Jim
+ a kazillion kazillion.

I live in a loud world. From tractors to chain saws to guns, motorcycles, rock and roll, and airplanes. I value my hearing. On the farm today with the chainsaw, I wore ear plugs AND ear muffs.

Loud pipe motorcycle riders are assholes.
bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #38
Vlakhaas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I have a Akrapovic full free flow titanium twin can system on the GSA. I LOVE the sound, deep and throaty, but still a lot less loud than my dad's Low Rider.

On the desert roads I ride the towns are 350km+ apart and you might see one or two cars on the road. No chance of pissing off anyone else!
Vlakhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #39
channa51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I ride a GS to experience a world ordinarily out of bounds for most machines, but, in the Eastern USA, people live everywhere. A quiet machine gets me in and out without pissing off people who like their solitude. Win-win, live and let live, and depending on whom you encounter-live to ride another day.
channa51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #40
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Listen to music with custom molded ear buds...never had this problem..??

Maybe you need more practice sans extra music..Harley noises...etc??
Who do you use for custom molded earbuds? I laid down $230+ for a pair of EAR inc customs and they totally SUCK. MUCH better are the Etymotic isolation buds for about $70.
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #41
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
Dude, I am NOT Ricky Road-racer. Never took my bike to the track 'cause I know I'd get passed by one and all. BUT, missing a shift? Haven't done it yet on the 1150. Maybe it is just alot different then the 1200, but I "feel" when to shift, the vibes in the handle-bars let me know. I also can afford a few quick glances down at the Tach, 'cause I am going at a rate of speed which allows it. Even last year in the Addirondacks and Maine with those lovely (if at times rough) roads and the fear of animals ambushing me and the logging trucks I was still able to move quick enough to enjoy, yet slow enough to spare a glance or two at my six, three, nine, and of course the tach and strait ahead.

Five pounds? I remove my top-case and I loose that. Or almost... If I watch what I pack, I KNOW I can loose more then that without sacrificing camping comfort.

To each their own, and it is your dime and bike. But with ear-buds and tunes, I still hear the motor and feel the motor.

Maybe I should change out the old worn grips?
Never said I MISSED a shift...just didnt match RPM as best I could due to not being able to hear the engine! And dont tell me you've never hit the rev limiter!? These things only go up to about 7krpm!...thats not even into the power band on an R6!
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #42
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #43
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,030
Quote:
Never said I MISSED a shift...just didnt match RPM as best I could due to not being able to hear the engine! And dont tell me you've never hit the rev limiter!? These things only go up to about 7krpm!...thats not even into the power band on an R6!
Never touched the rev limiter. This is not a sport bike. I tour, explore, and get lost on it. I don't try and scrape my bags, though I've done it. I'm not out to hit the ton, though I've come close.

I'm a boring rider who has a finely honed sense of self preservation. I do "speed", as in over the legal limit, I have giggled like a school girl on some of the roads I've been on. But at a rate that would (assuming from some guys posts, in this thread and elsewhere) bore the stuffings out of most.

I had an FZR1000 back in the day though, and I missed a few shifts, or messed em up pretty good. Usually on strait coastal NC secondary roads, and it generally involved another bike and a friendly wager. I learned quickly the machine had greater ability than did the pilot!!!

I'm gonna go for a ride. The sun is out and it's over forty degrees!!!! Later!!!

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #44
diesel&dust
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hi , there all you lame gs riders , lol just kidding . Im from south africa . i ride a 2004 gs 1200 with stock silencer,used to super bikes for the last say 15 odd years,i just had to make a plan with my kind of hoover washing machine sound on the gs. after doing my home work regarding performance and engine fueling regarding running to lean or rich, i decided to gut my silencer. what i did was removing the catylist converter completely as well as all the baffles in the silencer. man what a sound of music,regarding performance , low down torque and top end . all is so much better if you want a more quieter sound then just go easy on the throttle ,if you want loud ,and i mean surprisingly not to rob the gs of its high standard of quality then just go big on the throttle. there is i slight back fire on gearing back, but only if you keep the throttle slightly open . i would recommend this highly to any one who doesnt whant to pay an arm and a leg to gain the same as what i did .and i must say i get complement from the gs fratenerty all over
diesel&dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #45
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,147
When I want a hard on I just add some playing cards to Linda's spokes like I did when I had my Schwinn Typhoon.

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,... Is he still wrong?

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote